Powder River spring and sear kit for XDs

papa

The XDs I handled at the Gun store had a better trigger than this one that I bought. If my pistol had a trigger anything close to any of the Glocks I have dry fired I wouldn't be complaining .

I've dry fired this pistol every day since I bought it plus put 200 + rounds down range and it still sucks big time. From everything I have read it seems there is no consistency in the triggers of these pistols.

I will be buying the spring and sear kit next month. I look forward to patriot1776 reviewing the trigger kit after installing in his pistol.

I just got the trigger kit and sear in the mail . Now have to find someone / gunsmith to put it in . That will be after the holidays . What really frosts my cookies about this is plenty . First a company like Springfield , ships this out to Croatia to be made , needs a recall on the pistol , has such an inconsistent trigger / quality control . They are not known for striker fired pistols and maybe should have delayed the roll out of these until they had more time to work on the triggers ? Mine is an early model , i got it right after the XDS came out , the 9mm was not even developed yet . I bet people with the better triggers have later production guns . Another question , the parts used in the recall , how many manufacturers were used ? Any of the parts in this gun MIM (metal injection molded ) ? Glock uses some of these today and i replace them . Just throwing out some food for though and discussion . Some observations on my striker fired pistols . The best trigger out of the box Walther PPQ M2 , next with 3.5 pound connectors and NY-1 Trigger Springs added , my Glocks extremely consistent , the worst XDS . The best non striker automatic pistol, Springfield 1911 TRP .45 ACP a joy to shoot . Second, Sig Sauer 226 Elite 9mm all the internal bells and whistles from the sig custom shop . Revolvers , all Smith & Wesson from the Performance shop so i know a decent , good and excellent trigger .

I just got the trigger kit and sear in the mail . Now have to find someone / gunsmith to put it in . That will be after the holidays . What really frosts my cookies about this is plenty . First a company like Springfield , ships this out to Croatia to be made , needs a recall on the pistol , has such an inconsistent trigger / quality control . They are not known for striker fired pistols and maybe should have delayed the roll out of these until they had more time to work on the triggers ? Mine is an early model , i got it right after the XDS came out , the 9mm was not even developed yet . I bet people with the better triggers have later production guns . Another question , the parts used in the recall , how many manufacturers were used ? Any of the parts in this gun MIM (metal injection molded ) ? Glock uses some of these today and i replace them . Just throwing out some food for though and discussion . Some observations on my striker fired pistols . The best trigger out of the box Walther PPQ M2 , next with 3.5 pound connectors and NY-1 Trigger Springs added , my Glocks extremely consistent , the worst XDS . The best non striker automatic pistol, Springfield 1911 TRP .45 ACP a joy to shoot . Second, Sig Sauer 226 Elite 9mm all the internal bells and whistles from the sig custom shop . Revolvers , all Smith & Wesson from the Performance shop so i know a decent , good and excellent trigger .

My gun was a new in the box .45 version. There isn't even an excuse for it coming back after recall and having a worse trigger. It was this way out of the box.

My LCP II has tree times the better trigger as this XDs. I know it isn't a target pistol but there is no reason for it to be like this. I love the looks and feel of this gun in my hand and picked it over the S&W Shield for this reason.

My Keltec PF9 even has a better trigger.

I just got the trigger kit and sear in the mail . Now have to find someone / gunsmith to put it in

Check Youtube. I've seen disassembly videos for the XDS. it doesn't look that difficult. (I've just, myself, not yet needed to attempt it.)

First a company like Springfield ships this out to Croatia to be made needs a recall on the pistol has such an inconsistent trigger / quality control They are not known for striker fired pistols and maybe should have delayed the roll out of these until they had more time to work on the triggers Mine is an early model i got it right after the XDS came out the 9mm was not even developed yet I bet people with the better triggers have later production guns Another question the parts used in the recall how many manufacturers were used Any of the parts in this gun MIM (metal injection molded ) Glock uses some of these today and i replace them Just throwing out some food for though and discussion Some observations on my striker fired pistols The best trigger out of the box Walther PPQ M2 next with 3.5 pound connectors and NY-1 Trigger Springs added my Glocks extremely consistent the worst XDS The best non striker automatic pistol Springfield 1911 TRP .45 ACP a joy to shoot Second Sig Sauer 226 Elite 9mm all the internal bells and whistles from the sig custom shop Revolvers all Smith & Wesson from the Performance shop so i know a decent good and excellent trigger

You don't like the gun? Sell it and move on. Life's too short to keep working with a gun you don't like.

