FOID address and name change over 30 days

We had recently bought a second home in April and officially moved in in June. While going through all of the bank/bills/credit cards/insurance address changes, i realized that my wife had not done an address change on her FOID. Let alone a name change (we have been married for 5 years), whoops.

She previously had obtained a FOID card when we first met, due to my request to do so when we moved in together. (She doesn't personally own any firearms currently)

Fast forward to my discovery of her FOID card as I was packing up the safe with her previous name and address on it. She went online on 10/20/16 and applied on the ISP website for a name and address change. But as of 12/3/16 it says that it is "under review". When you check the validity on the ISP site for transfer, it says that it is "NOT FOUND". She hasn't called yet to inquire about the card, but I had seen on the FOID inquiry email page in BOLD letters.
"Effective January 1st, 2013, FOID card holders must reapply for a new FOID card within 21 days of an address change and within 30 days of a name change."

Is she going to be in trouble? Or has anyone seen an address and name change this long? She has finally came around and wanted to learn to shoot/handle for her own protection.

Thanks!

Great news indeed

47 days is about the avg now while they are backlogged.

Just my way of reading other posts.

Taking into account they have 30 to approve, they took 17 days to process/print/mail and get it home.

Now take her out for a new handgun for Christmas!

That's the plan. So far she likes the Mod 2.0 from Springfield.

• 4 weeks later...

Submitted change of address on 11/11/2016, as of today it still says "Under Review" and "QC_VERIFIED" when I inspect the element. Called two weeks ago, they said "Give it another week or so". Called today the rep stated "We've been so busy processing all types of applications, there is no statutory limit on address changes, so these have been taking a little longer".

In my humble opinion I took this to mean "Because we are not REQUIRED to process your address change within any time-frame, you're just going to have to wait".

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure new FOID apps, Address Changes, Renewals, etc, all state 30 day processing (even though that's rarely, if ever, met).

I have a few issues with this...

1. I can not purchase a new Firearm..... Infringement?

2. I can't really run the risk of even legally transporting any current Firearms, say to go to the range, as if I'm stopped, and for whatever reason searched, the officer(s) may not consider my current FOID card valid as it's address conflicts with my drivers license. (I might be stretching the scenario a bit, but it's not impossible)

Anyway, hope this helps anyone currently going through an address change, just know ISP is essentially putting our apps on the back-burner.

If I were to do a name or address change, or even a renewal, I would print up the confirmation and carry it with me any time I was carrying or transporting firearms. Just sayin'.

If I were to do a name or address change, or even a renewal, I would print up the confirmation and carry it with me any time I was carrying or transporting firearms. Just sayin'.

Very good call on that!

I'm currently renting firearms from the range as I've been trying to decide on what I would like to buy as an everyday carry after getting my CCW Permit. So no plans on transporting anything currently, just frustrating to know that my address change is sitting around collecting electronic dust!

Submitted change of address on 11/11/2016, as of today it still says "Under Review" and "QC_VERIFIED" when I inspect the element. Called two weeks ago, they said "Give it another week or so". Called today the rep stated "We've been so busy processing all types of applications, there is no statutory limit on address changes, so these have been taking a little longer".

In my humble opinion I took this to mean "Because we are not REQUIRED to process your address change within any time-frame, you're just going to have to wait".

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure new FOID apps, Address Changes, Renewals, etc, all state 30 day processing (even though that's rarely, if ever, met).

2. I can't really run the risk of even legally transporting any current Firearms, say to go to the range, as if I'm stopped, and for whatever reason searched, the officer(s) may not consider my current FOID card valid as it's address conflicts with my drivers license. (I might be stretching the scenario a bit, but it's not impossible)

Anyway, hope this helps anyone currently going through an address change, just know ISP is essentially putting our apps on the back-burner.

Correct, there is a 30 day time limit. But they tack on the "printing and shipping" as additional time. When they were emailed to inquire on a Friday (if I remember correctly), that following monday it went "ACTIVE". She then received the email stating it would be 10-20 additional days. It arrived 3 days later in the mailbox.

