Sanctuary gun counties in Illinois

Ranger

Jackson County is unlikely to go red, despite the shenanigans:http://www.wsiltv.com/story/38254497/jackson-county-citizens-speak-out-against-gun-control

Red to me is refusing to take up and pass the resolution.I have updated the map.

I would think yellow covers that. The Jackson County jackwagons were attempting to go completely the other way and actively SUPPORT legislative anti gun laws. The same bunch had no trouble passing an illegal immigration sanctuary resolution.

Good work on the map Kevin, let's get more!

Hillsboro Adopts Resolution Opposing Pending Gun Legislation

Wed, 23 May 2018 10:02:39 CDT

On Tuesday evening, Hillsboro became the first city in Illinois to publicly adopt a resolution opposing the passage of legislation by the General Assembly that would restrict the Second Amendment Rights of U.S. citizens.

The bills the council referred to are House Bills 1465, 1467, 1468 and 1469, Senate Bill 1657, and any trailer bill or bill similar to the others.

According to Mayor Brian Sullivan, the bills being discussed could potentially turn Illinois gun owners into felons overnight.

"I know for a fact that two of the bills would make me a felon," Sulllivan said if the legislation passes. Some of the legislation pertains to trigger modification, which would affect those who shoot competitively. Sullivan, who participates in shooting competitions, said "hundreds of thousands of Illinois citizens" would be made felons. Public Safety Commissioner Michael Murphy agreed with Sullivan, saying the legislation that is being considered "goes against the rights of U.S. Citizens."

Seven counties -- Effingham County being the most recent -- have passed similar legislation opposing these bills in the General Assembly. Hillsboro, however, is the first city to publicly adopt such a resolution.

"I want the state to take notice that not everyone fall in line with Chicago," Sullivan said. He even cited the state's willingness to declare itself a sanctuary state regarding immigration without the consent of downstate citizens as an example of the difference in schools of thought.

The council voted, and the resolution passed unanimously. Mayor Sullivan, who was not required to vote since all four commissioners approved the motion, did vote on the matter because he wanted to go on record as voting in favor of the resolution.

The next Hillsboro City Council meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, June 12, at 7 p.m.

Followed up with my County board member by phone and he forwarded it to the others. He is not interested

his e-mail to me

As you can see, I forwarded your information on to my fellow boardmembers on 4/19 and have had no conversations with any of them about the matter.

But as he forwarded it he basically killed it.

All,

Spoke with this gentleman on the phone and gave him my personal opinion, both on the subject and about bringing such matters before the Board in resolution form. I made it clear that I was speaking to him as a citizen just as himself and in no way would presume to speak as the Board. I told him I would forward this to all of you with no expectations of action.

Douglas County board passed a resolution quite some time ago expressing the Board's support of the 2A. Maybe it has been too long ago for current members to be aware. Charles Knox led the charge on that, if I remember correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.southernillinoisnow.com/local-news/2018/06/06/large-group-encourages-marion-county-to-become-sanctuary-county-for-gun-rights

Large Group Encourages Marion County to Become Sanctuary County for Gun Rights

No Action Expected Until July County Board Meeting

Committee Chair Tabitha Meador noted all of the bills that would limit gun rights in Illinois are still in the House and Senate.

"The 2nd Amendment is our Constitutional right and we don't want to do anything against that. Believe me I'm a big believer of the 2nd Amendment myself. But its not going to supersede state law either. If the State enacts something that's what will stand but we can make a statement that our residents of Marion County fully support the 2nd Amendment and all that entails."

Meador expects the committee to make a recommendation on what the resolution should contain at their July third committee meeting. The resolution would then come up for a vote at the full county board meeting at the July tenth meeting.

Full story at link...

Shelby County Board to vote on 'gun sanctuary' proposal Wednesday

https://herald-review.com/jg-tc/news/local/shelby-county-board-to-vote-on-gun-sanctuary-proposal-wednesday/article_0f9a8780-f179-5045-becc-da497582720b.html

SHELBYVILLE -- The Shelby County Board is expected Wednesday (June 13) morning to take up a measure similar to a "gun sanctuary" proposal approved first in Effingham and then in dozens of other counties so far across the state.

The board meets starting at 9 a.m. in the courthouse in Shelbyville, in Courtroom B. The seventh item on the agenda states: "Chairman David Cruitt -- Reaffirmation of Resolution 2003-21 in support of 2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution."

This week, both Shelby and Clark counties could be among those to become "sanctuaries" for gun ownership.

Clark County Board members also are expected to vote on a similar resolution at their meeting Friday in Marshall.

Full story at link...

Activists ask board to make Sangamon gun sanctuary county

http://www.sj-r.com/news/20180612/activists-ask-board-to-make-sangamon-gun-sanctuary-county

Gun rights supporters were at the Sangamon County Board meeting Tuesday requesting that board members adopt a resolution declaring Sangamon a gun sanctuary county.

No such resolution was on the agenda, but board members listened as three Springfield residents spoke in favor of the proposal. They are opposed to additional gun restrictions at the state level and asked the county board to take a stand.

Tonight, I ask you to please consider protecting your constituents and the voters and the taxpayers of Sangamon County, said Springfield resident Rosanna Pulido. Please pass a resolution to make Sangamon County a sanctuary for gun owners.

Speaking before the meeting, Sangamon County Administrator Brian McFadden said the county has an informal policy that it does not weigh in on symbolic measures that are outside its regulatory authority. Even if the county were to pass a gun sanctuary resolution, it would not affect the enforcement of federal, state or local gun laws.

"Were approached on a fairly regular basis by various groups to weigh in on issues like abortion, guns, gay marriage, or other issues that are not under the countys purview, McFadden said prior to Tuesdays meeting. The feeling has been that if you address one of these, then you are going to have to address all of them. The county board wanted to keep the floodgates closed. If we make an exception for one group, then it would be hard to make an exception for another group ...

Pulido, as well as Springfield residents Tom Shafer and Lynn Wilson, spoke at the end of the county board meeting. Board members did not comment or ask them any questions.

You might want to remind Sangamon county board this is not a special interest request. This is a request to take a stand for our Second Amendment rights as citizens. the constitution guarantees this right and those same people are sworn in to protect and guard that document. It seems a bit trivial on their part to marginalize this as a special interest group request. Make it about the constitution, not the guns. My two cents worth.

You might want to remind Sangamon county board this is not a special interest request. This is a request to take a stand for our Second Amendment rights as citizens. the constitution guarantees this right and those same people are sworn in to protect and guard that document. It seems a bit trivial on their part to marginalize this as a special interest group request. Make it about the constitution, not the guns. My two cents worth.

I did not quote the entire article, but this was also mentioned

..."McFadden has made similar comments before, and Pulido mentioned his statements when she was addressing the board.

“This is not a symbolic resolution. It is a defense of the Constitutional principle. It is incumbent on our local elected officials to make sure their constituents’ voices are heard by the state in regards to protecting the Constitution. You took an oath of office to that effect,” Pulido said."...

Archived