Gun Ban Registration - Will CCL / FOID Identify Us as POI?

Hipshot Percussion

Here's Dart complaining he couldn't get a warrant.

https://patch.com/illinois/chicago/sheriff-wants-task-forces-collect-guns-when-foid-cards-revoked

"We tried to get a search warrant yesterday for a situation with a person with guns and the state's attorney's office wouldn't give it to us they said we didn't have enough probable cause," Dart said.

Dart hates it when the Constitution stands in his way.

Remember a few years ago when Illinois imposed registration on anyone buying "professional strength" drain cleaner, after two women were doused with a chemical in Chicago? Ace Hardware in Highland Park wanted to record my ID and other personal information for an off-the-shelf product.

I declined adding my name and address to what would certainly be a "Person Of Interest" list. Our Illinois Senator said it was a "trial measure" - but what does that mean once bill is made law? The state had no qualms with creating such a list of potential suspects.

What this is going to do is cause law-abiding but privacy-demanding citizens to hide their firearms more and to avoid using FFLs for any sort of private transfer, so that they have firearms that are not potentially "on the books" for confiscation.

Not to mention that individuals with FOID cards are the demographic least likely to commit any sort of crime in Illinois, other than CCL holders. How do I know this? Because of the rarity of FOID card revocations for committing crimes in Illinois is a fraction of the number of holders. Most revocations are due to people leaving the state, according to academics I have talked to on this subject who study crime and violence. Also, the vast majority of gang members, the single largest crime-committing demographic in the entire state, are either ineligible to have a FOID or they are underage, like that murderous, little moron who shot that actual honor student in Old Irving Park recently.

Imagine that, the people that idiotic politicians like Dart are most concerned about are the ones who are going to commit a fraction of violence and crimes with firearms that non-FOID holders will.

That, to me, seems like a criminal waste of resources and focus, and should be prosecuted as such.

Actually, way back in 1968 as the FOID Act was being put into place, Mayor RIchard J. Daley himself said to the Tribune that the FOID Act would facilitate the ISP going door-to-door when the day came that handguns were going to be banned altogether in Illinois in the following decade.

Wish I could find this reference, but I do have a very clear memory of it.

Soooo....if I send my potentially contraband firearms out of State like in a safe in a storage unit would they be immune to a search if the renter lives in Illinois? I'm thinking that Illinois might wanna burn a few of us who do not register/comply like folks who might have a number of unregistered firearms and pull a "no knock" wee hours raid to throw us in jail and fine us into financial oblivion to make an example to the rest of the folks who did not comply.

Could they get a Warrant to search an out of State Storage unit?

I'm wondering if they intentionally want as many victims as possible given the fact that they make money when we are in jail and, if as many people refuse to comply as say they will not comply the State could conceivably make *millions* in fines. If these laws are passed and enforced there is potentially millions of dollars to be made liquidating guys like me with fines and jail time. Most think they cannot/will not enforce door to door searches of people they have records of having an AR transferred to them but I'm not convinced that this is not the potential beginning of a new Police State.

There's lot of money to be had persecuting and prosecuting good honest citizens. We are easy to find.

VooDoo

Soooo....if I send my potentially contraband firearms out of State like in a safe in a storage unit would they be immune to a search if the renter lives in Illinois? I'm thinking that Illinois might wanna burn a few of us who do not register/comply like folks who might have a number of unregistered firearms and pull a "no knock" wee hours raid to throw us in jail and fine us into financial oblivion to make an example to the rest of the folks who did not comply.

I'm wondering if they intentionally want as many victims as possible given the fact that they make money when we are in jail and, if as many people refuse to comply as say they will not comply the State could conceivably make *millions* in fines. If these laws are passed and enforced there is potentially millions of dollars to be made liquidating guys like me with fines and jail time. Most think they cannot/will not enforce door to door searches of people they have records of having an AR transferred to them but I'm not convinced that this is not the potential beginning of a new Police State.

There's lot of money to be had persecuting and prosecuting good honest citizens. We are easy to find.

VooDoo

ISP has no jurisdiction in other states. Plus the ban is against possession not ownership. Removing band firearms from Illinois was listed as an option on the bill I saw. Besides how would the ISP know what storage facility you have your stuff at?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

VooDoo

100% safe from ISP and idiotic Illinois law. storage units close to but just outside all borders may be hard to find if / when this law happens

100% safe from ISP and idiotic Illinois law. storage units close to but just outside all borders may be hard to find if / when this law happens

Sounds like quite the business opportunity!

That thought had occurred to me as well. a good sturdy building with a good alarm system full of gun safes a person could rent by the month. I'd even set it up so auto pay on the credit / debit card shows up as a golf course membership for the nervous types.

Archived