Sanctuary gun counties in Illinois

Ranger

Given the number of sanctuary counties, it will be interesting to see what happens if and when the gun control push comes.

The sanctuaries are a pipe dream, they won't protect you from anything. Looks nice on paper but carries no weight in any legal fashion.

If I'm wrong, tell me what these do? I'm in a gun sanctuary county.

technical, the (mostly) unspoken strength is a warning to prosectors that if charges are brought for unconstitutional gun laws, the overwhelming mass of their prospective jurors will opt for jury nullification, and either refuse to indict, return verdicts of not guilty, or go to a hung jury. It also gives support to law enforcement officers who side with constitutionality and refuse to arrest for bogus offenses.

technical, the (mostly) unspoken strength is a warning to prosectors that if charges are brought for unconstitutional gun laws, the overwhelming mass of their prospective jurors will opt for jury nullification, and either refuse to indict, return verdicts of not guilty, or go to a hung jury. It also gives support to law enforcement officers who side with constitutionality and refuse to arrest for bogus offenses.

You assume that the general public knows and or cares about the gun sanctuaries.

You assume that the general public knows and or cares about the gun sanctuaries.

Since hundreds of thousands of people just voted on it - they do now!

:)

Doesn't mean they know what it is, most no votes were likely due to the fact that it said "gun".

I support the 2A heavily and didn't even have a clue this was on the ballot until I voted.

Never have I ever heard it mentioned in any of my shooting circles and we have some certified gun nuts.

All it shows is a divide amongst gun owners and non at the polls, our split was roughly 60/40.

I doubt "my peers said this is unconstitutional" is going to get anyone off the hook.

heck, counties are still ringing people up on homerule laws that were preempted by the ccw law.

I'm not arguing, I'm just seriously trying to see the point of declaring a county a gun sanctuary.

Given the number of sanctuary counties, it will be interesting to see what happens if and when the gun control push comes.

The sanctuaries are a pipe dream, they won't protect you from anything. Looks nice on paper but carries no weight in any legal fashion.

The sanctuary status of a county is supposed to mean that, if the state legislature passes anti-gun laws, no county resources (i.e., the sheriffs and possibly municipal cops) will enforce them. If the state wants them enforced, the ISP is going to have to do it without any local help.

Yes, if you violate the law, you can still be arrested and convicted, but the ISP should have higher priority tasks to keep them from conducting house to house searches for banned firearms.

This is supposed to be analogous to sanctuary cities for illegal immigrants. Federal cops can still arrest them and deport them, but the local cops won't help look for them, nor will the local jails detain them.

Doesn't mean they know what it is, most no votes were likely due to the fact that it said "gun".

I support the 2A heavily and didn't even have a clue this was on the ballot until I voted.

Never have I ever heard it mentioned in any of my shooting circles and we have some certified gun nuts.

All it shows is a divide amongst gun owners and non at the polls, our split was roughly 60/40.

I doubt "my peers said this is unconstitutional" is going to get anyone off the hook.

heck, counties are still ringing people up on homerule laws that were preempted by the ccw law.

I'm not arguing, I'm just seriously trying to see the point of declaring a county a gun sanctuary.

The divide in police officers is very similar to the red vs blue voting demographic maps in the 2016 elections. It's mostly urban vs rural. Most rural coppers are very proud gun, most urban are the opposite. I had a student last week in Tennessee who was a Boston PD Sergeant. He concurred, as have those we've taught from NYPD, Chicago PD, Detroit PD, etc.

As for the word getting out, yes, it's been slow, HOWEVER, we're over 50 counties now and that is no small thing. We need to keep reaching out to sheriff's, states attorneys, police chiefs, and individual L.E. officers to encourage them to abide by their oaths. You'd be surprised how receptive many are. I've personally talked to two states attorneys who are completely onboard.

Here is the map, just wondering about Sangamon.

Dont think the referendum was on their ballot.

