FOID Revocation story with a happy ending

So about a year and a half ago, my buddy and his wife finally hit a point in their marriage that was the tipping point, so he decided it was over, gathered some of his stuff and moved out. No violence, small argument... but in the end, he simply moved out and made it clear they were over.

She immediate files an order of protection on him out of spite. Within a week, they have their court hearing and the judge throws out the OP.

Various meetings happen with their prospective lawyers, various court hearings.. and as of a few months ago (late summer, early fall) their divorce was finalized. We all assumed that was that.

So a couple weeks ago, he goes to a local gun shop to buy a gun. Fills out the paperwork and all that goes home. They called him the next day to inform him that his FOID wasn't valid, and had been revoked.

He calls the ISP and they inform him that his FOID was revoked the previous year when his wife issued the OP. The kicker here... they mailed the OP to his former address... his wife's address... and, of course, she never informed him about it. Seriously, though... why mail the OP to the address of the person who issued the OP??? It's not like he was even allowed to be there.

Anyway... he calls the local LEO and arranges to stop in and turn in his FOID. He then immediately contacted his lawyer and got the appeal paperwork put together to begin the process of getting his FOID back, assuming it would be cutting it close for the Friends of NRA banquet we're planning on going to in early March.

He got a letter from the ISP yesterday... didn't want to open it, assuming it was going to be one of many hoops he needed to jump through in the long process of getting his FOID back. So he opens it... and there's his shiny new FOID card.

One and one half weeks from appeal to new FOID card! :hyper: :clap:

One and one half weeks from appeal to new FOID card! :hyper: :clap:

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call – The Illinois State Police FOID System

http://www.timepilgrims.com/uploads/8/7/1/2/8712295/2981312_orig.jpg.

Edited by MagSlap

Did the ISP mail the address of his ex because he had not updated the address on the FOID? Also I wonder why when the OP was thrown out that the ISP was not notified?

My understanding is that the ISP is notified immediately upon the issuance of an OP, rather than awaiting the outcome of the hearing. I could be wrong on that, though...

OP, sounds like your buddy's lawyer did a great job. Can you share the lawyer's name with us?

I can try and find out, but keep in mind also that this all took place down south in the "free-er" part of the state. lol

Did the ISP mail the address of his ex because he had not updated the address on the FOID? Also I wonder why when the OP was thrown out that the ISP was not notified?

My understanding is that the ISP is notified immediately upon the issuance of an OP, rather than awaiting the outcome of the hearing. I could be wrong on that, though...

OP, sounds like your buddy's lawyer did a great job. Can you share the lawyer's name with us?

I can try and find out, but keep in mind also that this all took place down south in the "free-er" part of the state. lol

That's OK Glock23. We need good lawyers down here as well!