My FOID card was Denied. What do I do now?

I was saying that in the event they deny my foid for good, at that point it's 200 bucks I can't get back. I just hope I can get this straightened out.

Ah I see your concern. I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as you answered truthfully to all the questions and have a clean record. Probably just a screw up somewhere in the process.

They told me it was against their protocol to tell me and that I had to wait until I received the paper in the mail and it would have the things I would need to do to appeal.

Seems that their info would be correct.

In most cases, "In Illinois" how would they be able to tell who you are over the phone?

I'm sure they weren't being malicious

And with the info they told you above, I'd wait till you receive that letter, read it and attempt to follow the appeals process.

Not to sound or be rude, but we can't change the situation here, and if they've said get the letter and then move forward, you're just going to drive yourself crazy trying to get more answers.

I'll go out on that limb and say your a great guy, I'll take your word, and it's just a glitch, hang in there 99% of these things seem to work out in a short time!

They told me it was against their protocol to tell me and that I had to wait until I received the paper in the mail and it would have the things I would need to do to appeal.

Seems that their info would be correct.

In most cases, "In Illinois" how would they be able to tell who you are over the phone?

I'm sure they weren't being malicious

And with the info they told you above, I'd wait till you receive that letter, read it and attempt to follow the appeals process.

Not to sound or be rude, but we can't change the situation here, and if they've said get the letter and then move forward, you're just going to drive yourself crazy trying to get more answers.

I'll go out on that limb and say your a great guy, I'll take your word, and it's just a glitch, hang in there 99% of these things seem to work out in a short time!Thanks

Thanks!!! I will keep everyone posted

Ill go out on that limb and say your a great guy, I'll take your word, and it's just a glitch, hang in there 99% of these things seem to work out in a short time!

It seems that they have a lot of glitches, probably due to user error. I have a co-worker who applied for his FOID back in July and still hasn't received it yet. They sent him a letter in Sept stating that his "name didn't exist".

What I'm guessing is that they thought his name didn't match his driver's license. He verified that what he entered was correct and it did indeed match and re-submitted on the Web site. Then in October they sent him a denial letter, still stating that they had no record of him and he was denied. He tried to call them multiple times, but every time there was just a recording stating that all lines were busy and to try again later. There was no way to leave a message either.

He was about to consult with a lawyer to bring a lawsuit against the state for denial of rights. I told him he should just keep trying to call them in the meantime. Finally two days ago he got through and was able to speak to someone.

It turns out that some dimwit over at wherever they process and check the FOID applications was mistyping his name, more than once apparently.

He got it straightened out and is now approved, but still does not have his FOID. When it's all said and done, it will be about 5 months that he had to wait.

Really, the entire FOID act needs to be repealed. Not only because it's unconstitutional, but it seems that IL can't seem to handle the process correctly anyway.

@Bitter Clinger

Really, the entire FOID act needs to be repealed. Not only because it's unconstitutional, but it seems that IL can't seem to handle the process correctly anyway.

Not to side track the topic but if it's unconstitutional and has been in exsistence for 45 years, IIRC, why hasn't someone or some Pro2 orginazation filed suit by now?

@Bitter Clinger

Not to side track the topic but if it's unconstitutional and has been in exsistence for 45 years, IIRC, why hasn't someone or some Pro2 orginazation filed suit by now?

My first thought was money but I doubt they're making much on a 10yr/10$ license. More likely it's just become too ingrained in IL law and the antis would have a field day with claims that "felons can now buy guns" as if they have a FOID in the first place.

@Bitter Clinger

I've always wondered the same thing. My guess is that nobody bothers to challenge it because this state is so corrupt, the lawsuit would go nowhere. Either that or it's like Cerus said above. It's just been around too long and has become accepted "that's just the way things are" even though it's unlawful.

@Bitter Clinger

It's something that needs to be done legislatively - that would be difficult at this point in time.

Always been curious as to these rulings and the Illinois FOID card and any CCL-

"No state may convert a secured liberty into a privilege, and issue a license and fee for it." MURDOCK v. PENNSYLVANIA, 319 U.S. 105 and "If the state does convert a right into a privilege and issue a license and charge a fee for it, you can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity." SHUTTLESWORTH V. BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA, 373 U.S. 262