Automatic Knives for FOID Holders Becomes Law!

omg_its_john_cena

Done

SB607 is correct. I think the thread title is wrong. SB711 is related to the Vehicle code and short titles.

Not sure why/when they do and dont use leading zeroes on their bill numbers even though they are all 4 digits :-)

SB711 was a prior years knife bill which did not get passed. Only the OP, if a supporting member, or I assume a Mod can change the title.

Edited by InterestedBystander

I filed a witness slip for SB607 at the end of February. Is there any reason for me to do it again?

I believe so since it was just released in the House to a committee.

Senate slips will nit follow into the house so you would need a new one, uless you see your name in the link below

http://my.ilga.gov/Hearing/WitnessSlipInfo/100589?hearingId=14886&LegislationDocumentId=127690&HCommittees5%2F10%2F2017-page=1&committeeid=0&chamber=H&nodays=7&_=1493862934382

I filed a witness slip for SB607 at the end of February. Is there any reason for me to do it again?

Yes. Witness slips, as I understand it, are only good for the hearing which they were filed for. When that bill does not get called or the hearing is cancelled/rescheduled, slips are not reported and you are basically starting over on witness slips for that next hearing. Previous hearings and slips were for the Senate and the bill has now moved on to the House.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

2nd Reading today and placed on House calendar for 3rd reading.

one step closer

5/9/2017HouseDo Pass / Short Debate Judiciary - Criminal Committee; 013-000-000

5/10/2017HousePlaced on Calendar 2nd Reading - Short Debate

5/11/2017HouseSecond Reading - Short Debate

5/11/2017HousePlaced on Calendar Order of 3rd Reading - Short Debate

Just an observation, in case the question comes up: Nonresidents will not be covered by this bill unless they have a FOID.

The current FOID Act allows nonresidents to possess firearms and ammunition in the state without a FOID card. SB607 does not add switchblades to this list. Nonresidents who qualify for and have a FOID will be allowed to possess a switchblade, but other nonresidents will not.

Edited by kwc

Yes because everybody knows that if you have a knife blade that shoots out at the push of a button it clearly becomes more deadly than any other bladed object. Especially in a CCL holders hands.

And these people are not only allowed to speak but also permitted to run a state huh ? Fear mongering morons. When is the illogical nonsense gonna stop.... Probably never right.

Just like FCCL holders have to abide by the "cooling off" period to purchase a new firearm when we have one on our person...

Just an observation, in case the question comes up: Nonresidents will not be covered by this bill unless they have a FOID.

The current FOID Act allows nonresidents to possess firearms and ammunition in the state without a FOID card. SB607 does not add switchblades to this list. Nonresidents who qualify for and have a FOID will be allowed to possess a switchblade, but other nonresidents will not.

How many nonresidents have FOID's? I thought that was one of the conundrums of the old UUW that was addressed by Holmes in 2011.

Not sure of the actual number of nonresidents who have FOIDs. There are at least 25K or 30K that are eligible. Nevertheless, most nonresidents don't qualify.

Holmes doesn't help us here. The IL Supreme Court ruling addressed two issues: unloaded and in a case / accessibility, and a unified reading of both the UUW statute and the FOID Act as they apply to possession of firearms. It is the latter issue that you are probably thinking of here.

The FOID Act allows possession of firearms, tasers, stun guns, and ammunition without a FOID card under specific circumstances. Provisions include:

(9) Nonresidents whose firearms are unloaded and enclosed in a case;

(10) Nonresidents who are currently licensed or registered to possess a firearm in their resident state;

The court said that Holmes was legal to possess a firearm because he did have a license to carry in Indiana, even if he didn't have it with him. (As an aside, an actual physical license isn't required; a more recent Federal court ruling in the Central District Court of Illinois concluded that "allowed to possess" in one's home state is what this section of the statute really means.)

But the FOID Act doesn't mention knives, nor does the proposed switchblade bill add anything about them. The bill only makes changes to the UUW/AUUW statute. So neither of these nonresident exemptions in the FOID Act apply to nonresident possession of switchblades.

It's an important nuance because if the bill passes, the headlines will say that Illinois no longer bans switchblade knives for FOID holders, and nonresidents used to bringing firearms into the state under the FOID exemptions might assume they would also be legal carrying a switchblade into the state, too. They would be mistaken.

Nevertheless, the legislation is progress and it's encouraging to see the level of support it is receiving.

Edited by kwc

Technology has all but passed the prohibition on these types of knives. The days of the Soc's and Greasers are long gone, stay golden Ponyboy.

Truthfully, as a deer hunter I could see this as advantageous should a fall from stand occur. Hanging from the lifeline and potentially having blood or oxygen cut off from restriction, a press of a button rather than a failed flip of a lever could be the difference in permanent disability or death.

2nd Reading today and placed on House calendar for 3rd reading.

one step closer

5/9/2017HouseDo Pass / Short Debate Judiciary - Criminal Committee; 013-000-000

5/10/2017HousePlaced on Calendar 2nd Reading - Short Debate

5/11/2017HouseSecond Reading - Short Debate

5/11/2017HousePlaced on Calendar Order of 3rd Reading - Short Debate

So all that's left is the 3rd reading in the House, then the vote, then on to the governor to sign or veto, right?

I sincerely hope this bill is enacted ... on behalf of all disabled people who have difficulty opening a traditional pocket knife.

Silly question, but are there blade length restrictions in the state? I keep hearing that Chicago does, but I've never seen the actual law, so I'm not sure if it's reality or just word-of-mouth.

Long story short, 3" in the general rule I believe but yes each municipality can have their own restrictions. Chicago is 2.5" I believe.

Then there's the whole intent thing and each cop is different so.....

Silly question, but are there blade length restrictions in the state? I keep hearing that Chicago does, but I've never seen the actual law, so I'm not sure if it's reality or just word-of-mouth.

State law (IL UUW) says it's illegal to carry a "dangerous knife" with the intent to use it in an unlawful manner, then defines "dangerous knife" as one with a blade longer than three inches. I guess it's perfectly fine to carry a knife with the intent to use it in an unlawful manner if it's less than 3"...

So under state law, if they can prove you intended to use your hunting knife unlawfully, you might be breaking the law. If it's just sitting in your pocket or on your belt, no issues.

Local ordinances vary. For instance, any blade over 2.5" is prohibited in Chicago, full stop.