Will be moving out of state how long will my CCL be valid?

gmk

Moving out of state, will still have my current home/address for sale. Will my CCL be valid for the move till I obtain the CCL in the new state? Will my Illinois address still validate the CCL till my home sells?

Illinois will continue to treat you as a resident, for the purposes of the CCL, as long as you qualify for and maintain your driver's license in Illinois. Once you change your driver's license your CCL will be revoked.

The state you are moving to may require an in-state driver's license first to allow you to apply for their license or permit, so you could have a gap in coverage unless you have a license/permit from another state that your new home state recognizes,

Illinois will continue to treat you as a resident, for the purposes of the CCL, as long as you qualify for and maintain your driver's license in Illinois. Once you change your driver's license your CCL will be revoked.

The state you are moving to may require an in-state driver's license first to allow you to apply for their license or permit, so you could have a gap in coverage unless you have a license/permit from another state that your new home state recognizes,

Beat me to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does that work if you move to a state that Illinois recognizes as "substantially similar"? Do they allow you to keep your license, or do they make you go back through the application process for non-residents? Not sure I have ever seen an answer to that one...

Well, I am moving to Texas. I wanted to find out if my ccl would be still viable for the trip down. The house is not sold and still in my name. I did find out that Texas hss a six month residency thing for their ccl. There is a cc afoot down there. Maybe I am incorrect, but I woul like to be armed for awhile

Well, I am moving to Texas. I wanted to find out if my ccl would be still viable for the trip down. The house is not sold and still in my name. I did find out that Texas hss a six month residency thing for their ccl. There is a cc afoot down there. Maybe I am incorrect, but I woul like to be armed for awhile

On your trip down there and until you establish Texas residency you remain an Illinois resident. Once you get a Texas driver license, you are a Texas resident who owns property in Illinois (assuming your house has not sold). Your Illinois FCCL is no longer valid. You may want to get your Texas DL as soon as you can, so that you are eligible for a Texas CCL sooner. If you know that you will have to be travelling back to Illinois during those first 3 months, it might be prudent to delay getting your Texas DL. I think in general that once your Illinois FCCL is invalid, other states will not recognize your right to carry. There are, of course, Constitutional carry states that recognize everyone’s right to carry without a permit. Be sure to review the laws of any state that you may transit.

“Transferring an Out of State Driver License to Texas

New Texas residents can legally drive with a valid, unexpired driver license from another U.S. state, U.S. territory, Canadian province, or qualifying country for up to 90 days after moving to Texas.

Prior to the end of the 90 day grace period, a new Texas resident must apply for a Texas license in person at any driver license office to continue to drive legally. When applying for the new Texas license the individual must surrender any unexpired driver license in their possession from another U.S. state, U.S. territory or a Canadian province”.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/movingtotexas.htm

http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Legal-Resident-of-Texas

Texas will issue to non-residents, not sure where you came up with the 6 months thing. Best approach would be to get the Texas license ASAP regardless of whether you are a Texas resident yet or not.

http://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/CHL/faqs/index.htm

No. Per Texas Government Code §411.173, legal residents of another state or persons who relocate to Texas with the intent to establish residency may obtain an LTC. Those individuals must submit an application, pay the required fees, successfully complete the required training in Texas and submit all supporting documents. They also must submit form CHL-6, two passport style photos and a copy of their out of state driver license or state issued identification card. Note, however, that all LTC applicants must be legal residents of Texas or another state.

You will have to take the TX specific training which must be done in TX.

If you could make a quick trip to Pennsylvania, you could walk in and get a PA non-resident license while your IL is still valid, and it would cover TX and states in between IL and TX during any interim period.

TX code imposes a 6-month residency requirement, but as Gamma said, it includes a provision for nonresident applications. That same provision also allows applications for those who are moving to TX with the intent of establishing residency. The 6-month residency requirement wouldn't apply in that case.

See excerpts below:

GC §411.172. ELIGIBILITY.

(a) A person is eligible for a license to carry a handgun if the person:

(1) is a legal resident of this state for the six-month period preceding the date of application under this subchapter or is otherwise eligible for a license under Section 411.173(a);

GC §411.173. NON-RESIDENT LICENSE.

(a) The department by rule shall establish a procedure for a person who meets the eligibility requirements of this subchapter other than the residency requirement established by Section 411.172(a)(1) to obtain a license under this subchapter if the person is a legal resident of another state or if the person relocates to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state. The procedure must include payment of a fee in an amount suf cient to recover the average cost to the department of obtaining a criminal history record check and investigation on a nonresident applicant.

