355 vs Point Blank vs Rinks

VannDaddy

Not looking for a bash session. Just want the skinny on the different choices. I've been to Rinks but not since the range upgrade, and I've been to 355. I haven't been to Point Blank yet. What's everyone think of these ranges?

355- I went on a Saturday afternoon in September, and I waited for about 15 min for the expensive range. The range was clean, the staff friendly, I didn't talk to the RSO. The selection of merchandise was ok. The electronic target setup seemed overly complicated, or maybe I'm getting too old, I could get it to go out to specified distances but the turning option was hard for me to program. Their website states they are Chicago's premiere range, I was underwhelmed. Actually I was disappointed. If that's the best in Chicago, that's a pretty low standard to beat. It's no guntry club for sure.

I'd be happy with an air vent system that works properly.

At Bass Pro, the thing is frequently not working which causes a ton of smoke to build up around the firing line. No doubt it's totally unhealthy.

Bass Pro has a firearms range? Do you have any details on their range? (e.g. which store(s), cost, range length)

At Bass Pro, the thing is frequently not working which causes a ton of smoke to build up around the firing line. No doubt it's totally unhealthy.

Bass Pro has a firearms range? Do you have any details on their range? (e.g. which store(s), cost, range length)

The store in Gurnee Mills has a range. I have not been there since Illinois got CCL, so the system might have changed, when you got in the store you had to stop at the front and have their trigger locks installed on your guns, then when you got in the range they removed them. When you left the reverse happened. The range itself was not bad, they have 5 pistol lanes and 1 rifle. They did take reservations.

The Bass Pro in Gurnee has a firearms range. A bit of googling says that it is a five lane, 25 yard pistol range and a 25 yard rifle "tube".

The Bass Pro in Bolingbrook does NOT have a firearm range.

-Keith.

355 is great, they always make you feel welcome and want you to come back. The Air Filtration is excellent too.

Sorry if this is TMI but whenever I shot at Rinks I'd spend the rest of the night blowing black crud out of my nose.

Have you been to Rinks since they remodeled their range? The first time I was there it was really dark (I needed my own flash light) and the ventilation system was almost nonexistent. A few years ago they updated their ventilation and lighting, it wasn't bad. They just reopened after remodeling the range and I haven't been there yet. I was wondering how it compared.

Saturday I was driving past Point Blank in Hodgkins. It was lit up and lots of cars in the parking lot, so I stopped to check it out. Doors were locked and could only see empty display cases. Didn't see a soul and didn't hear any shooting. Don't know why there were so many cars there but it has to be close to opening.

Bass Pro in Gurnee has a range and I go there occasionally and have been going there since they opened it way back when.

They do have the ridiculous policy of putting trigger locks on all your guns and zip tying your range bag before you leave the "lobby" and enter the store. Then when you get to the range, they unlock them all, but you must go through the procedure in reverse when you leave. They also make you fill out all kinds of disclaimers and other forms before they let you into the range. It's a huge time waster which almost always results in a big back-up at the range desk. This is the main reason I don't go there very often anymore. They actually stopped doing this for about 6 months a while back, but then started again. Not sure why.

The pistol range is 25 yards and they recently re-did the whole thing about a year ago. They do seem to have a problem with the ventilation system and it seems to have something to do with it being on a timer and Daylight Saving Time. In the fall, it comes on an hour too late. Not sure if they ever fixed it.

The rifle tube is awful and should be avoided. It's only 25 yards and EXTREMELY noisy. If you're shooting anything greater than a .22, it's very unpleasant. If you're shooting something like an AR-15, no amount of hearing protection is going to work very well and if you're shooting a .308 or higher, God help you.

They do have a "one trigger pull every 2 second" rule, but the range staff is pretty good and will generally not enforce the rule if they recognize you're an experienced shooter.

355 is great, they always make you feel welcome and want you to come back. The Air Filtration is excellent too.

Sorry if this is TMI but whenever I shot at Rinks I'd spend the rest of the night blowing black crud out of my nose.

Have you been to Rinks since they remodeled their range? The first time I was there it was really dark (I needed my own flash light) and the ventilation system was almost nonexistent. A few years ago they updated their ventilation and lighting, it wasn't bad. They just reopened after remodeling the range and I haven't been there yet. I was wondering how it compared.

I was at Rinks recently, and the new lighting is a big improvement, along with electrically controlled target holders. The ventilation system was changed several months ago, and it actually removes all of the smoke, so no more black boogers.

Unless they added on @ Rinks it would be hard to compare them to 355 or Point Blank. 355 is a great range and the RSO's are very friendly and will help with any question(s). Stopped by the new Point Blank last nite and it looks great. Going to shoot there real soon to see how it stacks up against 355. There is also another new on on 159th called Eagle Sports Range. Nice thing about them is they have a 48 yd. rifle range!!

Saturday I was driving past Point Blank in Hodgkins. It was lit up and lots of cars in the parking lot, so I stopped to check it out. Doors were locked and could only see empty display cases. Didn't see a soul and didn't hear any shooting. Don't know why there were so many cars there but it has to be close to opening.

