Automatic Knives for FOID Holders Becomes Law!

omg_its_john_cena

Now, who makes a rig for carrying a blade on ones lower leg. Got 2 Italian switch blades going into service soon.
Seems to be a number of options if you spend some google time
e.g.
http://www.hoffners.com/2536-large_default/underguard-covert-weapon-calf-holster.jpg

Now, who makes a rig for carrying a blade on ones lower leg. Got 2 Italian switch blades going into service soon.
e.g.
http://www.hoffners.com/2536-large_default/underguard-covert-weapon-calf-holster.jpg

I wonder if we will be legal to carry them concealed though.

I wonder if we will be legal to carry them concealed though.
You mean like I can't just have it in my pocket but must have the clip showing? Why would this be any different than any other knife I can carry now e.g a spring assist opener?

There were no other changes to this bill relating to any carry (edit: other than being able to carry one) or concealment that I recall

Edited by InterestedBystander

Synopsis of bill on the Illinois website clearly states "carry."

"Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Provides an exemption from the prohibition on sale, manufacture, purchase, possession, or carrying of a switchblade knife to a person who possesses a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card"

Law is "effective immediately" when (and if) the governor signs this bill.

Synopsis of bill on the Illinois website clearly states "carry."

"Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Provides an exemption from the prohibition on sale, manufacture, purchase, possession, or carrying of a switchblade knife to a person who possesses a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card"[/size]

Law is "effective immediately" when (and if) the governor signs this bill.[/size]

yes, and my reference should have been for any carry other than being able to carry one. It doesnt address concealment, how or when it must be carried, etc. As such it seems to me like any knife carry provisions, auto or not, will not be changed.

• 4 weeks later...

Sooooo, can we carrry it concealed? Just loose in our pocket or do we have to hang it exposed on our belt

The only change this bill makes is to add an exception to the part of UUW that deals with automatic knives (i.e., "this section does not apply to FOID holders or knife dealers"). It does not make any other changes to the law, and as far as I'm aware, UUW has never made a distinction between open and concealed carry. Therefore, you can carry a knife however you want under state law.

You'll have to check your local ordinances to find out if your municipality has any additional restrictions, but state law doesn't specify how you can carry a knife.

Here's a link to "Bills Pending Governor Action."

http://ilga.gov/reports/Preview.asp?t=cr&k=8&ga=14&y=1&h=Bills%20Pending%20Governor%20Action%20(1st%20Yr)

There aren't many bills as old as the Knife bill ... but since I've watched this report, I've noticed many, many newer bills have been appear on the list and then disappear, which probably means he signed the "newer" bills.

Wonder how he picks which bills he signs and which he just ignores. Do that old bill should his bias? His staff's bias?

From a political strategy standpoint, it might be smart for him to appear neutral on weapons bills. He knows that gun owners are going to vote R by a landslide, and only going to really dislike him if he works against a bill we like.

By appearing neutral, even if he secretly supports it, it removes an attack vector for the next election.

And as gun owners, we do want him re-elected over the D challenger.

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I looked, there were 545 bills on the Gov's desk. I'm sure this one isn't a priority for him. He isn't going to sign it. 15 more days to go.

Well, I guess I waited this long ... so I can wait another couple of weeks! Meanwhile I dream of moving to states were guns are a good thing, as are knives ... and a state where the governor only has THREE(3) ... count them One, Two, Three days to sign a bill into law instead of 60 dang days.