CCL Target Hits

yyyz

My daughter and I are going to the range tomorrow and while she isn't ready to get a CCL license, she wants to see if she could qualify for the 30 rounds with 21 hits. I also want to see if I can do it with my bodyguard .380.

When I got my license, a hit was a hit if it hit the target. I believe that it has been more refined since then - what are the latest rules.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

To clarify, it always should have been anywhere in the silhouette, but ISP communicated that it was anywhere inside the scoring rings, then dragged their feet on correcting this for over a year. They sent out a communication to all instructors a few months ago clarifying that it is anywhere in the silhouette.

Thanks. Another question... is there a sequence that has to be followed? or can she do 7 yards followed by 10 yards followed by 5 yards?

Doesn't matter. I warm my students up at 10 yds with an 8.5" X 11" piece of paper or a paper plate, then do the qualification at 10, 7, and 5 yds. It just keeps getting easier! I count, mark, and record the hits after each string of 10 shots at each distance.

Any reason you want to start at 7 yds?

Thanks. Another question... is there a sequence that has to be followed? or can she do 7 yards followed by 10 yards followed by 5 yards?

Doesn't matter. I warm my students up at 10 yds with an 8.5" X 11" piece of paper or a paper plate, then do the qualification at 10, 7, and 5 yds. It just keeps getting easier! I count, mark, and record the hits after each string of 10 shots at each distance.

Only because that is where she usually shoots when we go to the range. I merely thought it may be better to start where she is comfortable, but I also like your idea of the smaller target at the 10 yard mark. She just made the switch from a Ruger 22/45 to my 1911 (in picture) and she will be using the 1911 for the shoot.

If she ever got to a point where she actually wanted to get her CCL, she would have to move away from the 1911 to something a little smaller - she stands all of about 5 feet and maybe 105 lbs. She teaches inner city here is Chicago and I liek the idea of her feeling comfortable with a handgun.

Only because that is where she usually shoots when we go to the range. I merely thought it may be better to start where she is comfortable, but I also like your idea of the smaller target at the 10 yard mark. She just made the switch from a Ruger 22/45 to my 1911 (in picture) and she will be using the 1911 for the shoot.

If she ever got to a point where she actually wanted to get her CCL, she would have to move away from the 1911 to something a little smaller - she stands all of about 5 feet and maybe 105 lbs. She teaches inner city here is Chicago and I liek the idea of her feeling comfortable with a handgun.

Keep in mind, when you do the actual qualification shoot, you're likely to be at the mercy of your instructor's rules.

My instructor started at 5 and worked out from there. His logic was that if you hit all 10 shots at both 5 and 7 yards, you only needed to connect with one round at 10 yards to pass.

Keep in mind, when you do the actual qualification shoot, you're likely to be at the mercy of your instructor's rules.

My instructor started at 5 and worked out from there. His logic was that if you hit all 10 shots at both 5 and 7 yards, you only needed to connect with one round at 10 yards to pass.

It is all good. :) I use the littler target at 10 yds to warm up so that the students can concentrate on trigger press, grip, sight alignment/picture, etc. Then, when I switch to the B-27 target, it is like they are shooting at an elephant! I try to make the qualification a good learning/training experience.

There are lots of ways to go about the thing.

I usually have my students shoot on 9" paper plates at 5-7 yards to work on fundamentals and make adjustments to shooting position, and have them work focus on group size. Then I run their B-27s at 5 yards, then 7, then 10. Much the same logic as Glock23 described above. If they can clean up at 5 and 7, then they only need one hit at 10. Does a lot to boost confidence and keep the experience positive.

Nothing in the law states anything about the order. In theory, you could alternate every shot between 5, 7, and 10, as long as in the end, the student has shot 10 at 5, 10 at 7, and 10 at 10.

I think most blind people could pass the shooting requirements...

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone not passing the shooting.

The instructor I had, said to the class if anyone takes a head shot he would fail them...

I made a happy face center chest, he told me with a grin on his face, I was a smart a##

Not sure where your instructor got that notion from. Even using the erroneous information circulated by ISP about shots counting only inside the scoring rings, 21 shots in the scoring rings and 9 head shots would be a passing score. Only reason I can think of is if he was concerned about students missing high and taking out the target carrier.

I have had people not pass the qualification. However they have all passed on the 2nd try.

