Closest outdoor range to Chicago?

McCroskey

What's the closest outdoor shooting range to Chicago? I'm guessing Bristol, but I have not been there in years and hear nothing about it except that the people working there are all power tripping jerks and I don't need that ruining my day. I was thinking of checking out the new facility at Willow Slough in Indiana, but am hearing similar things about them now...

There has to be something around here that isn't staffed by jerks and isn't a 2-hour drive??

I want to shoot my rifles!

I live in the Northern burbs and my family has a place just over the border in WI, I go shooting at McMiller in Eagle WI often. If you care to make a weekend trip of it stay at a local hotel and enjoy a weekend of shooting and hiking or even camping. You have the kettle moraine forest right there with lots of nature trails, plenty of places to camp.

Check out Aurora Sportsman Club.

I don't know where your at, but it's about 60 miles from downtown, straight West.

We have everything from 25' to 600 yards. Skeet & trap. Archery and fishing.

Very inexpensive. Every club has a few A...holes, but I haven't found any yet.8

I live in the Northern burbs and my family has a place just over the border in WI, I go shooting at McMiller in Eagle WI often. If you care to make a weekend trip of it stay at a local hotel and enjoy a weekend of shooting and hiking or even camping. You have the kettle moraine forest right there with lots of nature trails, plenty of places to camp.

Kettle Moraine is beautiful. We used to camp there all the time in boy scouts.

Willow Slough or Kingsbury. Both about the same distance from downtown Chicago.

I shot at Willow for many years and visited at some of the range masters homes many times

Lots of good folks used to shoot there before they fixed it up now most old timers drive a little further and shoot at the J P range where they have a 200 yard range and you still shoot for free and you can still have your coffee handt and smoke if you chose to do so.

The NEW W S is now a franchised operation and not a DNR run operation.

Yes I was there opening day and have 0 intentions of ever returning again.

I agree with Terry. ASC is awesome. The ranges are plentiful and every member I've met thus far has been pretty cool. Really happy we joined. John

I don't know where your at, but it's about 60 miles from downtown, straight West.

My bro in law has an ASC membership. He lives relatively close to there so I go with him. Very cool range, even cooler people. If I wasn't 2 hours away I'd get my own membership for sure.

And they just built 9 more ranges for action sports and rentals freeing up the rifle/pistol ranges for members.

I agree with Terry. ASC is awesome. The ranges are plentiful and every member I've met thus far has been pretty cool. Really happy we joined. John

Yep! Love my 2nd home

• 2 weeks later...

Also, I've heard ISRA allows a single guest per visit. Does ASC?

You can have 3 shooting guests at a time at ASC. They each need to have a wristband and sign the waiver. I've been a member at ASC for 3 years, one of the pluses is the liberal guest policy. Some of the others are shooting steel, drawing from a holster, and the sheer size of the range. Also they allow cannons, I wish I had one.

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

I've also heard good things about McMiller, but haven't been there due to the distance.

Bristol is closer, but that place is awful. Range officers are true Nazi's, you can only have 5 rounds in handguns, you can only have ONE round in rifles (what the heck!) and you can only shoot ammo that you purchased there. Also, NO CCW is allowed! Are they a shooting range or a meeting place for Moms Demand Action? Forget them.

I'd be interested to know if there are any good outdoor ranges in the northern suburbs or close-by. I'm guessing there are none.

Far SW suburbs....Saint Charles Sportsman Club.

Members and invited guests only. Great facility, great people.

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, Five Stand, Rifle, Pistol, Archery, and Fishing Pond.

Only downside is that the Rifle range is limited to 100 yards and .22 most days. Monthly events allow for .223, 7.62, and just about anything else.

Full member Pricing is reasonable at $175 annual dues. (One time initiation fee also required)

Less expensive shooting memberships available but limit access

Full Members get gate key and unlimited access. Turn machines on. Turn lights on for after hours shooting.

Archived