Min. age for FOID

No minimum age.

There are some laws around those under 14 without a FOID card.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=072000050K24-9

(720 ILCS 5/24-9)

Sec. 24-9. Firearms; Child Protection.

(a) Except as provided in subsection ©, it is unlawful for any person to store or leave, within premises under his or her control, a firearm if the person knows or has reason to believe that a minor under the age of 14 years who does not have a Firearm Owners Identification Card is likely to gain access to the firearm without the lawful permission of the minor's parent, guardian, or person having charge of the minor, and the minor causes death or great bodily harm with the firearm, unless the firearm is:

(1) secured by a device or mechanism, other than the

firearm safety, designed to render a firearm temporarily inoperable; or

(2) placed in a securely locked box or container; or

(3) placed in some other location that a reasonable

person would believe to be secure from a minor under the age of 14 years.

© Subsection (a) does not apply:

(1) if the minor under 14 years of age gains access

to a firearm and uses it in a lawful act of self-defense or defense of another; or

(2) to any firearm obtained by a minor under the age

of 14 because of an unlawful entry of the premises by the minor or another person.

Edited by InterestedBystander

I sent in for my two younger kids when they were still infants. Mainly just to show the silliness of a FOID. Some might call it a donation to the state. Both applications came back with errors that actually were not. It made me wonder if the individual reviewing them also saw the stoopitidy behind it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gist of it is if you're under 21, you need the endorsement of a parent or legal guardian. 21 and up, nothing needed. Can be appealed, will be 21 before appeal is dealt with. Never mind that, if you're 18 and still have a legal guardian, it likely means you're already a prohibited person as you wouldn't be mentally fit to handle your own affairs.

My little boy got his FOID at age 5. He was and still is never interested in shooting, but I got it for him for the simple reason that if anything were to happen to us, I don't want the state seizing the guns.

what ID did you need for him? I tried to do my daughter...but ISP website asking for a DL.....she's not even 5

My little boy got his FOID at age 5. He was and still is never interested in shooting, but I got it for him for the simple reason that if anything were to happen to us, I don't want the state seizing the guns.

what ID did you need for him? I tried to do my daughter...but ISP website asking for a DL.....she's not even 5

Can you get and use a state ID instead? No doubt someone will be along with the solution.

Edited by InterestedBystander