Cook County Sherifs Dept tried to illegally confiscate my FOID

jolebole

Have you been to the range lately? Could someone have followed you home from the range to see where you live and got your address? Sounds like a scam to get your guns. This also makes me worry about unwanted visitors coming for your guns.

Try googling your address without the city and see if your address shows up in another town in CC. Also try googling your name and see if you show up with another CC address. This is possible. Years ago the CPD issued a warrant for my dad for leaving the seen of a fatal accident. The location was in Englewood, the car was totally wrong and my dad was at work at the time (my dad was a trucker and his logbook showed making a delivery 50 miles away 5 minutes after the accident). Yet the warrant had my dad's name and address on it.

This highly, highly smacks of a scam, from the badly photocopied letter, to the non govt vehicle. But, what really makes me think scam is twofold. OP sys he lives in DuPage County. Assuming his FOID matches that (i.e. he didn't move recently and forget to update), they would have no jurisdiction here, regardless of http://illinoisreview.typepad.com/illinoisreview/2013/07/cook-county-sheriff-sets-up-team-to-seize-revoked-foid-cards.html. The other is, why no follow up by the CCSPD?

OP did you at least do a white pages lookup on the number they wrote in on the bottom?

My address was changed 4 yrs ago and its up to date on my FOID and CCL. My follow up with CCSPD did not answer any questions. The phone number on the note is a cell phone that does not ring at all. It goes straight to voicemail that has not been setup.

At this point I would get a lawyer, report the incident to local LE + ISP, report the FOID as stolen, and apply for a replacement. Until you have some reason to think the people you dealt with were legit, I'd keep Cook County out of it. But mostly, get a lawyer and follow his advice.

How about posting a still picture or two from the video? This sounds like a very clever/dangerous scam. Don't answer the door for anyone you don't know even if you live in Dupage County, Lake County, "my neighborhood is wonderful because it's not chicago"....etc. because everything has changed. The garbage travels anywhere they want looking for any opportunity...even a police profiling law suit.

Also, maybe a cop ran your plate while you were out on the road somewhere and someone listening to the scanner wrote down your info when the name, address, "active ccl" was broadcast back to the cop in the car, and started the scam from there?

edit

When the ccl first came out, I listened to the chicago frequencies available online and heard this play out live more than a few times.

Edited by jim123

I sent this to the ISP e-mail and got this response

Thank you for contacting the Illinois State Police (ISP). I will be sure

to forward your concerns to our FOID section.

Respectfully,

Master Sergeant Link

Illinois State Police

Public Information Office

To: Contact_ISP@isp.state.il.us,

Date: 01/08/2018 06:37 AM

Subject: Email Sent to Contact ISP regarding - Other Inquiry

NAME

EMAIL

DAYTIME PHONE

COMMENT / QUESTION

Ask ISP - Other Inquiry -

there is a thread about somewhat suspicions attempts to get a man to

surrender his foid card. Thought the ISP might be interested

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67552

I sent this to the ISP e-mail and got this response

I realize you were trying to be helpful but it's probably not the best thing to do since it is second hand information and the original poster has already started the investigation. There may be more information that the OP only wishes to share with law enforcement, and if theres an active investigation that takes place the ISP may want this thread removed.

Edited by chicagoresident

How do you know that these guy were really deputies and not some criminals using phony uniforms and forged paperwork? Criminals could impersonate law enforcement officers and potentially confiscate guns and ammo as well as a FOID card. Criminals could probably alter a FOID card to enable them to buy guns and/or ammo.

I really cant know for sure. That same question is bothering me too. I have a video of the 20min visit. I can share it via PM if you like to see it. I live in a very decent area of DuPage county where police is present everywhere (160k population). It would be very risky for outsiders to impersonate law enforcement officers in the middle of the day next to a very busy street.

Wait...You're in DuPage?!

Total scam job. Call the...gulp...ATF...as well as ISP and report the attempted theft.

How do you know that these guy were really deputies and not some criminals using phony uniforms and forged paperwork? Criminals could impersonate law enforcement officers and potentially confiscate guns and ammo as well as a FOID card. Criminals could probably alter a FOID card to enable them to buy guns and/or ammo.

I really cant know for sure. That same question is bothering me too. I have a video of the 20min visit. I can share it via PM if you like to see it. I live in a very decent area of DuPage county where police is present everywhere (160k population). It would be very risky for outsiders to impersonate law enforcement officers in the middle of the day next to a very busy street.

Total scam job. Call the...gulp...ATF...as well as ISP and report the attempted theft.

But how did he get found out as a foid card holder???

Friends, relatives, neighbors, acquaintances may know he has guns. He could be a hunter or has talked about going to the range to shoot. As noted by many this could have been a scam to get his guns or other sinister motive. It could even have been an attempt at a poor practical joke. It could possibly have been a wrong address or similar names. It appears that the OP is taking the proper steps.

Followed home from gun store, Facebook. Lotsa ways.

This highly, highly smacks of a scam, from the badly photocopied letter, to the non govt vehicle. But, what really makes me think scam is twofold. OP sys he lives in DuPage County. Assuming his FOID matches that (i.e. he didn't move recently and forget to update), they would have no jurisdiction here, regardless of The other is, why no follow up by the CCSPD?

OP did you at least do a white pages lookup on the number they wrote in on the bottom?

My address was changed 4 yrs ago and its up to date on my FOID and CCL. My follow up with CCSPD did not answer any questions. The phone number on the note is a cell phone that does not ring at all. It goes straight to voicemail that has not been setup.

What's the number

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I would be sure that the local police/sheriff and the ISP have make a official report on this and that I have a copy of what I can get from them. Documentation is what I am talking about. That way if they come back and some how are official (I doubt that) you have prove that you are trying to find out what the cranberry is going on. I would be careful about spreading the video around since it could be evidence of a crime and you don't want to taint it. Talking to a lawyer would also be a good idea. When a lawyer contacts folks, they tend to pay more attention.

Let us know how it all goes.

There's this thing called jurisdictions. A Cook County Sheriff has no ability to serve notice or arrest outside of the jurisdiction of the office they represent. They can only retain powers while in fresh pursuit or if acting on a call for assistance from an agency with jurisdiction. Personally, I'd make a royal stink about it with local PD.
If I recall correctly, one of our members had cops from another jurisdiction show up on his door to confiscate his guns. He dialed Todd and added them the phone. When Todd was thru with them they handed the phone earlier back and slicked away.