Automatic Knives for FOID Holders Becomes Law!

omg_its_john_cena

The entire situation is typical of where 2A rights sit right now. Yes, you can have an automatic but 'they' restrict interstate (read: cheap on-line sources) sales. And no local preemption. And no universal recognition (although I note I can carry all the way to the Smokies!). We have to fight for every little piece --- and then watch out 'cause 'they' are always trying to . . . .

Almost sounds paranoid doesn't it?

Out the front. I've never had an expensive knife. Is a $200 knife that much better than one for $50 or is it kind of like red wine? Better, but mainly an extravagance?

The major difference I've seen is the steel used for the blade. I constantly sharpen SOG knives, but it's rare for me to sharpen a Benchmade knife. Have not sharpened a Benchmade knife twice yet. Just a quick stropping on a leather strap and they are shaving sharp again. There are other reasons (locking, design, and fit/finish) but the better steel is a constant reminder to me. Benchmade is not the only company that makes expensive, high-quality knives. I've just had good luck with them. Edited by OldMarineVet

Out the front. I've never had an expensive knife. Is a $200 knife that much better than one for $50 or is it kind of like red wine? Better, but mainly an extravagance?

Quite often, a good $200 knife will have significant advantages over a good $50 knife, generally in areas such as ergonomics, durability, blade steel, and so on.

That does not in any way mean that just because a knife is $200, it must be better than a $50 knife. There's a ton of overpriced crap on the knife market.

My suggestion is to find one you like, that's in your price range, sticking with one of the reputable manufacturers; Kershaw/ZT, HK, Benchmade, Protech, Microtech are a few that are generally known for quality knives in all different price ranges.

I have yet to find a decent mid-range OTF. It's like there's a complete hole in the market between the $30 Taiwanese Lightning (which is basically gas-station knife quality) and the $270 Ultratech (which is a really well-made knife). The options in between aren't really much better quality than the Lightning; certainly not enough to justify the $150 higher price (here's a tip: if a seller says "made in the USA" but can't or won't tell you specifically what metals the handle and blade are made of, they're almost certainly just assembling Chinese pot-metal parts kits). I think it's partly due to the Federal import restrictions; you can get the cheap imports, because if they seize a crate or two, who cares? Or you can get the quality American-made knives, but the mid-range imports are too expensive to take the risk of customs issues...

Edited by kemikos

The Microtech I ordered just arrived today and man is it nice!

For an OTF, the lockup on it is very solid, and there's barely any side to side and front to back movement.

The trigger that fires and retracts the blade takes some force to activate both to open and close it. To close it the force required to move the trigger is a bit less than to open it. I wouldn't worry about anything accidentally firing the blade.

Great knife, and I can already see that I'll eventually have a collection lol

They're dangerous, aren't they (strictly in the sense that you want more once you have one)? I'm probably going to pick up a UTX-70 when they do another run (that's the Ultratech, but scaled down to 70% of the size).

Which one did you get?

They're dangerous, aren't they (strictly in the sense that you want more once you have one)? I'm probably going to pick up a UTX-70 when they do another run (that's the Ultratech, but scaled down to 70% of the size).

Which one did you get?

I ended up getting an Ultratech 2017 Blade Show edition. Stone washed blade, razor sharp, and it's dual edged.

Really nice knife! I might get another one in a few months. I don't really buy guns anymore (I have most of the ones I want) so I might as well start picking up a few knives lol.

For an OTF, the lockup on it is very solid, and there's barely any side to side and front to back movement.

The trigger that fires and retracts the blade takes some force to activate both to open and close it. To close it the force required to move the trigger is a bit less than to open it. I wouldn't worry about anything accidentally firing the blade.

Which one did you go with? I want a utx-70 but they don't have them in stock anywhere. And no word from microtech on when they will be back. I'm trying to be patient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Which one did you get?

I ended up getting an Ultratech 2017 Blade Show edition. Stone washed blade, razor sharp, and it's dual edged.

Really nice knife! I might get another one in a few months. I don't really buy guns anymore (I have most of the ones I want) so I might as well start picking up a few knives lol.

