Which AR

lostspring

Slickguns listed one for $439 this morning.

I suspect the prices will be coming down as the retailers, distributors, and manufacturers were prepared to capitalize on a Clinton victory.

Clearly it was low end, but not a bad way to dip your toe into the AR world.

Exactly, it might be best to wait and you could pick up something pretty nice for what the low end prices are right now.

How much were the Colt LE's going for 6 months ago? They're now $900-1000 bucks.

My concept was to get an "optics ready" flat top version. It may have a cheap stock and handguard, but that's OK of you plan to dump them anyway. Then you add quality stuff as you go. Get good buis, good sling, good optic, and better furniture when you find them on sale. I'd probably avoid any missing the forward assist and dust cover.

Hi,

I just bought a complete upper & lower(not put together) from Arms Unlimited for $754.00 It is a Colt M-4 model! I popped both retaining pins and put the 2 together and a Colt M-4 is borned. If this is too high, PSA used to ship to Illinois. They made good parts kits, but alas were bitten by the "Politician Bug", so no shipping to Illinois. Sportsman Guide, Cheaper than Dirt, Brownell's all sell AR's. Look for sales NOW the Trump won, we'll probably have a glut in stock fairly soon. Old Hillary threatened and made everyone leery about repealing the 2nd. so everyone was picking them up. Don't go way cheap, stick with Colt(if you can afford it), Armalite, Stag, or Rock River.

jkrzos

Lots of good suggestions so far. I will just add the option of picking out a complete lower and complete upper from Palmetto State Armory. Right now their variety is not as good as it normally is thanks to the election, but there are still plenty of good options, and it gives you a little more in the way of "customizing" specifically what is wanted.

Lowers

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15-05/lowers/complete-lowers.html

Uppers

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies.html?dir=asc&order=price

Just avoid the PTAC brand. The Freedom and Premium lines are good, and the Premium line actually has barrels made by FN. My current upper has one of the nitrided Freedom barrels and it is impressively accurate, so far moreso than the Premium upper it replaced. For your dollar, they're hard to beat.

Here's my current setup. When you add everything up, it cost me $570 when you count in the backup sights (but not the scope) for the basic setup, and that is with a free float rail. I've spent much more than that in adding the scope, a BCM stock, a Geissele trigger, and a BCM charging handle among other minor tweaks, but all of those are not at all necessary for a basic first AR. BTW, ignore the light and bipod, just put them on there to show my father-in-law what could be mounted, it doesn't wear either of them regularly, haha.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n302/BigBL87/Mobile%20Uploads/20160914_183007_zpstqwuqv4d.jpg

Salad days are ahead...

Back in 2007 when I was getting interested in 3 gun conpetitions, I assembled my own lower. The stripped lower was a Stag. At that time, as far as lowers go, you had a choice: a deer, a coiled snake, or a leaping panther.

IIRC, that stripped lower was $121 out the door.

Then I couldn't find the barrel I wanted: 18 inch, stainless, fluted, threaded.

So I bought a semi-complete upper at a gunshow. A 20 inch stainless, thread, NOT fluted, but still threaded. No charging hsndle, no BCG. I paid $450 out the door. I had a BCG at home already. I bought a charging handle there at the show.

So it boggles my mind that people are able to buy or build a complete AR for right around $500.

Last year, when Wally World was clearancing out their AR's, a Colt 6920 could be had for as low as $550.

Palmetto still shipped to IL as of 2 weeks ago.

I highly suggest getting an upgraded trigger.

Even just the $30 polished trigger from PSA is a huge improvement over stock.

A few of us stocked up when PSA was running their blemished Magpul MOE w/polished trigger lowers for $169 delivered to your FFL of choice.

Uppers sent straight to the house.

I haven't seen that good of deals from them in the last few weeks, but they normally have great black Thursday deals.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

It really is incredible. I definitely got into firearms at the right time! Just got my FOID a little under 4 years ago.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161111/731554333884996e02bbd8d1ab7aac03.jpg

:D It feels like it's been alot longer, I tend to jump headlong into things when they pique my interests. I've gone from learning from my father-in-law to being his (and several other people's) go-to gun guy in that time, haha.

Palmetto still shipped to IL as of 2 weeks ago. I highly suggest getting an upgraded trigger. Even just the $30 polished trigger from PSA is a huge improvement over stock. A few of us stocked up when PSA was running their blemished Magpul MOE w/polished trigger lowers for $169 delivered to your FFL of choice. Uppers sent straight to the house. I haven't seen that good of deals from them in the last few weeks, but they normally have great black Thursday deals. Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

I think as the election panic fades into the past, we'll start seeing better deals again. I imagine their stock got pretty depleted, but based on the uppers that have come back in stock in just the last week I think we'll start to see some good deals again.

If I wasn't going to splurge on a more expensive trigger, PSA or ALG defense would probably be my first choices although if you can get the right deal an RRA 2 stage isn't a huge amount more.

The Ruger AR-556 and the Smith & Wesson M&P Sport 15 are both pretty solid for the price.

That said, you can almost always do better building than buying for a given price point.

We didn't want to build right now so picked up a Ruger AR-556 at a gun show last weekend for $630. Really well pleased so far.

Archived