But also, NO you would not be able to purchase a firearm without matching ID/FOID addresses. (was even worse for my wife due to her name also being different).

I had also heard that some had issues with purchasing ammo as well. But heard that some were okay.

We were informed that you would be "OK" with owning the firearms that you already have during the address change. But the whole thing seemed very sketchy to be honest.

I'm not sure if they are just understaffed, or what. But they implemented this ridiculous policy of a paper ID that affords you your constitutional right. They should budget plan to handle the staffing needed for FOID/CCLs. It's not like FOID is something new.

Good point, I've also heard that you should carry your FOID that hasn't been updated with you at all times until they provide your new one. I guess that goes without saying, but good note for others!

Edited by cturboaddict

Correct, there is a 30 day time limit. But they tack on the "printing and shipping" as additional time. When they were emailed to inquire on a Friday (if I remember correctly), that following monday it went "ACTIVE". She then received the email stating it would be 10-20 additional days. It arrived 3 days later in the mailbox.

But also, NO you would not be able to purchase a firearm without matching ID/FOID addresses. (was even worse for my wife due to her name also being different).

I had also heard that some had issues with purchasing ammo as well. But heard that some were okay.

We were informed that you would be "OK" with owning the firearms that you already have during the address change. But the whole thing seemed very sketchy to be honest.

I'm not sure if they are just understaffed, or what. But they implemented this ridiculous policy of a paper ID that affords you your constitutional right. They should budget plan to handle the staffing needed for FOID/CCLs. It's not like FOID is something new.

Good point, I've also heard that you should carry your FOID that hasn't been updated with you at all times until they provide your new one. I guess that goes without saying, but good note for others!

Cops do not care what address is on your FOID card if you're pulled over. Until your new card with an updated address is active, your "old" card is still valid.

Also, there's no requirement that your FOID card's address match your ID for purchasing guns or ammo. Keep in mind, the requirement to obtain a new card with an address change is only a few years old (used to be able to change address online and not receive a new card unless you wanted one). The address on my FOID card has been out of date for years.

Edited by Glock23

MollyB has stated more than once that the old foid is still valid until the new one gets into your hands iirc.

Plus when buying ammo,who shows their drivers pic for id? Show the foid and be on your way.

It's been what it is for years, they have 30 days to either approve or deny a foid, not have it in your hand. Never was stated that way.

Add to the fact people are upset with changes or applying in the two months cluttered with the most holidays included and you'd think no one gets time off for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years.

Subtract only sundays and holidays in these two months and you have 12 days of non processing days yes?

• 2 weeks later...

For anybody that is changing their address due to receiving a E-911 address you need to call the firearms bureau and let them know. They are suspending the $75 charge for the FCCL and only charging $5 plus credit card processing fee for a total of $6. The down side is it suspends your carry until the supervisor can sign off on the process. Because the system will show payment pending on FCCL until the supervisor signs off taking you back to active.

For anybody that is changing their address due to receiving a E-911 address you need to call the firearms bureau and let them know. They are suspending the $75 charge for the FCCL and only charging $5 plus credit card processing fee for a total of $6. The down side is it suspends your carry until the supervisor can sign off on the process. Because the system will show payment pending on FCCL until the supervisor signs off taking you back to active.

I tried calling for three days and just gave up. Cannot win in this state.

I tried calling for three days and just gave up. Cannot win in this state.

Don't share this secret with anyone, please. It seems that if you press "0" as soon as you get the recording, you go to the message that says they will connect you shortly rather than the message telling you they are busy and you should call back later. Wait time varies. Only 2 minutes this morning to speak to the lovely woman who answered all of my questions.

Please be polite and appreciative. These folks are short staffed and doing the best they are allowed and able to do.

Don't share this secret with anyone, please. It seems that if you press "0" as soon as you get the recording, you go to the message that says they will connect you shortly rather than the message telling you they are busy and you should call back later. Wait time varies. Only 2 minutes this morning to speak to the lovely woman who answered all of my questions.

Please be polite and appreciative. These folks are short staffed and doing the best they are allowed and able to do.

Your secret is safe with me! :)