Why be frustrated I just hand my guns over to my gunsmith and he makes them go like I want them to. Call him Glenn Nyenhuis seven08-452-1315 He is very expert with the XD line. Also for what it is worth Springfield only really does the higher end 1911 in the states they pretty much do everything else by importing a Croatian gun in the XD or having it machined in

Brazil.

Not knocking their products just telling you where they make them. For what it is worth as well my XD with this kit and glenn's work has a perfect carry trigger at 5 lbs crisp break and a nice short reset to shoot fast off of. He can get them down to about 2 for competition with that kit. It is far and away the best striker fire trigger of any of my striker fire guns.

My XDs is perfectly reliable and the trigger feels fine to me. It is certainly not a target pistol trigger feel but it always goes bang and makes a hole where I point it.

The only issue I have is if I point two thumbs forward I cause the slide catch not to function properly on an empty magazine. My sasquatch hands are to blame for that.

+1, other than for having sasquatch hands. Mine are dainty like a princess.

I just got the trigger kit and sear in the mail . Now have to find someone / gunsmith to put it in

Check Youtube. I've seen disassembly videos for the XDS. it doesn't look that difficult. (I've just, myself, not yet needed to attempt it.)

First a company like Springfield ships this out to Croatia to be made needs a recall on the pistol has such an inconsistent trigger / quality control They are not known for striker fired pistols and maybe should have delayed the roll out of these until they had more time to work on the triggers Mine is an early model i got it right after the XDS came out the 9mm was not even developed yet I bet people with the better triggers have later production guns Another question the parts used in the recall how many manufacturers were used Any of the parts in this gun MIM (metal injection molded ) Glock uses some of these today and i replace them Just throwing out some food for though and discussion Some observations on my striker fired pistols The best trigger out of the box Walther PPQ M2 next with 3.5 pound connectors and NY-1 Trigger Springs added my Glocks extremely consistent the worst XDS The best non striker automatic pistol Springfield 1911 TRP .45 ACP a joy to shoot Second Sig Sauer 226 Elite 9mm all the internal bells and whistles from the sig custom shop Revolvers all Smith & Wesson from the Performance shop so i know a decent good and excellent trigger

You don't like the gun? Sell it and move on. Life's too short to keep working with a gun you don't like.

That is just it , i have other guns , but i liked this one before the recall and yes everyone there are fixes , selling , spring / sear kit , gunsmith , lots of trigger time but this is becoming like microsoft . Lets just throw out a product and figure out a fix or let the buyer figure out one . The car industry does it , some say Glock did it with the 43 and now Springfield . This is my point about products , what ever happened to making them right and putting them out that way from the get go . Can anyone say Apple Air Pod ?

So what are you expectations? I have not had a out of the box gun meet my requirements for a good trigger in all of the guns I own. Some of them are better then others some of them only required a minor change to meet these expectations. Dont get me wrong I am not defending this practice I am just talking to it. Also I have not found that any drop in trigger with no modification has met my needs as well. So do not be surprised if you buy the powder river trigger and it is not perfect without farther work. This has been my experience with every gun I have from the 600 dollar ones to the 2700 dollar guns.

If you want to fix this get the trigger and have a good gunsmith install it and you will have the best possible trigger on a striker fire gun I have felt to date. Or you could install it yourself and get a decent trigger. Or you could just sell the gun and get one you like better. Any of these options is available to you.

I find it strange other striker fired pistols like Walther to name one has a much better trigger . I am not looking for perfection as that is in the eye of the beholder but a terrible completely inconsistent one i would expect from a second rate manufacturer . Do you expect a Smith and Wesson trigger to feel like a Taurus or Rossi ? Just saying , and why should you have to change all kinds of parts , go to a gunsmith for a decent trigger , that is consistent . Put in a 3.5 pound connector in most Glocks and you have a decent constant trigger out of the box as with most M & P 's . However it is what it is and i don't like changing too much regarding triggers , at least Glock you can use oem springs .

So please dont feel that I am attacking you in any of these posts that is not the point at all. I think the smith an wesson quality control is for the dogs personally. They used to make a superior product back in the day now not so much. I have seen performance center guns with misaligned barrels, cylinders that needed to be re-honed, timing issues and trigger problems. I have seen glocks with trigger breaks all over the place in terms of weight. I have tried the walthers and while better then most out of the box guns I would still change the trigger. The VP9's have an ok trigger.

This is what I mean about expectations. None of these meet my personal expectations. As far as changing trigger parts I get you. I even agree that the Glock is about the easiest to correct.to something that comes in about ok with OEM parts. Having said this it is about how you change the trigger geometry. If you change it far away from stock you get different results at different times. A very good smith knows this and knows what they can and cant do. Some smiths take short cuts to get a lessor weight but do not take care of the geometry when they modify the fire controls. This tends to end up as a weak or long reset and a not crisp break but light trigger weight. This kit has been put in a lot of competition guns that get thousands of rounds It has held up very good and the geometry of the fire controls has been modified properly in my opinion.