While picking up my recent purchase in the Mokena store this evening, I wound up chatting with the (future) manager of the Hodgkins store, she said that they hoped to open within a couple of weeks. They are currently waiting for various inspections and approvals.

-Keith.

• 1 month later...

Finally got a chance to take my brand new Springfield Range Officer to Rinks this morning. I hadn't been there in years, even though I live 5 minutes from there.

The shop is the same. The kids are friendly, the old man - well it is still Rinks.

The range is clean, pretty well lit, I didn't notice any particularly strong smell, it seemed to be well ventilated. The temperature was comfortable. They put in an electronic distance control. It worked, nothing fancy. It had presets that went up to 15 yards.

The only thing is that it was loud. Not sure if it was louder than before, but after shooting st 355 and now Point Blank, it is very noticeable. I am not particularly sensitive to it, but it was very noticeable. $15.00 range fee. I didn't ask how long that was for, but I was in for probably about 45 minutes. No obvious range officer.

I have been using 355 lately, and like the lighting and ventilation. Their distance system is a bit complex, and doesn't seem to always work, but it gives you a lot of options. The more expensive one does some cool stuff. The people are mostly friendly there. They have a range officer that is in and out of the range.

I did go to Point Blank in Hodgkins yesterday, which is 5 minutes from my office (which may be a bad thing for me). They have a 1/2 hour lunch special for $9.00. The shop is very modern, lots of very friendly employees, that made a point to engage me. The range is very well set up. One of the quietest I have been to, the distance is a switch that lets you move the target. Nothing fancy. They also don't hang on to your FOID card while you are in the range. That is definitely nice.

I can shoot at any of them, but if I was bringing a first time person, I would take them to Point Blank.

Oh yeah and the gun is awesome. I need to step up my game as I know it out shoots me.

I think rinks doesn't have a time limit. I know people don't like having a range officer around but I've been muzzled way too much at rinks that it causes me to not wanna go to the range.

I agree, particularly with the trend of having the partitions that block you from seeing the other shooters. They seem like they give a false sense of security. I doubt they are too thick. Now we still get muzzled but are wonderfully oblivious.

I definitely am in the prefer they are there camp.

Thank you for the info! I was under the impression the fee at Rinks was for the as long as you wanted, I recall paying for my wife and myself and we shot for as long as we felt like it, but we weren't forced out or paying more then the $20 ($10 per person was the price).

It definitely used to be that way, just forgot to ask if that is the still the case while I was there.

I was kind of distracted by all of the handwritten signs around the entrance and register. At least one said you had to show your CCL upon entering if you carry in the store. I was chuckling as it is so fitting for the place.

Yeah but I think we were talking about the signs as you walk in and at the register!

But once again I could be wrong, but this line sounds line when entering the "store", but it could be the range!

I was kind of distracted by all of the handwritten signs around the entrance and register. At least one said you had to show your CCL upon entering if you carry in the store I was chuckling as it is so fitting for the place.

Do they want your life's history to use the range or just sign in and pay? Same if you need to buy one extra target?

That Eagle in Oak Forest want's all your info, BS! Just let me sign in and pay cash and go shoot just like at Rinks,Chuck's or (gag) midwest!

Nice facility but stupid operations, can't buy an extra target without giving your info again? I bet their computers aren't hack proof so now some scum can get all your history.

Yeah but I think we were talking about the signs as you walk in and at the register!

But once again I could be wrong, but this line sounds line when entering the "store", but it could be the range!I was kind of distracted by all of the handwritten signs around the entrance and register. At least one said you had to show your CCL upon entering if you carry in the store I was chuckling as it is so fitting for the place.

They had a lot of hand written signs, and I kind of forget which one was where. Some were duplicated. I am pretty sure the one about showing the CCL was on the front door (it may have also been near the register as well). I probably should have taken a picture, but there was also a sign that said no cell phones or cameras allowed. As I said there were a lot of signs.

Have shot at all 3 within the last year. 355 is the most pricey and the most technologically advanced. Point Blank is great and has become my favorite so far. Rinks............well they used to be the only game in town. Having looked down the business end of a barrel of the person in the lane next to me, freezing certain parts of my carcass, blowing nose and having pure black come out.............I will stick with Point Blank or 355. There is no comparison in the amenities between the 3 of them. There is also a new range called Eagle Sports Range on 159th. Stopped in there a couple times to poke around and it also looks very nice.

Forget the old Rink's range. This summer they had Carey's Small Arms Range Ventilation do a new air system. Plus, I understand they had other major work done as well.

It is indeed state of the art- Carey's is the 900 pound gorilla in range ventilation in the upper Midwest.

In fact, it's exactly the same system as GAT's, Range at 355's, RKA's, and others. (And, now, Oak Park Sportsmens Club, on which I just this morning got final inspections done for the Carey's system and our other upgrades.)

A modern airhandler system (that is properly maintained) is so far advanced from the old blower systems it's hard to describe them as being in the same category.

Midwest is getting the upstairs range done, too, I understand, but I have no direct knowledge of that.

Without dissing other systems, I can say, after having worked with Carey's on our OPSC range over these last some months, if the air system label says "Carey's", it's probably as good as you can get.

Archived