A few questions about CCL and FOID

I bought a rifle and went to my FFL today to do the paperwork. When I got there it said my FOID was invalid, so I came home and checked on my CCL status and saw it was active as of 4-21-16 not bad since I applied on 1-15. but now I can't buy firearms? What do I need to do? On the state police site it shows my FOID and CCL active. Also how long until I will see a card or whatever they send out so I can carry.

You can give them your new FOID #, but chances are you'll have to wait till you receive the physical card to receive the rifle. Based on what I've read in the past, "crappy" situation to be stuck in.

I've been waiting 7 days so far, for my CCL to arrive. Went ACTIVE on the 15th. Card arrival times seem to be all over the board, just like the approvals. More so the FOID cards. Some receive their CCL first.

Edited by Molly B.
slipped by the profanity filter

This was a situation that came up after the ISP decided to issue new FOID's along with the FCCL to make the numbers the same. Seems redundant to me, but it's their call. However, it was my understanding that the situation had been resolved. I've passed your thread along to Molly, we'll see what transpires. Thanks for reporting it.

AB

This was a situation that came up after the ISP decided to issue new FOID's along with the FCCL to make the numbers the same. Seems redundant to me, but it's their call. However, it was my understanding that the situation had been resolved. I've passed your thread along to Molly, we'll see what transpires. Thanks for reporting it.

AB

Thank you

My original FOID was 8 digits and issued in early 2014. My new CCL and new FOID numbers are 10 digits. My CCL and FOID showed active on 4-6-16, but I later learned, after I called the ISP on 4-19, that my FOID went active on 4-11. That's a 5 day gap without a valid FOID. I received my CCL on 4-11 and my new FOID card on 4-21. This might explain your problem with the FFL.

The worst part is, it's not a new problem and one that we thought was fixed. But now it pops up again. Not sure if the changes in policy are not getting passed along to all the staff or if something has changed again. Molly is on it so we'll have some answers soon. If the FFL is willing, she/he might run the NICS check using your new FOID or FCCL number to see if it goes through. If the FFL is willing, do a screen shot of the approved FOID and FCCL from the ISP website and take it to the FFL. Maybe they can run I that way.

Just a thought. You still wouldn't have the physical card and technically can't posses or carry without the cards. But would be interesting to see if the BG check goes through.

AB

The worst part is, it's not a new problem and one that we thought was fixed. But now it pops up again. Not sure if the changes in policy are not getting passed along to all the staff or if something has changed again. Molly is on it so we'll have some answers soon. If the FFL is willing, she/he might run the NICS check using your new FOID or FCCL number to see if it goes through. If the FFL is willing, do a screen shot of the approved FOID and FCCL from the ISP website and take it to the FFL. Maybe they can run I that way.

Just a thought. You still wouldn't have the physical card and technically can't posses or carry without the cards. But would be interesting to see if the BG check goes through.

AB

I asked my FFL if I printed a copy of the page I could bring it to him.I have never seen a messed up system and I was in the military. There should be one card for CCL holders that act as the Foid and CCL and a Foid for people who do not have a CCL. it would save the state time and money and be less of a hassle to the people. Also once you go active you should be active and be able to carry, going active and waiting for a card is not active. I will say this, I will not miss these antics once we move to Alabama.

I am confused. I got my CCL when they first came out and still have my old FOID card. The FOID was not replaced and I have bought guns since then with no problem. When did this take place and will they change my FOID?

When the FCCL was first implemented, the FCCL number was your FOID number preceded by the last two numbers of the year the FCCL was issued. I.E. my FOID was 12345678 so my FCCL# became 1412345678, (FCCL issued in 2014). The FOID card was NOT replaced. Then, at some point, the ISP decided they needed to produce and issue twice as many cards, so they began issuing new FOID cards when FCCL cards were issued. Both cards have the exact same number, still based on the pre-existing FOID # (if you had one).

As to d_tierne1's comments and suggestions, I agree. In fact, making the FOID the carry card with a special holographic sticker or some such designation was suggested at least as early as 2008. If you look at the current FCCL law, Section 92 calls for a task force to be implemented by the Governor to determine the feasibility of having one card for both licenses. We're still waiting for that report from the task force. AFAIK, we're still waiting on the task force members to be named. If someone can correct me, please do, I'll stand corrected and applaud!!