Sorry if I came off as confrontational that is not my intent I was just trying to share information. I invite you to the range at some point and I will show you what I am talking about. I think this would clear up any misunderstandings. If in the end you dont agree that is good as one size does not fit all in terms of what people like in guns.

So please dont feel that I am attacking you in any of these posts that is not the point at all. I think the smith an wesson quality control is for the dogs personally. They used to make a superior product back in the day now not so much. I have seen performance center guns with misaligned barrels, cylinders that needed to be re-honed, timing issues and trigger problems. I have seen glocks with trigger breaks all over the place in terms of weight. I have tried the walthers and while better then most out of the box guns I would still change the trigger. The VP9's have an ok trigger.

This is what I mean about expectations. None of these meet my personal expectations. As far as changing trigger parts I get you. I even agree that the Glock is about the easiest to correct.to something that comes in about ok with OEM parts. Having said this it is about how you change the trigger geometry. If you change it far away from stock you get different results at different times. A very good smith knows this and knows what they can and cant do. Some smiths take short cuts to get a lessor weight but do not take care of the geometry when they modify the fire controls. This tends to end up as a weak or long reset and a not crisp break but light trigger weight. This kit has been put in a lot of competition guns that get thousands of rounds It has held up very good and the geometry of the fire controls has been modified properly in my opinion.

Sorry if I came off as confrontational that is not my intent I was just trying to share information. I invite you to the range at some point and I will show you what I am talking about. I think this would clear up any misunderstandings. If in the end you dont agree that is good as one size does not fit all in terms of what people like in guns

Well said. A decent consistent trigger is all i look for , the rest is up to me as a shooter . I also don't expect a weapon designed to be used for concealed carry to be a tack driver at distance . Weapons , like fine wine or bourbon are plenty and the favorites are truly in the eye of the individual . The banter and ideas /knowledge shared along with the passion for owning , customizing and shooting weapons on this site is tremendous and will never be known to those gun haters . Thank you for your input , keep it coming .

Today i had a shock a total one . I decided to knock out the pin and remove the safety plunger and shell extractor . The amount of gritty gunk i removed blew me away , including some copper between the extractor and frame . This was so easy and went back together the same . It seems the slide operates smoother as i loaded and ejected 50 snap caps effortlessly . This is promising and i need to get this off to a gunsmith in a couple months then back to the ISRA range for a run through when this weather breaks early spring .

• 3 months later...

Ok just did a though cleaning of my XDS oiled and did 100 dry fires . They trigger is quite mushy . I then did 100 tests with my lyman trigger pull electronic gauge and it is all over the place 7.11 to 8.50 and no two in a row the same . i have 7 striker fired pistols and have never had readings with that much of a range , usually if i do 3 checks 2 will be the same and the one that is off is very close .

I bought a Wheeler trigger pull gauge that reads 8 oz to 8 lb. I did many pulls and found it to be all over the place.Some pulls were well over 8 lbs. The guage bottomed out before the trigger tripped. The lowest weight I saw was 7lb 10 oz

I ended up just getting the spring kit for $18.00 and got the gun back today. The springs made a world of difference in this gun. According to my trigger guage the trigger now breaks at an average of 6 lb - 4 oz.. I am happy with this weight trigger for a carry gun.

I still have the spring kit and sear , not installed yet . I really don't want to carry a gun that may have a light primer strike . I really don't like changing out OEM internals especially springs . Recently got a Glock 30 S so that might be the .45 carry .

I still have the spring kit and sear , not installed yet . I really don't want to carry a gun that may have a light primer strike . I really don't like changing out OEM internals especially springs . Recently got a Glock 30 S so that might be the .45 carry .

Put the spring kit in and test with the brands you would carry. should be simple enough. I am not going to carry mine till I know it is problem free.

I was in the same camp. New OOB, it was not the best trigger that I'd ever worked with, but it was far from the worst. After coming home from the family reunion? Mushy and gritty doesn't begin to describe it. I finally DX'ed it and grabbed a Walther PPS mod 2. Fits me much better all the way around, and I'm much happier with it.

As someone said upthread, life is too short.

Bri

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I keep coming back and reading the new responses in this thread, wondering if I should look into the kit...

I don't know if I got lucky, or if it's just that I never had a pre-recall model to compare it to, but I've never had a problem with my post-recall XDs trigger​. I mean, it's no 1911, but I have fired a lot of guns that were worse...

Archived