If this is your concern and you are moving to Texas, why not apply for a FL non-resident license? The training you did for Illinois is valid for Florida, so long as your instructor is an NRA instructor. If he did not do so already, track him down and put his NRA Instructor # next to his signature on your FCCL Training Certificate. Likewise, you could apply for an Arizona license, for a little less cash and a couple fewer states that recognize it.

Another option is to take a 4 hour Utah class and apply for the Utah license.

All three of these states licenses are recognized in TX, and it does not matter if it is your state of residence. This approach would help you bridge the 6 month gap until your TX license is granted, assuming Illinois pulls yours.

While this may be a small consolation, a nice thing about Texas is that you can keep a loaded firearm on your person inside your vehicle, as it's considered an extension of your dwelling.

If this is your concern and you are moving to Texas, why not apply for a FL non-resident license? The training you did for Illinois is valid for Florida, so long as your instructor is an NRA instructor. If he did not do so already, track him down and put his NRA Instructor # next to his signature on your FCCL Training Certificate. Likewise, you could apply for an Arizona license, for a little less cash and a couple fewer states that recognize it.

All three of these states licenses are recognized in TX, and it does not matter if it is your state of residence. This approach would help you bridge the 6 month gap until your TX license is granted, assuming Illinois pulls yours.

I think he'd be far better off to just get a TX license vs waiting out any of the other non-resident licenses, as he'll end up having to get a TX license anyway.

Not sure about your timeline, but my Arizona permit came in 35 days from time sent to time received.

It was just $61.00

You'll need card prints (2) to send in with it.

If you have time I have finger print cards from Florida, I can send you two!

The app can be downloaded from their site.

I called the number for Arizona and they mailed me two pkgs before and I already gave one of those away.

But iirc I got them in 8 days after calling.....snail mail.

Good Luck

I think he'd be far better off to just get a TX license vs waiting out any of the other non-resident licenses, as he'll end up having to get a TX license anyway.

There is nothing that says he can't do both. Very likely that if he were to apply for both today, a Utah, Florida, or Arizona license would be in hand before the Texas. Plus, if he hasn't moved yet, he can apply for the FL/UT/AZ now, as they are non-res licenses. He won't be able to apply for the TX resident license until he gets down there. Depending on the timeline, he could potentially have the FL/UT/AZ license before he even moves out of state, and can contact ISP and tell them to pound sand.

Best part of this whole discussion: and can contact ISP and tell them to pound sand.

And even if he comes back to close on the house here, he can car transport.

I don't know the correct terminology but he should know what that is.

As a TX resident, with a TX LTC, he can "conceal carry" in his car. It's the same terminology. :-)

Best part of this whole discussion: and can contact ISP and tell them to pound sand.

And even if he comes back to close on the house here, he can car transport.

I don't know the correct terminology but he should know what that is.

Only if he closes on the house after he receives his TX license. If he is a TX resident with a FL or UT non-res license, he can't carry in his car here. License has to be from your home state.

There is nothing that says he can't do both. Very likely that if he were to apply for both today, a Utah, Florida, or Arizona license would be in hand before the Texas. Plus, if he hasn't moved yet, he can apply for the FL/UT/AZ now, as they are non-res licenses. He won't be able to apply for the TX resident license until he gets down there. Depending on the timeline, he could potentially have the FL/UT/AZ license before he even moves out of state, and can contact ISP and tell them to pound sand.

Texas issues licenses, they do not issue "resident licenses". There is no downside to applying ASAP to get the Texas license in progress. He'll have to do it anyway. The only extras with applying to Texas as a non-resident are including the two passport photos and copy of DL/ID. Unless there's going to be a big delay in being able to attend the training, it seems pointless to waste time & money on prints & application fees for licenses that will be superfluous.

Texas issues licenses, they do not issue "resident licenses". There is no downside to applying ASAP to get the Texas license in progress. He'll have to do it anyway. The only extras with applying to Texas as a non-resident are including the two passport photos and copy of DL/ID. Unless there's going to be a big delay in being able to attend the training, it seems pointless to waste time & money on prints & application fees for licenses that will be superfluous.

I doubt that any state issues designated "resident" or "non-resident" CCLs. I have licenses for Illinois, Florida, Pennsylvania, and Utah. None are marked are "resident" or "non-resident". A CCL is a resident license if it matches the holder's driver license or official state ID.

Archived