Nice but some of those go for as much as a gun. Lol! However, the work that goes into them isn't cheap I get that.

Which one did you get?

Nice but some of those go for as much as a gun. Lol! However, the work that goes into them isn't cheap I get that.

The Microtech's I really want are all over $500. I'm not interested in spending that kind of money right now so the one I bought will keep me happy until I have the spare funds for one of their top shelf models.

Which one did you go with? I want a utx-70 but they don't have them in stock anywhere. And no word from microtech on when they will be back. I'm trying to be patient.

I asked a Microtech employee about two months ago, he said there should be a run of 70s later this year...

For what it is worth, unlawful per local ordinance in Orland Park:

VILLAGE OF ORLAND PARK

Ordinance No: 4889

It is unlawful to...

1. Sell, manufacture, purchase, possess or carry on their person, or in their vehicle, any bludgeon, black-jack, slung shot, sand club or sand club metal knuckles or other knuckle weapon, throwing star or any knife commonly referred to or known as a switchblade knife;

Time to talk to the mayor. Thank you for posting the non-preemption concern. I would not have looked otherwise.

Why do these places have the need for local laws repeating what was/is state law?

Highland Park:

Sec. 130.020. - Unlawful use of weapons.

(A) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:

(1) Sells, manufactures, purchases or possesses or carries any bludgeon, blackjack, slingshot, sandclub, sandbag, metal knuckles or any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade knife, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, or

and Aurora:

Sec. 29-43. - Unlawful use of weapons.

(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:

(1) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses or carries any bludgeon, blackjack, slingshot, sand-club, sand-bag, metal knuckles, throwing star, butterfly knife, nunchaku (which shall be defined for purposes of this subsection as an instrument consisting of two (2) or more sticks, clubs, bars or rods to be used as handles, connected by a rope, cord, wire or chain, in the design of a weapon used in connection with the practice of a system of self-defense) or any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade knife, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife; or a ballistic knife, which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as a projectile by means of a coil spring, elastic material or compressed gas; or

(12) Carries or possesses on or about his person any bludgeon, blackjack, sling-shot, sandclub, sand-bag, metal knuckles, throwing star, butterfly knife, nunchaku, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, tear gas gun projector bomb or any object containing noxious liquid gas, pistol or revolver or other firearm, bomb, grenade, bottle or other container containing an explosive substance of over one-quarter ounce, or cartridge while in the building or on the grounds of any elementary or secondary school, community college, college or university or while on the grounds of any public parks, playground forest preserve or residential property owned, operated or managed by a public housing agency or while on any public way within one thousand (1,000) feet of the real property comprising any school or public park or residential property owned, operated, or managed by a public housing agency. This subsection shall not apply to law enforcement officers or security officers of such school, college, university, park, forest preserve or public housing agency, nor to students carrying or possessing firearms for use in training courses, parades, hunting, target shooting on school ranges, or otherwise with the consent of school authorities and which firearms are transported unloaded and enclosed in a suitable case, box or transportation package.

West Chicago

Sec. 11-133. - Unlawful use.

(1) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses or carries any bludgeon, blackjack, slingshot, sandclub, sandbag, shotgun with a barrel less than eighteen (18) inches in length, metal knuckles or any knife; commonly referred to as a switchblade knife, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife; or

Edited by InterestedBystander

Keep posting those local Chicago area switchblade bans!

Like those "no gun" places, I have no desire to shop, eat or visit a city or shop that bans weapons that are now completely legal in the state!!!

Besides that, I'm always looking for excuses to not visit the Chicago area!

Good idea, please keep posting local switchblade laws and I'll gather them. It looks like there's more of them than we thought! If so, this could help our representatives leverage a knife law preemption bill. I start maintaining a document for our use also.

Send me a PM with the name of the township and law if you don't want to publish personal information beyond me. I just received an email on this one in Addison. Only prohibits selling switchblades:

=================================================================

Sec. 21-3. Sale, etc., of Certain Knives.

