Can you legally carry two concealed firearms with a CCL?

Rmac702

I too was told in my class in January that "a firearm" means 1 firearm. Ask a lawyer, but there is probably a 50% chance he is wrong too until a test case.

Your instructor was wrong, plain and simple. Look at where the information is coming from here. Several of the posters who have stated this in this very thread are in fact instructors. A few of us were actually watching and listening as the bill was debated and past. A few were even directly involved in the process.

I too was told in my class in January that "a firearm" means 1 firearm. Ask a lawyer, but there is probably a 50% chance he is wrong too until a test case.

Your instructor isn't worth a penny if he believes this. Get your money back.

I walked out of the class with less knowledge than I started with. They should have paid me to attend.

Did they make you spread your shots around the B-27 so they could count 30 individual bullet holes as well?

I have no plans to hire an attorney to answer this question. I was hoping some legal minds in the forum could answer the question. Post #3 is reassuring, but I would like to see a link to that failed amendment attempt. In the past, the majority thought the world was flat, so I guess that made them correct at that time.

Do we work for you?!?

If you're unsatisfied with the responses, HIRE AN ATTORNEY!

That's an asinine response.

Why? The question was asked and answered. All we can do is give you our opinions, which are just that: opinions.

Well if you don't understand why that response was asinine, then you won't understand an explanation.

What you don't understand is that it is not our jobs to explain it. We tell you what the law says. We tell you what was stated during the debate prior to passing the law. If that explanation is not good enough for you, then what you are looking for is a legal opinion. Most of us are not lawyers, and cannot give you a legal opinion. Even those of us who are lawyers are not likely to give you a legal opinion here. That is what they do for a job. You can go to their office and pay them to give you one. Or find a different lawyer.

The answer to the question being asked here is not ambiguous at all. There is a lot of poor information being spread around this state by instructors teaching stuff they don't know. Most instructors do NOT fall into this category, but you know what happens with the few bad apples thing. Thus my earlier comment about spreading shots around the B-27 to count individual bullet holes.

You may carry as many concealed handguns as you can conceal. Period. End of story. I personally only carry one 99% of the time. I have carried two on occasion. It was totally legal.

I'm not even sure what the rationale would be for limiting it. A licensed concealed carrier is totally safe when carrying one...an upstanding citizen who passed all the training and background checks and paid his fees.......but is instantly transformed into a murderous maniac if he carries two?

As far as I'm concerned, I'm like the fifth person to give the correct answer on this. Someone please close the thread.

Well if you don't understand why that response was asinine, then you won't understand an explanation.

Well yours is a rather silly and argumentative response.

Play it safe... Carry only one firearm if you like. Illinois law allows you to carry as many as you can conceal. Read all applicable statutes for all states you are allowed to carry in.

No Lawyer is gonna answer legal question on an internet forums board.

That being said, this is a legal question in your mind therefore best to get a reply from a face to face authority.

The varied and personal opinions posted and based on individual results aparently aren't what you are looking for.

As stated already, there is NO law/statute which says you CAN NOT carry are than 1 firearm.

I didn't find an answer running a search, so I'll ask it now. Can you legally carry two firearms with an illinois CCL? This question was asked during our 2014 CCL training class, and both training instructors did not have a definitive answer. The law says you can carry a concealed firearm, but "a" firearm usually means one.

You need to understand a bit of the history behind the bills involved in the FCCA.

On 5/31/2013, HB183 of the 98th General Assembly was passed as amended, by both bodies. This eventually became PA98-0063, the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

On 7/2/2013, Governor Quinn issued an amendatory veto attempting to limit the scope of the law. This veto was overridden in the House on 7/9/2013. The bill was then sent to the Senate for similar action.

