Chicago gun store update?

Raw Power

So, Chicago's ban on gun stores and shooting ranges has been declared unconstitutional for about four years now I believe. My understanding was that last June there was supposed to be a court case held to determine when, where, and how Chicago gun stores could operate. I've looked just about everywhere and I can't find any update to this case, and the status of what's going on with it. I'm assuming that the case has been continued, but I'm not finding anything explaining what is happening with it.

Does anyone have any information as to the status of the case?

I'm also curious if anyone has any insight as to how current law and ongoing litigation might affect someone with a Class 3 FFL or C&R FFL within the city limits.

Are people able to get guns shipped to them if they are Chicago residents with a C&R or class 3 FFL currently? I realize that a lot of places won't do it due to company policy, but is there currently any legal issue with having firearms shipped to Chicago (for personal use) if you are a properly licensed dealer or collector?

For a class 3 FFL, my (admittedly limited) understanding is that they might be subject to the zoning of any gun store (which I believe is largely unconstitutional, but the courts will have to decide Chicago's answer to the US court of appeals). However, C&R FFL holders should not be subject to these restrictions, as they can not be in the business of selling professionally. Is my understanding correct?

Edited to add:

SAF won this case, now what?

https://www.saf.org/2nd-amendment-legal-action/current-litigation/ezell-v-chicago/

http://www.thegunmag.com/12235-2/

I don't think a gun store will happen here. Yes, the outright ban on gun stores and ranges in the city was tossed out and a new ordinance was written that technically allows them. However, the way it works here is most new businesses (especially ones that require special use permits, like bars, liquor stores, ranges, gun stores etc.) need to get the approval of the alderman representing that ward. Do you know any aldermen here who will sign off on that? Rahm would bury them.

Someone wanted to open a range on the near west side last year. The alderman was ok with it until he found out a gun store was part of the deal. He then said "never".

So as usual, Chicago does the bare minimum to try and avoid being sued. It will need another lawsuit.

There are only store closings around here. More vacant store fronts than occupied ones.

That could spell opportunity.

I think it is because of taxes, regulation, and bs. Who would buy guns and ammo in chicago/cook county when there are special taxs on everything right from the beginning? Who would really want to pay extra?

As far as new business opening up, it's only national chains that get bribed with taxpayer money(tiffs) to come here. Who really wants another Olive Garden or Jimmy John's anyway.

In most cases one doesn't have to go grovel to their alderman first, but there are still 3 votes that must be in ones favor.

- zoning board(business, bldg plans, etc submitted for approval)

- zoning board of appeals(public comments if any)

- full city council vote

One could win the first two and lose at the full council, but most councils follow the recommendations of the two zoning boards.

One could have their plans approved, but the general public is overwhelmingly against it, you usually lose the appeal board vote and it's over.

Some lose right out of the gate during the zoning board vote for a variety of reasons like improper zoning, conditional use not allowed, etc, etc.

Chicago is so corrupt one must show up with an envelope full of cash for these crooks, I mean aldermen.

• 9 months later...

Apparently, the SAF won this case. Just heard about it today...

https://www.saf.org/2nd-amendment-legal-action/current-litigation/ezell-v-chicago/

http://www.thegunmag.com/12235-2/

So are there any pro-gun, or at least marginally less anti-gun aldermen that can be depended upon to move some of this forward? I'd love to see a normalization of gun ownership begin (again) in the city. We've had shooting ranges in city limits within my lifetime (mostly for rimfire, but still). I hope we get back to that point, and then some.

Up until the 70s there was a range at Lane Tech for students, so I have heard.

In the basement of the Student Center (East) at UIC, across from the pool, they had a small rifle range too.

The pool was under the bowling alley??

Just .22lr in bolt action rifles with iron sites firing prone, ammo started at 2 cents a round, later it doubled to 4 cents a round (77-79)

All you needed was a student id.

Never actually saw the Lane Tech Rifle range IN the building's basement, just the signs pointing to the stairs down, in one of the PE rooms.

There are only store closings around here. More vacant store fronts than occupied ones.

That could spell opportunity.

I think it is because of taxes, regulation, and bs. Who would buy guns and ammo in chicago/cook county when there are special taxs on everything right from the beginning? Who would really want to pay extra?

As far as new business opening up, it's only national chains that get bribed with taxpayer money(tiffs) to come here. Who really wants another Olive Garden or Jimmy John's anyway.

I sort of had that thought regarding point blank. But they seem to be offering sales and stuff to make up for it. Also you can buy your gun online and pick it up at their store; avoiding the tax.

One other way to make up for crook county firearm taxes is throwing in several free range passes.

Archived