Can I buy a rifle out of state in MN? Or am I not able to as an IL resident?

armadroid

Illinois law allows long gun purchases only in "contiguous states", the states that share a border with Illinois. You can buy and take delivery of a long gun in Indiana, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Missouri, & Iowa. But, you will still have to wait 24 hours before you pick it up.

I believe this is the correct answer although I know of people buying rifles in non-bordering states. I think this is a law unique to Illinois.

Personally, I'd follow the laws of the state you are buying it in (I am sure the seller will be well versed in that and council you) , then being a free citizen who can travel without "show me your papers" I'd come home and mind my own business as I wish more would do.

Given that the local antis regularly watch this forum, it's probably not the wisest choice to advocate breaking the law.

You are correct - go internet lawyer, go!

Personally, I'd follow the laws of the state you are buying it in (I am sure the seller will be well versed in that and council you) , then being a free citizen who can travel without "show me your papers" I'd come home and mind my own business as I wish more would do.

Given that the local antis regularly watch this forum, it's probably not the wisest choice to advocate breaking the law.

Best to follow the law, however I have always wondered how IL law can govern what you do in another jurisdiction? As long as you don't break any laws in the jurisdiction you are in at the time, how does IL enforce it's law in that jurisdiction? This would be like committing an IL traffic offense in a state where that infraction is allowed, and then getting a ticket when you come back to IL.

It is always best to follow the bullcrud laws on the internet.

Best to follow the law, however I have always wondered how IL law can govern what you do in another jurisdiction? As long as you don't break any laws in the jurisdiction you are in at the time, how does IL enforce it's law in that jurisdiction? This would be like committing an IL traffic offense in a state where that infraction is allowed, and then getting a ticket when you come back to IL.

It is always best to follow the bullcrud laws on the internet.

I agree! My question was more on legal theory and how one state can make law(s) that govern what you can do in another state?

BATF says laws of each state must be followed

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(B)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Here's the law, this topic is covered in the first paragraph.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=043000650K3a

That does not state that an IL resident cannot buy a rifle in a non-adjoining state from an FFL. In fact, the last sentence of what you quoted says that "Any transaction under this Section is subject to the provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (18 U.S.C. 922 (B)(3))."

So my advice would be to make sure there's an FFL on the MN side of the trade.

Here's the law, this topic is covered in the first paragraph.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=043000650K3a

That does not state that an IL resident cannot buy a rifle in a non-adjoining state from an FFL. In fact, the last sentence of what you quoted says that "Any transaction under this Section is subject to the provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (18 U.S.C. 922 ( :cool:(3))."

So my advice would be to make sure there's an FFL on the MN side of the trade.

Private party transfers across state lines without the use of an FFL on the buyer's end are prohibited by Federal law. By default, the paragraph cited above is a tacit reference to purchasing a long gun from an FFL holder.

He wasn't talking about private party transfers einstein.

Archived