OPEN CARRY ON PRIVATE PROPERTY IN CHICAGO?

KENDLLB360

Hi fellow gun lovers and enthusiast it has been some time since my last visit, but I am back to seek more of your valuable knowledge. I recently purchased a new M&P 40. (I love it)...and would like to know the city of Chicago laws in regards to open carry in chicago. I live in a bad area and many shootings occur from the gangs around. I would like to be able to enjoy sitting in my front porch and loving the weather on my days off work, but don't want to be In fear of being shot at or my wife being shot at and my protection is upstairs on the 2nd floor. My neighbors and landlord are fine with my firearm. But I'd like to know that if police arrive, I know my rights to stand up Asa responsible gun owner and protect my rights to defend my own home and family without the need of police officers arriving after the crime has been committed already. So pls pls give me some advice guys and gals. Thanks again.

Well the officers around me don't like to talk normally. They are more fond of just jumping out and telling you get on the hood and spread your legs. But I will give it a shot one day. When I talk to them on the phone they tell me to call another person, then never answer. And most officers in the streets tell me they don't know anything. You know how that goes

Another plus, when gangbangers drive by, they'll eventually see you open carrying.

They'll want your handgun, maybe have the paperwork filled out in advance, you will be their target.

+1

I would not advertise the fact that I'm carrying, you're opening yourself up to all sorts of unwanted attention.

Not that big of a deal to cover it up.

Well the officers around me don't like to talk normally. They are more fond of just jumping out and telling you get on the hood and spread your legs. But I will give it a shot one day. When I talk to them on the phone they tell me to call another person, then never answer. And most officers in the streets tell me they don't know anything. You know how that goes

I wonder if that's because no one's bothered to just shoot the breeze with them, so everything they do is a reaction to something.

Getting to know the police in your neighborhood is a good thing. Recognition builds trust and respect - for each other.

Remember, too, if you're on your own property it doesn't have to be carried openly.

Wait......too late someone posted about my reply first.......

Did you get your CCL yet?

Last chat was about gun violence in Illinois and the 2nd amendment!

Prior to that was the 30 day letters from the review board, yes?

If I remember correctly, it was a very heated discussion at that.

So I'm going to step out and guess you already know what you will do or already do in Chicago simply based on previous posts.

I'm going to add, having a negative attitude about law enforcement will beget a negative in most cases.

Last, if your bil is sitting with you, know that it will get more interesting if the PD does stop by! Just saying.

Good Luck Again with your decision.

Get it in writing about your landlord being ok with it!

He owns and is control of the property.

Check your lease also.

Another plus, when gangbangers drive by, they'll eventually see you open carrying.

They'll want your handgun, maybe have the paperwork filled out in advance, you will be their target.

Good Luck

Assumption not based on facts.

Besides, we all know if Kendll is the intended target then the 3 year old across the street or some other unintended target will be hit. So Kendll is safe unless the 3 year old is the actual target.

AS Said above talk to the local cops

If it were me I would take 2 dozen donuts to the station and ask the Desk Cop whom would best address your question

Also as said above I highly suggest you do not open carry . I truly think that is asking for Trouble . BAD BAD IDEA in my opinion

If you don't mind us asking, what neighborhood do you live in that is considered "bad"?

My personal advise, Conceal it. As others have said if this is a bad neighborhood you will draw unwanted attention from your local troublemakers and find your house ransacked when you come home one day.

Aside from that the police will respond to a person with a gun call under the premise you are a potential offender. While the law will keep you from being arrested it may not prevent you from being stopped, detained and disarmed until the responding officers determine you are lawfully carrying on your property.

As said before. Concealing will minimize these risks

Check your lease also.

Good Luck

None of the LLs business. A rented home is still your home. Any landlord dumb enough to try would rightly deserve the thrashing they would receive in court.

I would certainly conceal carry on your property, even a full-size pistol like your M&P if that's what you like. Once again I question the logic behind open carry.

In case of an active shooter: you are the first one to take out.