According to https://results.enr.clarityelections.com/IL/Sangamon/86672/Web02.216033/#/, the Sangamon County referenda were:

CAPITAL TOWNSHIP - ADVISORY QUESTION AS TO WHETHER CAPITAL TOWNSHIP SHALL PURSUE A FULL MERGER WITH SANGAMON COUNTY

SANGAMON COUNTY - PROPOSITION TO AUTHORIZE SALES TAX IN SANGAMON COUNTY FOR SCHOOL FACILITY PURPOSES

MT. PULASKI CUSD 23 - PROPOSITION TO ISSUE $10,000,000 SCHOOL BUILDING BONDS

VILLAGE OF JEROME - PROPOSITION FOR VILLAGE OF JEROME TO LEVY A NEW TAX FOR ILLINOIS MUNICIPAL RETIREMENT PURPOSES

ROCHESTER PUBLIC LIBRARY DISTRICT - PROPOSITION FOR AN INCREASE OF THE LIMITING RATE OF ROCHESTER PUBLIC LIBRARY DISTRICT

Just an update, Madison County voted to become a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary County by a margin of 2 to 1: 67,351 to 33,160! Good news, especially since the state just elected an anti-gun Governor. I think is will be a rough four years for all of us. We need remain united and determined to maintain our rights.

Good Morning,

We are proud to report that the Macon County Board adopted a pro gun resolution last night with a 12-6 vote. You may now color Macon County Green. Everyone keep up the good fight.

Full story at link

https://herald-review.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/macon-county-board-approves-resolution-supporting-the-nd-amendment/article_64578340-edae-5e39-b248-3dd1f2c8b4c4.html

Macon County board approves resolution supporting the 2nd Amendment

DECATUR — Macon County will soon be sending a message to all members of the General Assembly: Don't pass stricter gun laws.

The county board on Thursday approved a resolution expressing its opposition to restrictions that could interfere with Second Amendment rights, though officials acknowledged the measure as more of a signal than anything enforceable. The move follows similar steps taken by dozens of downstate counties this year to signal support for gun rights.

The measure was approved 13-6, with a handful of Democrats joining all present Republicans in favor of it. Democrats Helena Buckner, Patricia Dawson, board Chairman Jay Dunn, Rachel Joy, Verzell Taylor and Laura Zimmerman voted against the proposal. Democrat Kevin Meachum and Republican Greg Mattingley were not present.

Per the resolution, the county would “hereby oppose the enactment of any legislation that would infringe upon the right of the people to keep and bear arms and consider such laws to be unconstitutional and beyond lawful legislative authority.”

Download PDF Macon County gun resolution

It also asked state lawmakers not to approve any further actions that could infringe on those rights and the governor to veto any such legislation. It also says the county will send copies of the resolution to lawmakers and the governor’s office, something which Dunn said after the meeting should happen in the near future.

There was almost no discussion from the board about the plan, either for or against it. Bryan Smith, a Decatur Democrat who voted in favor of the plan, asked about the necessity of the resolution, specifically because the board approved a resolution with nearly the same verbiage in 2008.

“I pushed this through the operations committee at that time and supported it then,” Smith told the board. “I don’t see why we need to have it again, but since it is the same thing ... I will vote ‘yes.’”

Several residents spoke out in favor of the resolution before it was passed, including Dan Cooley, owner of Bullet Trap in Macon, who has written to board members through this year asking them to take it up for a vote.

While he is not opposed to all gun control legislation, Cooley said it is more important now than ever for the county and its residents to take a stand in support of the Second Amendment, as next year will see Illinois with a Democratic governor and a Democratic super-majority in both the House of Representatives and the Senate.

“Our new governor (J.B. Pritzker) is going to be very much anti-gun,” Cooley said.

By the way Kevin, Edgar County passed their resolution back on August 16th. Here's the text of the email to David Campbell from board member Jim Keller:
"Looks like we are finally getting ready to pass the resolution this next Thursday at our next meeting, our fearless leader and our States Attorney got their heads together and decided to just have the first 2 bills on ours only have HB1465 and HB 1467 as they are so much more intelligent than everyone else in the state and probably smarter than anyone else in the world. At least we got something done and since it was submitted by our chairman no one will dare to vote against it. Thanks for all your help, by the way we had probably two dozen people attending last months meeting from the Eastern Illinois Sportsman's Club and will probably have them again next week. I am a member and have been reporting to them each month on the resolution and their attendance is probably the only reason it's on the agenda this month as the whole thing was just a thorn in the side of the chairman."

