Carrying at a protest?

DoktorPaimon

These recent protests made me wonder, would it be legal to carry at a protest? I absolutely agree that it would be foolish, but can we be banned from exercising one constitutional right because we are exercising another?

Is the protest posted? If not.....

Prohibited area 10 is

Any public gathering or special event conducted
on property open to the public that requires the issuance of a permit from the unit of local government, provided this prohibition shall not apply to a licensee who must walk through a public gathering in order to access his or her residence, place of business, or vehicle.

Makes me wonder if an organized protest that pulled a permit would count.

Why would it be foolish to carry at a protest if it's legal?

Something tells me that carrying a weapon around CPD at a BLM protest is a very good way to get yourself a ride, legal or not.

So let me get this straight...

When a bunch of paid 'protesters' shut down a highway and I happen to pull up on it...I should disarm?

If attacked...I should never consider the option defending myself?

ETA:

Or...someplace I just happen to be passing through?

Do I have to consult the facetwitbook junk to determine where I may 'not freely travel'?

(I dont have facetwitbook accounts.. I dont do the sewer that is 'social media'....While I'm an IT techno geek, I live in the real world.)

Something tells me that carrying a weapon around CPD at a BLM protest is a very good way to get yourself a ride, legal or not.

I guess if you're going to break windows,block traffic and cause trouble,then yeah leave your weapon at home.But if you're peacefully protesting I don't see a problem.Concealed means concealed.Post # 5 above sums it up for me too.

I guess if you're going to break windows,block traffic and cause trouble,then yeah leave your weapon at home.But if you're peacefully protesting I don't see a problem.Concealed means concealed.Post # 5 above sums it up for me too.

Fair enough. I still think its an interesting question and one we ought to get hammered out at some point because its going to come up in the future. If someone pulls a permit for, say, a march at IGOLD, would we be prohibited from carrying during the march?

Peaceable assembly and protest are bedrock principles of our republic, it would be appalling if we were stripped of our right to carry while engaging in other rights just because someone followed the law and applied for a permit.

The answer is...if the protest has a permit AND you're a participant...you may not carry. However...if it does not have a permit, you're cool. Also, if you just happen upon a protest, you're also legal to carry. You are allowed to carry "through" permitted events while conducting your life's business.

You may be armed while you walk through a permitted block party or neighborhood festival on your way to work or the store or your home or wherever.

The answer is...if the protest has a permit AND you're a participant...you may not carry. However...if it does not have a permit, you're cool. Also, if you just happen upon a protest, you're also legal to carry. You are allowed to carry "through" permitted events while conducting your life's business.

You may be armed while you walk through a permitted block party or neighborhood festival on your way to work or the store or your home or wherever.

This would be my take as well.

(I dont have facetwitbook accounts.. I dont do the sewer that is 'social media'....While I'm an IT techno geek, I live in the real world.)

Wouldn't this forum be considered social media?

This and is a Forum the real world or cyberspace?

Nope...

It doesnt track me...sell my information...force feed 'news of the day' under the guise of popularity when its actually pushing liberal POVs....

Shall I go on? :)

Here? I can express a conservative's view and not get gang messaged by morons, 'tards, idiots, social justice losers, liberals and progressives..but I repeat myself.

Nor....do I have the urge to publish what I had for lunch, my mood, or tell the world about the deal I got on tube socks.

Nope...

It doesnt track me...sell my information...force feed 'news of the day' under the guise of popularity when its actually pushing liberal POVs....

Shall I go on? :)

Here? I can express a conservative's view and not get gang messaged by morons, 'tards, idiots, social justice losers, liberals and progressives..but I repeat myself.

Nor....do I have the urge to publish what I had for lunch, my mood, or tell the world about the deal I got on tube socks.

Tell me about that deal on tube socks !

Nope...It doesnt track me...sell my information...force feed 'news of the day' under the guise of popularity when its actually pushing liberal POVs....Shall I go on? :)
This are characteristics of some social media platforms - but not defining characteristics of all.By most definitions, old school BBS systems were the first social media platform. Modern forum software certainly is as well.

^this, unless they fail to lawfully post the locations prohibited status, otherwise, you will have no way of knowing if it falls under a special event where a permit was issued. Unless you waisted your time to actually investigate and know the facts. Then you know the answer.

Archived