CCL & FOID Totals - Nonresident and Resident - 28 Feb 2017

kwc

As of the end of the day on Feb 28, 2017, there were 223,637 active FCCLs and 2,125,765 active FOID cards.

The information below was obtained via Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to the Illinois State Police.

The table in the first attachment captures the current cumulative totals for Illinois Concealed Carry Licenses (CCLs) issued to nonresidents and residents since the program began. Note that these totals represent the total number ISSUED, and are not adjusted for those that have since been revoked or cancelled. This table also includes totals for CCLs that have been denied, revoked, or currently awaiting action from the Concealed Carry Licensing Review Board (CCLRB). The paragraph below the table shows the number of CCLs and FOID cards currently active, accounting for those that have been inactivated subsequent to issuing.

The second table provides a trend analysis based on prior FOIA requests.

In February 2017:

* The backlog of CCLs pending CCLRB review dropped by 44, with 2,152 now pending action. This is the third consecutive month in which the backlog has shrunk.

* 6,037 CCL applications were submitted (average 216/day). 8 of those applications were from Texas, which for the first time this month is deemed a substantially similar state.

* The total number of active FCCL licensees rose by 3,214. None were issued to nonresidents, and all 7 CCLs issued to residents of NM and SC were revoked in February since, in an abrupt whiplash-inducing change--despite no adjustments to the statutes in those states--they are no longer considered to be substantially similar to Illinois.

* The number of active FOID holders rose by 12,912.

To review the prior report, for period ending Jan 31, 2016, please visit this link:

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=64872&hl=

post-12822-0-80349000-1489159021_thumb.png

CCL and CCLRB Totals - Trend.pdf

* The backlog of CCLs pending CCLRB review dropped by 44, with 2,152 now pending action. This is the third consecutive month in which the backlog has shrunk.

At this rate in 4 years we will have no backlog.

I believe it is going to happen faster than that.

Probably much faster indeed, there will be a point where the number of applications coming in really diminishes, but hopefully the pace at which the applications are approved remains constant.

Happy to see many more defenders going active with their CCL.

I know a lot of folks give the board and IL in general some static for being slower than most other states but we are still in the early years oof CC and they are most likely understaffed. I'm sure those working the CCL division don't like the workload, either. Good on them for being able to work inside a surplus rather than a deficit.

I know a lot of folks give the board and IL in general some static for being slower than most other states but we are still in the early years oof CC and they are most likely understaffed. I'm sure those working the CCL division don't like the workload, either. Good on them for being able to work inside a surplus rather than a deficit.

On another forum someone from Louisiana said theirs are being issued in 120 days, the state says they can't afford to pay overtime. Their license fee is $140, if you are paying that much you think they'd issue them faster.

On another forum someone from Louisiana said theirs are being issued in 120 days, the state says they can't afford to pay overtime. Their license fee is $140, if you are paying that much you think they'd issue them faster.

Ouch. Steep price when a lot more than half the work is automated. I would assume unless a flag is raised by a BAG check after a human verified basic info about the individual it would just be pushed to the printing/mailing dept. I can see them batching licenses in the process to save a dime but unless someone has a record of convictions it should be quick, IMO. My non-resident Florida was just over 30 days from mailing out to in hand.

As of the end of the day on Feb 28, 2017, there were 223,637 active FCCLs and 2,125,765 active FOID cards.

"The g00gle" tells me, Ill-i-noise population is 12.88 million. So, 10.5% of FOID holders are serious enough to take the class, spend the bucks and get the CCW. Which is also pushing 2% of the state population.

I call those numbers good, considering what we have to go through.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to know this

CCL applicants by County

CCL applicants Flagged by County

CCL applicants Flagged that were eventually approved

Might be interesting to see.

Hap collects county-by-county data, but only issued licenses (not applications). Is that close enough?

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52540&page=3

As for applicants flagged by county, the ISP flatly refuses to provide those data, claiming they're exempt from the Freedom of Information Act. On my last attempt I appealed that to the Assistant Attorney General, and the AAG sided with the ISP.

Does anyone have an idea of how many months this backlog of 2100 represents? Or, do we know how many applications the CCLRB processes in a given month?

This thread should give you an idea how many applications are reviewed each month by the CCLRB.

I requested the Jan and Feb reports about two weeks ago and will report those when received.

Ouch. Steep price when a lot more than half the work is automated. I would assume unless a flag is raised by a BAG check after a human verified basic info about the individual it would just be pushed to the printing/mailing dept. I can see them batching licenses in the process to save a dime but unless someone has a record of convictions it should be quick, IMO. My non-resident Florida was just over 30 days from mailing out to in hand.

Even though I have my license I think one of the highest priorities should be to sue because of the cost, there's many people I know who just can't justify this cost while raising their kids in a middle income family.

The FOID only made it to $10 when they extended it to 10 years.

This cost is clearly denying people their 2nd amendment rights, it's no different then being able to vote, it shouldn't cost ANYTHING or certainly a manageable amount. The state goes out of the way to even offer special classes at a reduced fee for drivers licenses and that's not even a right.

CCL applicants by County

Hap collects county-by-county data, but only issued licenses (not applications). Is that close enough?

As for applicants flagged by county, the ISP flatly refuses to provide those data, claiming they're exempt from the Freedom of Information Act. On my last attempt I appealed that to the Assistant Attorney General, and the AAG sided with the ISP.

BTW I've got the year-end 2016 county-by-county data and am seriously delinquent in getting them out - apologies to all. Broken down by M/F, but only "current active" numbers.

CCL applicants by County

Wow... doesn't that seem odd? I am curious as to how Cook County stacks up against other Counties for percentage of rejections per applications. And then the percentage of those rejections that are turned over... just to show how anti cook county really is. I wonder why (other than the results of what I just asked) that particular aspect would be exempt.

Interesting.

And Thanks KWC!

I wonder why (other than the results of what I just asked) that particular aspect would be exempt.

In rejecting my request for denial and appeal stats, the ISP and AAG cited 5 ILCS 140/7(1)( a ), 5 ILCS 140/8.5( v ), and 430 ILCS 66/20( h ), which prohibit disclosure of records and databases related to the FOID Act and the FCCA. (5 ILCS 140 is the Freedom of Information Act, and of course 430 ILCS 66/20( h ) is the portion of the FCCA relating to CCLRB records.)

They stated that even summary statistics derived from those records are protected from disclosure.

Archived