Then, when he asked how the vote went, he said:

"Thanks for asking, I guess I hadn't thought to text you yet, yes, it was unanimous. Mostly because it was put on the agenda by Gareld after he butchered it down to 2 bills but at least we got something accomplished, every seat in the audience was filled with 2nd. Amendment folks. Thanks for your support."

Any law only means something IF LE enforces it.

If local officers turn a blind eye to say a magazine declared "unlawful" in your vehicle - the so called "law" means nothing and has lost it's perceived power.

Is this legal - Dunno - not my call... Is not stopping a vehicle and issuing a citation for a tag light out illegal? Or ignoring a trailer with one tail light that doesn't work?

LE makes "judgement calls" all the time...

Looks like Edgar county approved in October and watered down further if the report is accurate.

https://edgarcountyillinois.com/wednesday-october-10-2018/

11. Resolution In Support of the 2nd Amendment.

http://prairiepress.net/stories/county-approves-a-water-ordinance,7990

The Edgar County Board added a potable water ordinance to the books during the Wednesday, Oct. 10, regular monthly meeting.

..."A resolution supporting the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was approved.

Board member Dan Bruner said the resolution as first presented several months ago by a county resident sought to declare Edgar County a sanctuary against firearms legislation passed by the General Assembly.

Thats illegal. We cant do that, said Bruner.

The revised resolution, said board member John Chittick, simply states the second amendment exists and the county board supports the right of citizens to own guns."...

... "A resolution supporting the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was approved.

Board member Dan Bruner said the resolution as first presented several months ago by a county resident sought to declare Edgar County a sanctuary against firearms legislation passed by the General Assembly.

The revised resolution, said board member John Chittick, simply states the second amendment exists and the county board supports the right of citizens to own guns." ...

My understanding is that local police are authorized to make arrests of people found breaking state laws within their jurisdiction, but they are not REQUIRED to do so. In particular, county cops are not required to SEEK OUT state law violators. It would be interesting to see what law this guy thinks Edgar county board members and sheriff's deputies would be breaking.

IANAL

My understanding is that local police are authorized to make arrests of people found breaking state laws within their jurisdiction, but they are not REQUIRED to do so. In particular, county cops are not required to SEEK OUT state law violators. It would be interesting to see what law this guy thinks Edgar county board members and sheriff's deputies would be breaking.

IANAL

Absolutely true, they have discretion to enforce laws.

This is usually only done with the issue government vs citizen.

They will enforce the law in the case where a citizen is harmed.

In a few cases there have been sheriffs that have prevented federal action in their counties, but I never have heard that happening in IL.

Madigan CONTROLS the Democrat House Members in those gun sanctuary counties !!

A better strategy would have been to vote OUT of office all Democrats !!

Monica Bristow is our new state rep. I didn't vote for her even though I got a mailing saying she had an A+ rating with the NRA. I also heard she's one of Madigan's shills. That's what turned me off.

Madigan CONTROLS the Democrat House Members in those gun sanctuary counties !!

A better strategy would have been to vote OUT of office all Democrats !!

Monica Bristow is our new state rep. I didn't vote for her even though I got a mailing saying she had an A+ rating with the NRA. I also heard she's one of Madigan's shills. That's what turned me off.

How . . . how is that even possible?

How . . . how is that even possible?

She has a voting record, so the NRA can rate her.

Perhaps her opponent in the election misrepresented her because of her party.

Madigan threatened to withhold state party funds for any Democrat who didn't vote with the party on the gun bills this session. Maybe she figured she didn't need his money. She won, anyway.

Gun Sanctuary seems to be catching on.

A Police Chief in the state of Washington refuses to enforce new anti laws, and encourages others to do the same !!!

https://www.westernjournal.com/ct/police-chief-refuses-enforce-new-strict-gun-control-laws-taken-3-public-oaths-defending-constitution/?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=conservativebyte&utm_campaign=dailypm&utm_content=libertyalliance

All I can say is Dan Bruner is an idiot. Nullification is a thing and duty when unconstitutional laws are made.

Which do you think should be more illegal Dan, enforcing an unconstitutional law and denying someone their rights which is an actual crime or not enforcing an unconstitutional law and preserving someone's rights?

If you live in Edgar County, you got to get rid of that Bruner guy. He is clearly not up for the task.

Archived