CAN I OPEN CARRY ON MY APARTMENT PORCH WITH A F.O.I.D.?

I wanted to know if I can open/conceal carry while sitting on my front porch to my apartment? It's a dangerous neighborhood with MANY driveby shootings.but I do not want to stay in the house in my own neighborhood afraid of soneone trying to shoot me. However, police have told me I can not carry concealed or open on my porch. They actually told me I can not take my firearm anywhere except for a shooting range. And that I can not take it to a friend's house and carry there or even just bring it there at all. I really need to know the truth because I know cops lie. I live in a two flat apartment. With a pretty big front porch that I like to sit on and read or just watch as my kids play outfront. Edited by KENDLLB360

police have told me I can not carry concealed or open on my porch. They actually told me I can not take my firearm anywhere except for a shooting range. And that I can not take it to a friend's house and carry there or even just bring it there at all. I really need to know the truth because I know cops lie.

If you know they lie, why are you taking legal advice from them?

You've been on this site for a year yet believe that you can't even transport a firearm? Pretty much everything you said is wrong.

If it was your home you could carry concealed. Since it's a common area of an apartment I'm not sure how that would be interpreted. If you get a carry license, then your problem would be solved.

I would stridently suggest avoiding open carry regardless of the legality, since you're obviously in an area with hostile criminals as well as LE that are hostile to firearms rights.

Edited by Gamma

Ok. I appreciate the info. If anyone else may by chance know about carrying with a FOID in a apartment I would love the help. I knew the cops were lieing about me being able to take my firearm to a friend's house as long as I transport it properly. But as far as while on my apartment porch is what I really need to know. Also if anyone may know of a good lawyer I would appreciate the info as well. Thankyou to all for any and all help.