It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, offer for sale or possess for the purpose of selling any knife, the blade of which shall open or be exposed by any push button, spring or mechanical device. (Ord. 70-32)

"Based on this as we are a home rule community our ordinance supersedes State law."

Edited by OldMarineVet

Think most stores will get them in soon

Benchmade rep is in tomorrow as I heard today

I was told that Mega will have Kershaw, Microtech, Benchmade, Paragon, Spyderco so far.

If I'm of on the names it's due to just talking and not taking notes, plus my ignorance about such companies

If the size of the current inventory is any indication, there will be a huge selection of these auto devices here soon

Just FYI for the inquiring guy and gal

So...on municode site, Plainfield has the following:

Sec. 6-13. - Unlawful use of weapons.

(1) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses or carries any bludgeon, black-jack, sling-shot, sand-club, sand-bag, metal knuckles, throwing star, or any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade knife, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife; or

How does that impact the store?

Edited by InterestedBystander

I was quite surprised to find just how much force is required to activate on the ultratech. After a couple of times my thumb is a little sore....no worries about activating in pocket!

I was quite surprised to find just how much force is required to activate on the ultratech. After a couple of times my thumb is a little sore....no worries about activating in pocket!

From the older ones I fooled around with, they seemed to be a bit less stiff, but they were approximately 3-4 years old and used regularly by my buddy in Texas. But when I say "less stiff", it wasn't by much, perhaps easier to close is all.

I like it a lot, and it really solves the problem I had with a spring assisted openers I was carrying on my weak side. Even with practice, I found it difficult to grip and deploy quickly enough to use effectively. The OTF works extremely well for that use. As soon as I pull it out of my weak side pocket, my hand grips it perfectly, and the switch falls right under my thumb, ready to be activated.

The one thing I'm curious about is, does the extension of the blade have enough force to pierce something like a belly? It comes out with authority, and I can see being in a ground and pound situation where you're on the losing end, and pressing the end of the blade against your assailant's belly and activating the blade. I haven't been able to find much online regarding this particular use.

Keep posting those local Chicago area switchblade bans!

Like those "no gun" places, I have no desire to shop, eat or visit a city or shop that bans weapons that are now completely legal in the state!!!

Besides that, I'm always looking for excuses to not visit the Chicago area!

Good idea, please keep posting local switchblade laws and I'll gather them. It looks like there's more of them than we thought! If so, this could help our representatives leverage a knife law preemption bill. I start maintaining a document for our use also.

Send me a PM with the name of the township and law if you don't want to publish personal information beyond me. I just received an email on this one in Addison. Only prohibits selling switchblades:

=================================================================

Sec. 21-3. Sale, etc., of Certain Knives.

It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, offer for sale or possess for the purpose of selling any knife, the blade of which shall open or be exposed by any push button, spring or mechanical device. (Ord. 70-32)

"Based on this as we are a home rule community our ordinance supersedes State law."

Sticky time....

Anywhere in the far NE IL selling auto knifes?

From the older ones I fooled around with, they seemed to be a bit less stiff, but they were approximately 3-4 years old and used regularly by my buddy in Texas. But when I say "less stiff", it wasn't by much, perhaps easier to close is all.

I like it a lot, and it really solves the problem I had with a spring assisted openers I was carrying on my weak side. Even with practice, I found it difficult to grip and deploy quickly enough to use effectively. The OTF works extremely well for that use. As soon as I pull it out of my weak side pocket, my hand grips it perfectly, and the switch falls right under my thumb, ready to be activated.

The one thing I'm curious about is, does the extension of the blade have enough force to pierce something like a belly? It comes out with authority, and I can see being in a ground and pound situation where you're on the losing end, and pressing the end of the blade against your assailant's belly and activating the blade. I haven't been able to find much online regarding this particular use.

As I understand it and have seen in videos, if the blade encounters any resistance at deployment it derails on its track so, no it wont pierce a person. If you did it against your palm it may draw a little blood but wont stick into your hand. You tube has several videos of people using paper pads etc to disrupt blade deployment. Just nicks to cardboard. To reset the blade you pull it all the way out till it clicks and it should work again.