Carrying in Illinois State parks

flw

From the DNR website;

On what IDNR properties may an Illinois Concealed Carry Permit holder carry a concealed firearm?

Illinois Concealed Carry Permit holders may carry a concealed firearm on any IDNR real property (including bike trails, trails, or any other designated public hunting area or building where firearm possession is permitted by the IDNR) with the following exceptions: All IDNR Office buildings, including but not limited to the Joel D. Brunsvold Building (IDNR Springfield Headquarters Building), IDNR Regional Office buildings, IDNR State Museum buildings, and any other IDNR building marked with the ISP-approved sign prohibiting firearms. All firearms, including concealed firearms, are also prohibited on all IDNR State Refuge areas, IDNR Dedicated Nature Preserves, and IDNR children playground areas. When visiting any of these locations, Concealed Carry Permit holders are required to secure their concealed firearms in their vehicle in accordance with the Illinois Concealed Carry Act.

Can an Illinois Concealed Carry Permit holder possess a concealed firearm on or in a watercraft, off-highway vehicle, or snowmobile?

Yes, but only if the watercraft, off-highway vehicle, or snowmobile is operated in an area not prohibited under the Concealed Carry Act.

So where is "firearm possession ... permitted by the IDNR" ?

My understanding is any IDNR state park that is not a wildlife preserve, is not in Cook County, and is not a designated hunting area for deer or turkey (whether in season or not).

I don't know anything specifically about the parks you mention.

From the DNR website;

On what IDNR properties may an Illinois Concealed Carry Permit holder carry a concealed firearm?Illinois Concealed Carry Permit holders may carry a concealed firearm on any IDNR real property (including bike trails, trails, or any other designated public hunting area or building where firearm possession is permitted by the IDNR) with the following exceptions: All IDNR Office buildings, including but not limited to the Joel D. Brunsvold Building (IDNR Springfield Headquarters Building), IDNR Regional Office buildings, IDNR State Museum buildings, and any other IDNR building marked with the ISP-approved sign prohibiting firearms. All firearms, including concealed firearms, are also prohibited on all IDNR State Refuge areas, IDNR Dedicated Nature Preserves, and IDNR children playground areas. When visiting any of these locations, Concealed Carry Permit holders are required to secure their concealed firearms in their vehicle in accordance with the Illinois Concealed Carry Act.Can an Illinois Concealed Carry Permit holder possess a concealed firearm on or in a watercraft, off-highway vehicle, or snowmobile?Yes, but only if the watercraft, off-highway vehicle, or snowmobile is operated in an area not prohibited under the Concealed Carry Act.

So where is "firearm possession ... permitted by the IDNR" ?My understanding is any IDNR state park that is not a wildlife preserve, is not in Cook County, and is not a designated hunting area for deer or turkey (whether in season or not).I don't know anything specifically about the parks you mention.
I have asked the rangers at our local wildlife preserve and was told carry was ok. In fact they recommended it

My understanding is any IDNR state park that is not a wildlife preserve, is not in Cook County, and is not a designated hunting area for deer or turkey (whether in season or not).

What does being in Cook County have to do with it?

Cook is Cook. They're special.

But seriously, there's nothing that makes carrying in a STATE park illegal just because it happens to be in Cook County.

If you just pulled over and walked to the woods, how would you even know it's CCFPD?

In Michigan, if I wanted to keep someone from hunting on my land I had to post a no hunting sign every 100 feet or so. I don't recall the exact distance but you also had the choice of painting trees purple if you don't want to post a sign.

Cook County should post no gun signs every 100 feet or paint trees purple.

From the DNR website;
On what IDNR properties may an Illinois Concealed Carry Permit holder carry a concealed firearm?Illinois Concealed Carry Permit holders may carry a concealed firearm on any IDNR real property (including bike trails, trails, or any other designated public hunting area or building where firearm possession is permitted by the IDNR) with the following exceptions: All IDNR Office buildings, including but not limited to the Joel D. Brunsvold Building (IDNR Springfield Headquarters Building), IDNR Regional Office buildings, IDNR State Museum buildings, and any other IDNR building marked with the ISP-approved sign prohibiting firearms. All firearms, including concealed firearms, are also prohibited on all IDNR State Refuge areas, IDNR Dedicated Nature Preserves, and IDNR children playground areas. When visiting any of these locations, Concealed Carry Permit holders are required to secure their concealed firearms in their vehicle in accordance with the Illinois Concealed Carry Act.Can an Illinois Concealed Carry Permit holder possess a concealed firearm on or in a watercraft, off-highway vehicle, or snowmobile?Yes, but only if the watercraft, off-highway vehicle, or snowmobile is operated in an area not prohibited under the Concealed Carry Act.
So where is "firearm possession ... permitjted by the IDNR" ?My understanding is any IDNR state park that is not a wildlife preserve, is not in Cook County, and is not a designated hunting area for deer or turkey (whether in season or not).I don't know anything specifically about the parks you mention.[/quote

It appears that CC is allowed in designated hunting areas except when deer or turkey season is open.