Of all the things that need to be improved about our FCCL law, a couple of low hanging fruit seem to be the above issue, moving to one card for both; and the issue of waiting periods for holders of the FCCL. Many folks (yours truly included) have stood, fully armed with multiple magazines on body, filled out the paperwork on a new firearm, and had to walk out and return 24 or 72 hours later to pick up said firearm. Explain the logic behind that!!

But, I can carry everyday, so that's a step up from 2013!!!

AB

Section 92 calls for a task force to be implemented by the Governor to determine the feasibility of having one card for both licenses. We're still waiting for that report from the task force. AFAIK, we're still waiting on the task force members to be named. If someone can correct me, please do, I'll stand corrected and applaud!!
Okay, I'll bite. :)That section was repealed in March 2014.

430 ILCS 66/92) Sec. 92. (Repealed). (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13. Repealed internally, eff. 3-2-14.)
Edited by kwc

Section 92 calls for a task force to be implemented by the Governor to determine the feasibility of having one card for both licenses. We're still waiting for that report from the task force.

AFAIK, we're still waiting on the task force members to be named. If someone can correct me, please do, I'll stand corrected and applaud!!

Okay, I'll bite. :)

That section was repealed in March 2014.

430 ILCS 66/92)

Sec. 92. (Repealed).

(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13. Repealed internally, eff. 3-2-14.)

K, thanks. I need to update the version of 98-63 that I have in dropbox and access from my phone.

There should be one card for CCL holders that act as the Foid and CCL and a Foid for people who do not have a CCL.

We don't want that for a variety of reasons. The current system is the best of the available options, as long as we're still dealing with FOID and CCL.

I agree - either eliminate the FOID completely or stay a two card system. CCL should NOT be used for anything other than to allow CC.

There should be one card for CCL holders that act as the Foid and CCL and a Foid for people who do not have a CCL.

We don't want that for a variety of reasons. The current system is the best of the available options, as long as we're still dealing with FOID and CCL.

I agree - either eliminate the FOID completely or stay a two card system. CCL should NOT be used for anything other than to allow CC.

Actually the current system is the best. CCL is both CCL and FOID, and then a separate FOID card. Carry the CCL card, leave the FOID somewhere safe.

Edited by Gamma

I agree with Tip on getting rid of the FOID. Nearly all states do just fine without one. Why can't we?

But being allowed to leave your FOID card at home and just carry the CCL is the best option while we still have a FOID requirement.

Edited by kwc

Great no ammo, or firearms until the state gets me my new ids. what a **** show.

You can still buy ammo. Just show the card in your possession. Ammo sales only verify the possession of the card, not the status of it (as long as it is not expired) You still have a valid foid.

He's already stated that the card (FOID) came back invalid during a firearms purchase at his FFL.

So knowing this how does he get a pass flashing the " invalid " FOID to purchase ammo?

People should not be offering up illegal advice.

When it comes to what ever rights we have now, why is everyone so fast to bypass the law one time and then lather on about how law abiding we are as a group? !?!?!?

This issue will come to kill us one day, we will have to stand by while a validity test is input to see if the FOID in possession is actually valid or not due to this and other offenses forceing a FOID to become invalid and yet the holder continues to use it to purchase ammo illegally.........

AB

I asked my FFL if I printed a copy of the page I could bring it to him.I have never seen a messed up system and I was in the military. There should be one card for CCL holders that act as the Foid and CCL and a Foid for people who do not have a CCL. it would save the state time and money and be less of a hassle to the people. Also once you go active you should be active and be able to carry, going active and waiting for a card is not active. I will say this, I will not miss these antics once we move to Alabama.

No! There should be NO FOID

Dealer should be able to process once you have your new ccl number as it will be same as the FOID. I have seen it work this way. Good luck.

I have the new numbers but not the cards. I am off last week and this week and wanted to go shoooting. I guess that will not happen since I have to wait for the new cards. I guess I will have time to mod the rifle so I can shoot it next year.