I think most blind people could pass the shooting requirements... I don't think I've ever heard of anyone not passing the shooting.
Ready? My Mother-in-law failed. Yea, Thanksgiving dinner was a little awkward that year. Actually my partner failed her when I wasn't there (thank God). She actually passed on her second try with a more manageable gun. The .38 snub nose my father-in-law gave her was just too much.Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I think most blind people could pass the shooting requirements...

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone not passing the shooting.

The instructor I had, said to the class if anyone takes a head shot he would fail them...

I made a happy face center chest, he told me with a grin on his face, I was a smart a##

When I shot mine back in April, the instructor took all of the targets and folded them so the head portion wasn't visible. He also required the shots to be inside the 7 ring to be considered hits.

Head shots on some of the indoor ranges put the baffles at risk of being hit by stray rounds. Folding the head portion down reduces that risk. Besides, aren't we teaching our students to shoot "center mass"?

Folding the heads back on the targets to prevent damage to the range is one thing. Following the (incorrect) rules provided by ISP to instructors is another. Leaving the heads visible on the targets and telling the students that if they take a head shot ​they will be failed? That's going to a whole new level!

Head shots on some of the indoor ranges put the baffles at risk of being hit by stray rounds. Folding the head portion down reduces that risk. Besides, aren't we teaching our students to shoot "center mass"?

I agree, Also at some ranges, low hits bounce off the floor. I got in the habit of folding the head after the first class I did at Gats. If you didn't fold the head the targets drag on the floor.

My daughter and I are going to the range tomorrow and while she isn't ready to get a CCL license, she wants to see if she could qualify for the 30 rounds with 21 hits. I also want to see if I can do it with my bodyguard .380.

When I got my license, a hit was a hit if it hit the target. I believe that it has been more refined since then - what are the latest rules.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

We had a fun day at the range this morning - daughter did well - got 27 out of 30 and I got 29 (missed the first shot at 10 yds) out of 30 with my Bodyguard .380. Thanks for all of the information above that everyone posted.

I feel like I cheated. I was going to use my Glock 26, but I decided to use my Glock 17.

Granted I feel like the G26 is just as accurate. I ended up carving out the bullseye/10 ring.

The distances used are kinda ridiculous. As long as you practice at 30 feet, the qualification will be a breeze.

During practice/warm up try to use the smallest target possible at 30 feet. It really helps once you start the actual qualification.

Of all the things to go to the mat with the ISP over, this one seems like the most petty and ridiculous. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who couldn't put 21/30 into the 7 ring from a seated benchrest position with anything resembling a reasonable handgun. And if they couldn't, they probably shouldn't be carrying. Yet this was seemingly the focus of reform of ISP's regulations.

I feel like I cheated. I was going to use my Glock 26, but I decided to use my Glock 17.

Granted I feel like the G26 is just as accurate. I ended up carving out the bullseye/10 ring.

The distances used are kinda ridiculous. As long as you practice at 30 feet, the qualification will be a breeze.

During practice/warm up try to use the smallest target possible at 30 feet. It really helps once you start the actual qualification.

I used a Czech MilSurp vz82 (9mm Makarov) to shoot mine. Was tempted to use the Broomhandle Mauser (C96), but I'm not confident that the rifling in the barrel is actually doing its job stabilizing the bullets.

I usually have my students shoot on 9" paper plates at 5-7 yards to work on fundamentals and make adjustments to shooting position, and have them work focus on group size. Then I run their B-27s at 5 yards, then 7, then 10. Much the same logic as Glock23 described above. If they can clean up at 5 and 7, then they only need one hit at 10. Does a lot to boost confidence and keep the experience positive.

Nothing in the law states anything about the order. In theory, you could alternate every shot between 5, 7, and 10, as long as in the end, the student has shot 10 at 5, 10 at 7, and 10 at 10.

This was what my instructor did. But my buddy and I plugged the plates so he put up a 6 bullseye target and moved us all the way back. Then we had to put 1 in each in different sequences 3 times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back when I took the shooting portion of the class, I wasn't as good of a shot as I am now. And technically I'm still pretty far off of what is consider a good shot, but that target is so big that I could've shot my LCP and still easily qualified lol

It's not big. Nor is it small. It is just right. It's about the size your attacker will be.

Fight how you train so train how you fight ;)

A hit is anywhere in the black portion of the target.

My instructor said they had to be within the seven ring, and that was only 6 months ago.

It has been less than 6 months since I SPOKE sent the communication to all of us revising the scoring guidelines to the (correct) guidance of anywhere on the silhouette, not just the scoring rings.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Archived