Not getting FOID approval by 30-day deadline

Received it yesterday, so they were two weeks late.

Two weeks late from you having it in hand or two weeks late in approving and/or denying it?

Many time the portal doesn’t show the approval, but the inspect element trick will show approved for periods of time before the actual portal shows it!

Everything I read says 30, 60, 90, 120 days etc to either approve or deny an applicant. Nothing I can find says they must by law have it in our grubby little hands in those listed time frames.

Another good way to help with these things, things that MollyB has to post two, three, and sometimes four times before people read them, is to become a supporting team member here. It costs to get things moved forward. $25.00 for a year or make a donation directed at an actual case, like the latest being talked about “Brown”, just put it in the comments area.

As Molly and others have pointed out, it's 30 days for initial approval. They were two weeks late in issuing their approval.

I've been joining Illinois gun groups, but what exactly would money for Illinois Carry do? I'm new to the forum this year, but I've only seen a couple of allusions to some challenge to the state gun dealer law that doesn't involve a lawsuit.

As Molly and others have pointed out, it's 30 days for initial approval. They were two weeks late in issuing their approval.

I've been joining Illinois gun groups, but what exactly would money for Illinois Carry do? I'm new to the forum this year, but I've only seen a couple of allusions to some challenge to the state gun dealer law that doesn't involve a lawsuit.

Molly lobbies and helps us in many ways. Recently, I was having an issue getting my renewal going and Molly got in touch right people and broke it loose. I was calling and emailing everyday for a couple weeks with no response. Your money will not be wasted here.

Edited by John Q Public

I've been joining Illinois gun groups, but what exactly would money for Illinois Carry do?

Not completely sure how the accounting goes but on first thought consider Molly and Mr Molly are registered lobbyists in Springfield. Along with costs involved with that e.g food, travel, lodging, etc there is the upkeep of the website e.g. website hosting, software maintenance/upgrades (some day?), acquisition of IC gear for sale, etc.

As a supporting member you also get the ability to edit your posts.

In addition to other IL groups like ISRA, FFL-IL and GSL, perhaps consider national ones as well like NRA, SAF, and GOA which have assisted in partnering with legal cases here

Funding right now is needed for the town hall meetings we are doing around the state focus on getting state's attorneys on board to protect second amendment if bills like sb107 pass. We have not registered as lobbyists for 2019 yet because we believe we can be more effective in this effort.

Also to help Second Amendment Foundation with legal costs for Illinois litigation.

I think some have tried. previously it was 30 days not its 60 days, you would have to wait to file suit till after the 60 day mark.

It is still 30 days for new FOIDs, They have 60 days for renewals and FOID remains active during that time.

So are some people actually getting their first FOID card in 30 days from when they applied?

Edited by junglebob

I think some have tried. previously it was 30 days not its 60 days, you would have to wait to file suit till after the 60 day mark.

It is still 30 days for new FOIDs, They have 60 days for renewals and FOID remains active during that time.

So are some people actually getting their first FOID card in 30 days from when they applied?

My brother and wife applied (jan 27th) to approved was 20 something days and till card in hand was another 3 days. My brother in law applied (feb 14th) to approved was 14 days but till card in hand was another 10-12 days.

I've been told that women are more likely to get theirs faster because it's assumed that they're applying because they live in a house with guns and are trying to avoid constructive possession.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Edited by skinnyb82

• 1 month later...

How far in advance of the expiration date can you apply to renew your FOID? Mine expires in 2021 and I know the new "Fix the FOID" legislation will become law since there aren't enough pro-gun people in office in Springfield to stop it. It would be nice to get in under the date it's enacted to save being fingerprinted and paying the increased fee.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied for a FOID card for/with my 16 year old daughter on 4/2/19 and it is still showing under review today 6/4/19. 63 days and counting. Interesting that the website still shows 30 day limit in their explanation.

b444189fe5d25922c0293f7099c1bad2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by spu69

I applied for a FOID card for/with my 16 year old daughter on 4/2/19 and it is still showing under review today 6/4/19. 63 days and counting. Interesting that the website still shows 30 day limit in their explanation.

b444189fe5d25922c0293f7099c1bad2.jpg

30 days new app, 60 days renewal. It is what it is. If you cant get through on phone, best you can probably do is try asking your state Senator or Rep to inquire. Edited by InterestedBystander

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro30 days new app, 60 days renewal. It is what it is. If you cant get through on phone, best you can probably do is try asking your state Senator or Rep to inquire.

It is a new App. ETA: I will heed your suggestion.

Edited by spu69

• 3 weeks later...

January 1, 2019 the law took effect, the state police have 60 days to process the application or renew of a FOID card.

New applications must be processed in 30 days. "Renewal applications shall be approved or denied within 60 business days"

16 year old daughter's FOID applied 4-2-19, so 60 business days translates to 12 weeks, or 84 calendar days roughly depending on when the weekends fall. 85 days today, and still under review. Ridiculous. ETA: Nobody answers the phone at the FOID number. Just emailed my rep for assistance.

Edited by spu69

Every so often the ISP can do things in a timely manner.
Actually you'll find that they process FOID apps for women much faster than for men. Presumably it's because the husband/dad/significant other/uncle/whatever is the gun owner and woman needs the FOID to "make it legal" since "constructive possession." This could be argued as a sexist policy. Hrmph....Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Every so often the ISP can do things in a timely manner.
Actually you'll find that they process FOID apps for women much faster than for men. Presumably it's because the husband/dad/significant other/uncle/whatever is the gun owner and woman needs the FOID to "make it legal" since "constructive possession." This could be argued as a sexist policy. Hrmph.... Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Equality!!

• 3 weeks later...

16 year old daughter's FOID applied 4-2-19, so 60 business days translates to 12 weeks, or 84 calendar days roughly depending on when the weekends fall. 85 days today, and still under review. Ridiculous. ETA: Nobody answers the phone at the FOID number. Just emailed my rep for assistance.

Finally after getting my pro2a rep involved and getting some guidance on phone numbers to call from Molly, her card is active and reportedly being sent to the printer. Thanks Molly for the numbers! 116 days. They are really behind.

Edited by spu69

• 9 months later...

I applied on 2/16/2020 for my FOID card and it still as of 5/5/2020 states under review? THIS IS OVER 75 days and it is impossible for me to get a hold of anyone to find out what the hold up is. Extremely frustrating on all parts, a complete violation of my 2nd Amendment rights!!!!

A right delayed is a right denied.

I applied on 2/16/2020 for my FOID card and it still as of 5/5/2020 states under review? THIS IS OVER 75 days and it is impossible for me to get a hold of anyone to find out what the hold up is. Extremely frustrating on all parts, a complete violation of my 2nd Amendment rights!!!!

have you tried the right-click trick on the website to see exactly where you are?