Automatic Knives for FOID Holders Becomes Law!

omg_its_john_cena

Wonder how long it will take the online out-of-state knife websites to get the message that it's ok to send switchblades to Illinois after the bill goes into law. Or to see a display of switchblades at my local sporting goods store. And will we be required to take the proverbial Wally World walk with a switchblade knife in our pocket or strapped to our leg?

The excitement builds.....

I have a couple I'd like to buy, but I'm waiting for the law to go into effect. It would be just my luck that I buy a knife and he pulls a veto out of thin air.

Then I would be out the money, and have an illegal item all of a sudden.

I can wait.

Also, imagine the confusion in other states when we have to send them a FOID copy to buy a knife.

Edited by Nanook

Also, imagine the confusion in other states when we have to send them a FOID copy to buy a knife.

I suppose it will be up to different company policies, but I dont expect a lot of companies to do that and rather, if they even do anything, having the buyer attest that they are aware of their local / state laws and it is legal for them to purchase.

FROM THE AMERICAN KNIFE INSTITUTE:

The only United States law regarding auto-open (automatic) knives is referred to as the Federal Switchblade Act. The act regulates the manufacture and introducing of switchblades into interstate (crossing state lines) commerce. It has NO application to individual consumers, or most merchants who sell knives. It has NO application to laws WITHIN a state.

The legislation (Public Law 85-623) was passed August 12, 1958 and incorporated into law in two sections. The first section prohibits importation and interstate commerce of switchblades or gravity knives and the second section prohibits automatics from being mailed through the U.S. Postal Service (with some exceptions – See U.S. Title 18 below).

• There is no federal restriction on ownership, possession or carrying of a switchblade knife. There are some states that have enacted laws regarding switchblades (see State Laws Regarding Auto-Open Knives). The majority of states allow auto-open knives.
  • There is no Federal restriction on the sale of auto-open knives within the 50 states. There are some state laws with restrictions regarding selling switchblades (see State Laws Regarding Auto-Open Knives).
  • There are no Federal restrictions on other carriers such as UPS or FedEx regarding automatic knives. The Federal Switchblade Act only prohibits sending automatics through the U.S. Postal Service.

Wonder how long it will take the online out-of-state knife websites to get the message that it's ok to send switchblades to Illinois after the bill goes into law. Or to see a display of switchblades at my local sporting goods store. And will we be required to take the proverbial Wally World walk with a switchblade knife in our pocket or strapped to our leg?

The excitement builds.....

About the same amount of time it's taking On-line ammo dealers to get the message that it's OK to send ammo to IL, Cook County, AND Chicago. How long has it been now? They STILL haven't gotten the message.

FROM THE AMERICAN KNIFE INSTITUTE:

The only United States law regarding auto-open (automatic) knives is referred to as the Federal Switchblade Act. The act regulates the manufacture and introducing of switchblades into interstate (crossing state lines) commerce. It has NO application to individual consumers, or most merchants who sell knives. It has NO application to laws WITHIN a state.

The legislation (Public Law 85-623) was passed August 12, 1958 and incorporated into law in two sections. The first section prohibits importation and interstate commerce of switchblades or gravity knives and the second section prohibits automatics from being mailed through the U.S. Postal Service (with some exceptions – See U.S. Title 18 below).

• There is no federal restriction on ownership, possession or carrying of a switchblade knife. There are some states that have enacted laws regarding switchblades (see State Laws Regarding Auto-Open Knives). The majority of states allow auto-open knives.
  • There is no Federal restriction on the sale of auto-open knives within the 50 states. There are some state laws with restrictions regarding selling switchblades (see State Laws Regarding Auto-Open Knives).
  • There are no Federal restrictions on other carriers such as UPS or FedEx regarding automatic knives. The Federal Switchblade Act only prohibits sending automatics through the U.S. Postal Service.

I suspect this is why my friend's AO came USPS - it was an Illinois dealer.

Whatever day the bill is enacted, what are the odds that the online retailers will ship to Illinois?

I think they are pretty good.

edit:without going into detail, I hear it's already possible and I guess I think the knife sellers will be receptive after pointing them to the public act once enacted if they are not aware. They havent had years of bad Chicago press or lawsuit threats by city or AG.

Although the FOID part...they may not care, may not want to deal with or just require signature you are aware of laws and in compliance.

Edited by InterestedBystander

Buy now from Illinois company; don't worry about Federal laws shipping across state lines.

AIK Adams International Knifeworks

http://www.adamsknifeworks.com/store/index.php

This is the third time in as many days that I have heard mention of this company, with the previous two being high endorsements of AIK as a edged weapon supplier. I have them bookmarked in my resources file for such things now.

Buy now from Illinois company; don't worry about Federal laws shipping across state lines.

AIK Adams International Knifeworks

http://www.adamsknifeworks.com/store/index.php

Fact is, they are still illegal to possess in Illinois for another 8 days or so. I have already checked out their site a month ago when I first heard of them though.

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to knives, more so automatic knives. Can someone recommend one for around $50-$60?
Not sure about that price range, but for slightly more you could get the Kershaw Launch 4 mini... I think it's around $80.

I plan on grabbing one of those, as well as the launch 6.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk