Automatic Knives for FOID Holders Becomes Law!

omg_its_john_cena

Thanks for the reply! Wonder what's going to happen when the current legislative session ends? What happens if the current session ends and the bill has not been forwarded during the 30 day time limit?

Does sending previously passed bills to governor automatically carry over the next session?

Since llinois Lawmakers have adjourned their regular legislative session, what happens to this bill SB0607 that has been passed by both houses? I know Illinois law states legislature has 30 days to send bill to governor, who in turn has 60 days to sign or veto ... but does the "30 day count down clock" stop when legislature is not in session and restart in the next session? Have all the lights been turned off in Springfield or is there some clerk who hopefully works 40 hour weeks year round, getting bills ready to send the governor.

Bill passed on the 18th and it is still in waiting to be sent status. But it is not alone. 490 bills passed this session. 2 have been sent to governor. 1 was vetoed and the other is awaiting action.

Not sure why they would wait sending to him unless a strategy to lobby for some type of veto and that would surprise me in spite of Rep Willis fears of this bill.

They have not adjourned yet. Both chambers are in "Recess to the Call of the Chair".

Mauserme stated shortly after recessing that they may be in session every Wednesday in the month of June. I am not sure when the announcement would be made were they to be in session this Wed. the 7th.

It's why it's also imperative that we check in regularly throughout the summer/or until adjournment. They still have a chance at calling several bills, both for and against IC's position.

Edited by cls74

Any movement on the knife bill toward the mansion?

Its not there yet, although they have sent a couple of other bills to him.

HB2360 SECURE CHOICE SAVINGS PROGRAM 06/01/2017 House Sent to the Governor

HB3164 LIQUOR-SALE NEAR CHURCH/SCHOOL 06/06/2017 House Sent to the Governor

SB2034 BAIL REFORM ACT/CRIM CD-THREAT 06/05/2017 Senate Sent to the Governor

Which automatic knives are ya'll going to buy the second this goes through? I'm really looking forward to finding a shop I can try some of the Benchmade automatics out, I've been super happy with the assisted openers of theirs that I have.

I'm going with the Benchmade Mini-barrage. Blade is pretty close to the legal length and am real happy with my Mini-griptilian. But does blade length limit change with this law too?

Which automatic knives are ya'll going to buy the second this goes through? I'm really looking forward to finding a shop I can try some of the Benchmade automatics out, I've been super happy with the assisted openers of theirs that I have.

I'm going with the Benchmade Mini-barrage. Blade is pretty close to the legal length and am real happy with my Mini-griptilian. But does blade length limit change with this law too?

The Mini-barrage isn't an auto knife fyi. It's a spring assisted opener that's perfectly legal in the state today. Great knife, but if you're looking for an auto, that's not one.

What auto-opening knife are you going to buy?

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65787

Edited by InterestedBystander

The Mini-barrage isn't an auto knife fyi. It's a spring assisted opener that's perfectly legal in the state today. Great knife, but if you're looking for an auto, that's not one.

Thanks man. I learn something new every day on this site. Back to the Benchmade site...

§ 8-24-020 Sale or possession of deadly weapons

f.

No person shall carry concealed on or about his person a dagger, any knife with a blade more than two and one-half inches in length, or other dangerous weapon. Provided, however, that this provision shall not apply to the following officers while engaged in the discharge of their official duties: sheriffs, peace officers, and corrections officers; nor to the following employees or agents while engaged in the discharge of the duties of their employment: conductors, baggagemen, messengers, drivers, watchmen, special agents and policemen employed by railroads or express companies; nor to persons lawfully summoned by an officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace, while so engaged in assisting such officer.

g.

Unless the enhanced penalty imposed by subsection 8-4-350( b )( 3 ) or subsection 8-4-355( b )( 3 ) of this Code applies, any person violating this section shall be fined $200.00 for each offense, or shall be punished by imprisonment for a period not to exceed six months, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

h.

Any weapons used in violation of this section shall be forfeited to the city.

https://chicagocode.org/8-24-020/

So would state law superseded this Chicago nonsense?

Would suck to lose a Benchmade to crooks in Chicago.

Edited by kevinmcc

Correct me if I am wrong, please: by Federal Law, like handguns, you have to buy in your state of residence (excludes some like first responders, military).

"In the USA, switchblades remain illegal to import from abroad or to purchase through interstate commerce since 1958 under the Switchblade Knife Act (15 U.S.C. §§1241-1245)"

Correct me if I am wrong, please: by Federal Law, like handguns, you have to buy in your state of residence (excludes some like first responders, military).

"In the USA, [/size]switchblades remain illegal to import from abroad or to[/size] purchase through interstate commerce [/size]since 1958 under the [/size]Switchblade Knife [/size]Act (15 U.S.C. §§1241-1245)"[/size]

I think that is technically correct (something to do with shipping interstate as you mentioned), but it seems to be very loosely enforced. Edited by InterestedBystander

"In the USA, switchblades remain illegal to import from abroad or to purchase through interstate commerce since 1958 under the Switchblade Knife Act (15 U.S.C. §§1241-1245)"

Only applies to US Mail.

The legislative office is sure taking their sweet time about getting this bill over to the governor to sign...geesh! Seems like they plan on using the full 30 days.

Yeah, I'm getting nervous about that. Bill was passed by both houses on 5/18. Not holding out a lot of hope that it was be sent to the governor in the next four days. Wonder if that 30 day time frame is "calendar days" or "week days" or, God forbid, "Congress in session days!!!!" Also wonder what happens if bill isn't sent to governor during the 30 day deadline?????