In case of common criminals and would-be criminals: They now know you have guns. If you have 1 gun on you, you probably have more in the house. You made yourself a burglary target.

Can you use the back yard? That would be the best way to enjoy the outdoors at home in any neighborhood in/near chicago. I wouldn't want to sit on the front porch in the ghetto even with a minigun. Even then, I wouldn't be able to relax because it wouldn't be long before you'd find yourself swimming in brass.

minigun

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f0d_1409553876

Check your lease also.

Good Luck

None of the LLs business. A rented home is still your home. Any landlord dumb enough to try would rightly deserve the thrashing they would receive in court.

Had the opportunity to sit in on a round table style discussion Friday and this very subject was brought up.

Seems that the owner is still in charge unless specifically spelled out in a rent/lease agreement.

Further, if something were to happen, the insurer wouldn't have to payout if there was no direct line of such an agreement in place.

All but 1, out of 7 were in agreement on the property "Owner" needing to hand over this permission.

That being said, we were talking about business type situations, atf, il law, and insurance/lawyer responses.

Renting is NOT owning, it's a contract with the "Owner" and a tennent.

Most times when we talk about these issues, we assume that people have purchased the property and therefore have ownership!

Open carrying in this situation listed by the OP, would be best not done,many the "Owner" of the property should be contacted.

It's very easy to add into a rent/lease agreement the authorizing of firearms on the premises, yes?

But again, we talked about a business establishment and the renter being able to secure insurance if the "Owner" didn't sign off!

Just another 0.02

Hi fellow gun lovers and enthusiast it has been some time since my last visit, but I am back to seek more of your valuable knowledge. I recently purchased a new M&P 40. (I love it)...and would like to know the city of Chicago laws in regards to open carry in chicago. I live in a bad area and many shootings occur from the gangs around. I would like to be able to enjoy sitting in my front porch and loving the weather on my days off work, but don't want to be In fear of being shot at or my wife being shot at and my protection is upstairs on the 2nd floor. My neighbors and landlord are fine with my firearm. But I'd like to know that if police arrive, I know my rights to stand up Asa responsible gun owner and protect my rights to defend my own home and family without the need of police officers arriving after the crime has been committed already. So pls pls give me some advice guys and gals. Thanks again.

I think wanting to sit on your porch without the fear of violence is a different subject entirely. You would have the same chances with or without a fire arm. Are you going to get a carry license? That would solve your carry dilema at least.

Other than that. Move.

Check your lease also.

Good Luck

Had the opportunity to sit in on a round table style discussion Friday and this very subject was brought up.

Seems that the owner is still in charge unless specifically spelled out in a rent/lease agreement.

Further, if something were to happen, the insurer wouldn't have to payout if there was no direct line of such an agreement in place.

All but 1, out of 7 were in agreement on the property "Owner" needing to hand over this permission.

That being said, we were talking about business type situations, atf, il law, and insurance/lawyer responses.

Most times when we talk about these issues, we assume that people have purchased the property and therefore have ownership!

Open carrying in this situation listed by the OP, would be best not done,many the "Owner" of the property should be contacted.

It's very easy to add into a rent/lease agreement the authorizing of firearms on the premises, yes?

But again, we talked about a business establishment and the renter being able to secure insurance if the "Owner" didn't sign off!

Just another 0.02

The only place that "ownership" is mentioned is the FCCA. Possessing a firearm is not regulated by the FCCA within your own home, and is specifically excepted in 720 ILCS 24-1(a )4.

(4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed

on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:

A rented property is both an abode and a legal dwelling.

Also, I have never found a properly adjudicated case where a malicious act by a third party was ever the responsibility of the insurer or the insured.

Just another 0.02

You shouldn't continue to take insurance advice from the people who told you those things.

I'm not taking advice, just discusing.

It's what peeps do, get others ideas and dwell on them.

Just happens to be in here at same time.

Tkroenlien......he doesn't have a CCL, so it's not about the FCCA, he's not carrying concealed.

I'm assuming just a FOID at this time from info of previous posts!

Then we agree.

Archived