Ankle carry?

Wild Bill

For ankle carry I use Telor Tactical. They are not inexpensive but they have been well worth the money and very comfortable. I was hesitant at first because they use something a little different but basically they started as a medical device company and now offer some holsters. Not my preferred method of carry but I did just buy one for my XDs and you don't even know you have it. Like sirfly said, you do need to make sure your pants are able to clear it because it does take more room than one would think.

For ankle carry I use Telor Tactical. They are not inexpensive but they have been well worth the money and very comfortable. I was hesitant at first because they use something a little different but basically they started as a medical device company and now offer some holsters. Not my preferred method of carry but I did just buy one for my XDs and you don't even know you have it. Like sirfly said, you do need to make sure your pants are able to clear it because it does take more room than one would think.

Exactly what and where I was thinking of carrying, as a "backup". My (current) EDC is a G27 ("sub compact" glock .40), also have a G30S ("sub compact" glock .45) for the same potential purpose, even considering getting G22 & G21 ("full frame" glock .40 and .45) - any of which I'll carry (OWB) around the waist. I've been thinking about getting the XDs .45, and carrying it in an ankle holster - but have primarily stayed back from it and set it on the back burner for multiple reasons. The first of which, financial. The second of which (actually two reasons here) is because I've never even fired an XDs .45, and I've never carried anything in an ankle holster...

So I must ask, specifically, how is carrying an XDs in an ankle holster? :) (I'm not too worried about how it actually shoots [the .45] because my little g27 is snappy as ****!) I am just interested in the "general" - "how does it carry" :D

Exactly what and where I was thinking of carrying, as a "backup". My (current) EDC is a G27 ("sub compact" glock .40), also have a G30S ("sub compact" glock .45) for the same potential purpose, even considering getting G22 & G21 ("full frame" glock .40 and .45) - any of which I'll carry (OWB) around the waist. I've been thinking about getting the XDs .45, and carrying it in an ankle holster - but have primarily stayed back from it and set it on the back burner for multiple reasons. The first of which, financial. The second of which (actually two reasons here) is because I've never even fired an XDs .45, and I've never carried anything in an ankle holster...

So I must ask, specifically, how is carrying an XDs in an ankle holster? :) (I'm not too worried about how it actually shoots [the .45] because my little g27 is snappy as ****!) I am just interested in the "general" - "how does it carry" :D

It doesn't bother me at all carrying it on my ankle. The XDs seems to disappear where ever I carry it though. I took a couple of pics and will see if I can get them on here tomorrow although one makes it look a little awkward.

I am not a big fan at all ankle carry for the reason if you are at a gas station pumping gas and one or two armed thugs come and try to rob you there is no way you will be able to reach down and grab your gun without causing attention and getting shot. At least with a pocket holster or waistband holster you can pull your gun out a lot faster with not as much movement.

I may be able to help with part of your question - I have a XDs 45 and it shoots like a much larger gun, probably not as bad as your thinking it would be. IMO a Ruger LC9 is much snappier and not as comfortable. I added a Pierce grip extension and it makes a big difference - or you could just use the extended mag, but I needed a bit more grip to hang on to. I'm sure it shoots well due in part to the weight of an XDs 45. They are compact, they are not light. You can get used to anything I suppose, but my initial thought - never ankle carried before - would be the weight of any gun will be felt on your ankle. The lighter the better for comfort. But I'm not speaking from experience.

I am not a big fan at all ankle carry for the reason if you are at a gas station pumping gas and one or two armed thugs come and try to rob you there is no way you will be able to reach down and grab your gun without causing attention and getting shot. At least with a pocket holster or waistband holster you can pull your gun out a lot faster with not as much movement.

Agree, but as they say, "better to have something than nothing" and some situations (as identified in that Sig video) may dictate this being your only option.

Ankle holsters are great, but only as a BUG. I have a crossbreed and practiced draws from the holster and it's way too slow if you need it in a hurry.

Example:

You're throwing out your trash in the alley, and someone walks up with a knife out and they're getting close to that 21 foot distance. You won't be able to draw from an ankle holster quick enough to get rounds on him before he gets within stabbing distance.

Change the above scenario to a gun. Will you be able to move off the X and draw at the same time? More than likely you'd be shot before you even get your pant leg up.

There are numerous scenarios that we can all come up with but the end result will probably be the same when it comes to ankle holsters. What if your pants get caught on the holster and gun?

Ankle holster work well for specific applications, but they're not all that great for your main carry gun. Just something to consider.

Ankle carry is slow when you're standing.
But in an automobile, especially a small one, it may be the fastest thing aside from a shoulder holster for a right-hander.

I like Miatas. But trying to get the Commander out to daylight in that thing while belted in is hopeless. Yet, I can get my Colt Cobra out of the ankle holster and shoot in about two seconds or so- I tried it on the club range, shooting out the window.
At a desk, too, it might not be too slow, either.
The limitations are serious- ducking down and cutting off your departure speed is one, and being limited to teeny low-power guns is another. Yet, there are times.
And for a backup gun, it's the gold standard. My preference is for the Galco Ankle Glove. I had a Telor but after about a year of intermittent use the foam pad seemed to lose its padding ability and the Cobra began to dig into the ankle bone. Hasn't happened with the Galco yet.
I tend to like to wear khakis and similar kinds of pants. When I was a carpenter, Oshkosh used to make some tan chinos or whatever you call them that were so superior to wearing jeans- plus, I looked like a boss- that I pretty much never wore jeans. Ankle holsters are best with such kinds of trousers.
It's just another answer.

BShawn, I cant get pics on but if you would like them send me a PM with your email and I will shoot them over to you.

cherryriver, Interesting about the foam coming apart. I don't wear mine much but so far so good. I will check out the Galco if I have a problem. I really only wear it if there isn't a good option other than that.

3ddiver, it didn't come apart, it sacked- became softer and less able to hold its shape. Then the cylinder could get at the ankle bone to gnaw on it.
Given that Telor insisted their padding wouldn't do that, I was surprised. And I didn't even wear it all that much.
Of course, my insistence on the larger Colt doesn't help. A Smith J would probably be less of an issue. For the record, the Colt weighs 20.5oz loaded and the J about 17oz loaded. (Who cares what an empty carry gun weighs?)

Archived