From Illinois DNR Q & A:

Under the current regulations, Concealed Carry Permit holders are not allowed to possess any firearm, including a concealed firearm, when deer or turkey hunting unless the firearm carried is legal for taking the species being hunted. For example, an archery deer hunter would not be able to carry any firearm, whether concealed or not, when archery deer hunting. However, if a concealed carry permit holder is hunting deer during the legal “firearm” deer seasons, he/she may carry a concealed firearm, but only if that firearm is of the legal type for firearm deer hunting. It is not unlawful for a Concealed Carry Permit hunter to possess a concealed firearm in their vehicle. The specifications for legal deer hunting handguns can be found on page 17 of the 2013-2014 Illinois Digest of Hunting and Trapping Regulations at the following link; http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Pages/HuntingTrappingDigests.aspx.

What if you plant purple trees? Does that count?

Like a purple plum or a wisteria?

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/forum/uploads/monthly_06_2018/post-3474-0-12066800-1529284421.jpg

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/forum/uploads/monthly_06_2018/post-3474-0-78629600-1529284450.jpg

Ya..but..but..

Come fall...it would suddenly 'not count'... :)

From Illinois DNR Q & A:

Under the current regulations, Concealed Carry Permit holders are not allowed to possess any firearm, including a concealed firearm, when deer or turkey hunting unless the firearm carried is legal for taking the species being hunted. For example, an archery deer hunter would not be able to carry any firearm, whether concealed or not, when archery deer hunting. However, if a concealed carry permit holder is hunting deer during the legal “firearm” deer seasons, he/she may carry a concealed firearm, but only if that firearm is of the legal type for firearm deer hunting. It is not unlawful for a Concealed Carry Permit hunter to possess a concealed firearm in their vehicle. The specifications for legal deer hunting handguns can be found on page 17 of the 2013-2014 Illinois Digest of Hunting and Trapping Regulations at the following link; http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Pages/HuntingTrappingDigests.aspx.

So if you're deer hunting with a bow and you take a shot and drop the deer but it's not a kill shot you are not aloud to put the deer out of its misery with a single handgun round? What do you do, wait for it to bleed out? Another arrow close up? Seems to me a handgun would be the proper tool for this situation.

From Illinois DNR Q & A:

So if you're deer hunting with a bow and you take a shot and drop the deer but it's not a kill shot you are not aloud to put the deer out of its misery with a single handgun round? What do you do, wait for it to bleed out? Another arrow close up? Seems to me a handgun would be the proper tool for this situation.

Logically? Absolutely does not make sense. But this has been the law for a long time. Gotta' keep all those law-abiding hunters from poaching, you know...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It appears that CC is allowed in designated hunting areas except when deer or turkey season is open.

It is illegal to conceal carry while you're hunting (which makes zero sense...but this is Illinois). I don't know if it's illegal to carry in hunting areas if it's hunting season and you're not hunting.

Can't CC while deer and turkey hunting or while dog training, even on your own property.

So if you're deer hunting with a bow and you take a shot and drop the deer but it's not a kill shot you are not aloud to put the deer out of its misery with a single handgun round? What do you do, wait for it to bleed out?

Deer don't "drop" from even the best placed arrow. They run a little, lay down, and pass out due to lack of blood flow. So yes they actually bleed out, but they don't know it. They just pass out and die.

So if you're deer hunting with a bow and you take a shot and drop the deer but it's not a kill shot you are not aloud to put the deer out of its misery with a single handgun round? What do you do, wait for it to bleed out?

Deer don't "drop" from even the best placed arrow. They run a little, lay down, and pass out due to lack of blood flow. So yes they actually bleed out, but they don't know it. They just pass out and die.

Thanks for the info. I never knew a "well placed" arrow wouldn't drop a deer. Obviously I've never bow hunted.

Archived