M&P Sport II

cola490

AR-15 purchasing can be OVERWHELMING, keep your head on straight and first figure out what you want your rifle to be, and your budget. Me personally, I wanted a rifle that I could be accurate with at 75 yards if need be and I didn't need it to be fancy . I picked up a M&P Sport with 1:8 twist 5R barrel, added optics and couldn't be happier with the $600 for a fine well built dependable rifle.

just my two cents....

AR-15 purchasing can be OVERWHELMING, keep your head on straight and first figure out what you want your rifle to be, and your budget. Me personally, I wanted a rifle that I could be accurate with at 75 yards if need be and I didn't need it to be fancy . I picked up a M&P Sport with 1:8 twist 5R barrel, added optics and couldn't be happier with the $600 for a fine well built dependable rifle.

just my two cents....

Thanks for the reply. Any advice on optics and ammo?

just my two cents....

I get the feeling, you and I are in a similar boat.....both being beginners and trying to get some traction in understanding the vast AR platform world..... For optics I went with a Aimpoint PRO, its real nice and for the way I've set up my rifle, the Aimpoint PRO works very well. Goes back to my original statement "figure out what you want your rifle to be"? I know a few guys that have min 5 AR's....all setup to perform different tasks, I myself, just needed one AR rifle. As for ammo....I've been using whatever is cheapest at Walmart, which happens to be Federal brass 55gr 100 packs for $37

Let me add this. I've had my AR since December 2016, and I've never fired a rifle before. First time out last month, I took my new AR and brand Century Arms C39V2 (AK-47) out for the first time and I had a BLAST!! Both great shooters and not one problem.

just my two cents....

I get the feeling, you and I are in a similar boat.....both being beginners and trying to get some traction in understanding the vast AR platform world..... For optics I went with a Aimpoint PRO, its real nice and for the way I've set up my rifle, the Aimpoint PRO works very well. Goes back to my original statement "figure out what you want your rifle to be"? I know a few guys that have min 5 AR's....all setup to perform different tasks, I myself, just needed one AR rifle. As for ammo....I've been using whatever is cheapest at Walmart, which happens to be Federal brass 55gr 100 packs for $37

Let me add this. I've had my AR since December 2016, and I've never fired a rifle before. First time out last month, I took my new AR and brand Century Arms C39V2 (AK-47) out for the first time and I had a BLAST!! Both great shooters and not one problem.

Thanks again, you are right, this would be my first AR, it would be for range time, 99.9% of the time, than spend time under the bed waiting for the "zombies".

Now that the cost for Sport AR is dipping under $500.00. I am looking hard at them. I have no interest in building a AR. Is the M&P worthwhile?

Can I ask where you've found an M&P Sport II under $500?? That's a steal, I'll take one!

That is way under dealer cost. I would maybe take a few for that.

Now that the cost for Sport AR is dipping under $500.00. I am looking hard at them. I have no interest in building a AR. Is the M&P worthwhile?

Can I ask where you've found an M&P Sport II under $500?? That's a steal, I'll take one!

Here's a Buy Now for $484.99...not including shipping and whatever your FFL charges:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/621385530

Here's a Buy Now for $484.99...not including shipping and whatever your FFL charges:

Thanks for the link.

?

The cheapest I've seen the Ruger AR556 is around $599.

At $484, plus shipping? ($50?) FFL transfer, maybe another $25...that's still a good deal.

?

At $484, plus shipping? ($50?) FFL transfer, maybe another $25...that's still a good deal.

Looks like shipping is $35 from that particular dealer. My LGS charges a $20 transfer fee. So, if I were to buy that rifle, I'd be in it for $540. YMMV

?

I just bought a sport II from sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com for 499.99. They have it listed at 539.99 but they price matched smokey mountains guns and ammo. I've bought from sos in the past and I'm happy with how they operate.

?

I just bought a sport II from sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com for 499.99. They have it listed at 539.99 but they price matched smokey mountains guns and ammo. I've bought from sos in the past and I'm happy with how they operate.

Also shipping was free and transfer was 22 bucks from my ffl. 521.99 total cost

Bought one on GunAuction for $488 + $25 shipping. Will let you know how it shoots when I get it.......

At these prices I don't know how an enthusiast can resist. The manufacturers ramped up production expecting a Hillary victory and then a buying panic. So there are a lot of rifles around, and the expected panic demand is not happening, so now's the time. If you're holding out for $400, well good luck with that!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys and gals, if you're still looking for an AR,(budget priced but high quality) might I suggest this one. Aero Precision AC-15M It's made with very high quality parts and the specs are way better than either a Ruger or the Sport II. I have a Sport II and while I really like it, I sure wish I would have purchased the Aero. The components on the Aero are all of higher quality. Brownell's had this Aero for 529 a few weeks ago. I paid 100 more than that for my Sport II. :(

I'll just add that I feel stupid for what I paid, in 2008 dollars, for what can be had today for many fewer 2017 dollars. Don't hesitate to buy now.

You " ain't " a kidding!

My very first AR was a FrankenBuild circa 2007 or 2008.

I bought a stripped lower. I also bought an Evolution Gun Works stripped upper.

At the time, I thought I was going to dabble in 3 gun or multigun competitions.

Back then, I couldn't find an 18" stainless, threaded, fluted barrel. So I bought a semi-complete upper. A 20 inch barrel. I think it was Rock River Arms who actually built it.

It was like $450 all by itself.

Then I still had to buy a bolt, BCG, and a charging handle.

So we are talking probably like $650 to $750 to complete that upper. Now, you can get complete guns for less than that.

• 3 weeks later...

I went through this a couple years ago in the lull between panics. I ended up with a Windham Weaponry "Sight Ready Carbine" for $525. The main reason I avoided the Ruger & Smith was because I did not want the big A frame front sight. But I did recently buy a Smith & Wesson M&P-10 (their version of the AR-10 in .308 Winchester), and finally got to shoot it for the first time a couple weekends ago. After a couple sighters, my first group with the first ammo I tried went into a group about 2" tall by 3 1/2" wide, at 225 yards- the gusty wind that day strung out my shots horizontally. I believe it would have been sub MOA on a calm day.

But yes, it looks like right now is a darn good time to buy an AR, for anyone who wants one.

Archived