Interaction with LEO After Traffic Accident

quackersmacker

Was involved in a traffic accident in a NW suburb today. Sore, but no serious injuries, though car probably totaled. Other driver ok too. Fire dept and PD showed up, and I had a Ruger LCP in the center console.

Gave the officer my driver's license, insurance card, and CCL. He asked me if I had a firearm either on me or in the car. I told him where the LCP was, and he said, "Well, your car's gonna get towed away, so you'd be smart to secure that on your person."

Just to be precise about it, I said, "Now, Sir?" He said, "Sure, no problem." And with that he turned and went over about 30 feet away to speak with the other driver. I retrieved the gun, put it in my coat pocket, and that....was that!

No big deal. We have come a long way. Thanks to the mods and all on this forum for all your efforts in getting us to the point where these interactions can be mainstream and go just like this one did.

What suburb might I ask?

I'd rather not say, just in case the officer was in any way operating at or beyond the edge of his town's official policy on interactions like this. I doubt that's the case, but you never know who might not find such an interaction to be commendable.

Yeah glad you're OK. Just another reason to keep the firearm on you. I always keep mine on me. My wife doesn't have a CCL but she does have a FOID so another reason why it is not a good idea to separate yourself from your firearm. If you would've been injured and taken to the hospital and had no chance to retrieve your firearm it might've been in the car being towed. If it was on you the paramedics or the police would have taken custody of it.

Yeah glad you're OK. Just another reason to keep the firearm on you. I always keep mine on me. My wife doesn't have a CCL but she does have a FOID so another reason why it is not a good idea to separate yourself from your firearm. If you would've been injured and taken to the hospital and had no chance to retrieve your firearm it might've been in the car being towed. If it was on you the paramedics or the police would have taken custody of it.

Very good point. The impact sheered off the front end, and if several feet further back I would have been riding in the meat wagon for sure. My wife and son both have FOID only, so I'm always moving that gun in and out the car. In hindsight, as you pointed out, not a very good practice.

Glad youre ok as well.

I personally dont carry my firearm on me because its uncomfortable when driving (IWB appendix carry), but I keep it nearby. Perhaps there may be injury from the weapon itself if I was involved in an accident? Perhaps it would freak the emt's/paramedics out? I think that personal injury from the accident/firearm trumps the cost of a weapon (worst case scenario). I will take my chances.

Very good point. The impact sheered off the front end, and if several feet further back I would have been riding in the meat wagon for sure. My wife and son both have FOID only, so I'm always moving that gun in and out the car. In hindsight, as you pointed out, not a very good practice.

Would it be a solution to keep a suitable case in the car, so your family member(s) could FOID carry out of the vehicle?

I have a lockable safe in my truck for those rare occasions when I have to enter a building that is posted. In case of an accident a family member could use it to FOID carry my firearm away.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c217/telman2/Shooting%20Stuff/IMG_0903.jpg

Glad to hear. Thanks for sharing the story!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Glad youre ok as well.

I personally dont carry my firearm on me because its uncomfortable when driving (IWB appendix carry), but I keep it nearby. Perhaps there may be injury from the weapon itself if I was involved in an accident? Perhaps it would freak the emt's/paramedics out? I think that personal injury from the accident/firearm trumps the cost of a weapon (worst case scenario). I will take my chances.

I'm too fat for appendix carry.

I've imagined that if I was skinny... That is just not where I want a loaded gun pointing!

A 4:00-4:30 position is comfy for me, even driving, and I find it to be pretty easy to get it in and out of my holster while in the driver seat. I don't plan on having an accident and figure I will deal with my scary gun freaking out an EMT should it ever happen. If I am carrying, I want full control.

• 2 weeks later...

This caught my eye as a few weeks ago I was involved in an accident (uninsured minor motorist not paying attention pulls out into the side of my car as I'm driving past him, 0% fault assigned to me) while carrying using my Galco Miami Classic II (horizontal shoulder rig, by far most comfortable method of carry while driving). Called the police, city PD shows up, asks for DLs, not one word about my FCCL or question if I'm armed but his checks took about three times as long as a usual 27/28 but he had to write multiple citations. I guess I shouldn't be surprised as I also have an FFL, courtesy letter on file with the local CLEO. Meh, $5k in body damage, cars in the shop now and I'm suing the kid's mom (who the car has been titled to) for my deductible. Yay for litigation.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Archived