On the same day as the veto override vote, Senate President Cullerton filed Senate Amendment 2 on HB1453 of the 98th General Assembly, as a trailer bill to the FCCA, attempting to modify it in many of the same ways the governor hoped to modify it. This was debated just before debate on the override and, during this debate, several anti-carry legislators expressed their support for the measure while adding that they believed it did not go far enough. Among them, though not the only to mention the number of firearms that can be carried, was Senator Lightford who stated:

Thank you, Mr President. I, too, rise in support of the trailer bill, but I would like to acknowledge that I find that it is too restrictive. It's not going far enough for many of us who have challenges in our areas with gunfire. I would have liked for five areas to have been included in this legislation which limit handguns. I think it's unnecessary for an individual to have four, five, six, seven unlimited weapons on them at any time. I believe the magazines should have been lowered to a capacity of ten. Also, I think that employer's property should have also been taken into consideration.

A vote on the trailer bill was taken and, after it failed, debate began on the veto override.

The amendatory veto read, in part:

Limiting Number of Guns and Ammunition

The bill provides no cap on the number of guns or on the size or number of ammunition clips that may be carried. Instead, it allows individuals to legally carry multiple guns with unlimited rounds of ammunition, which is a public safety hazard.

The legislation should clarify that a license will permit an individual to carry one concealed gun and one ammunition clip that can hold no more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

During this portion of debate Senator Collins stated:

But let me just say that I support the Governor's amendatory veto for many reasons that have already been enumerated in reference to alcohol and the carrying of guns, the number of guns, the size of the ammunition clip, that it preempts home rule...

Shortly after, a vote was taken and the veto was overridden, leaving the then new law without limits on the number of firearms.

In other words, the legislature that wrote and passed the law recognized that there are no limits on the number of guns that can be carried. The Governor recognized the same, tried to change it, and failed.

Now, you can argue that this isn't the case until a court says it is, but doing so is the equivalent of saying the legislature creates not law, but a random collection of words with no meaning, waiting to be defined by the Judiciary who will create law as it sees fit.

Our system is simply not designed that way.

Gangrel:

Did they make you spread your shots around the B-27 so they could count 30 individual bullet holes as well?

They did ask me to do that.

No one asked me to spread anything around anywhere, or for that matter to even shoot a B-27 qualification. Look at my sig line. (Hint: approved instructors are exempt from the training requirement.) I was providing Illinois CCW license training before the application process was even known.

I asked that question because any instructor worth his salt knows that you don't have to count bullet holes if the target comes back with a big hole blown through the middle of the X ring. There are far too many instructors running these quals that don't have any idea how to properly score a target.

I didn't find an answer running a search, so I'll ask it now. Can you legally carry two firearms with an illinois CCL? This question was asked during our 2014 CCL training class, and both training instructors did not have a definitive answer. The law says you can carry a concealed firearm, but "a" firearm usually means one.

You need to understand a bit of the history behind the bills involved in the FCCA.

On 5/31/2013, HB183 of the 98th General Assembly was passed as amended, by both bodies. This eventually became PA98-0063, the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

On 7/2/2013, Governor Quinn issued an amendatory veto attempting to limit the scope of the law. This veto was overridden in the House on 7/9/2013. The bill was then sent to the Senate for similar action.

On the same day as the veto override vote, Senate President Cullerton filed Senate Amendment 2 on HB1453 of the 98th General Assembly, as a trailer bill to the FCCA, attempting to modify it in many of the same ways the governor hoped to modify it. This was debated just before debate on the override and, during this debate, several anti-carry legislators expressed their support for the measure while adding that they believed it did not go far enough. Among them, though not the only to mention the number of firearms that can be carried, was Senator Lightford who stated:

Thank you, Mr President. I, too, rise in support of the trailer bill, but I would like to acknowledge that I find that it is too restrictive. It's not going far enough for many of us who have challenges in our areas with gunfire. I would have liked for five areas to have been included in this legislation which limit handguns. I think it's unnecessary for an individual to have four, five, six, seven unlimited weapons on them at any time. I believe the magazines should have been lowered to a capacity of then. Also, I think that employer's property should have also been taken into consideration.

A vote on the trailer bill was taken and, after it failed, debate began on the veto override.

The amendatory veto read, in part:

Limiting Number of Guns and Ammunition

The bill provides no cap on the number of guns or on the size or number of ammunition clips that may be carried. Instead, it allows individuals to legally carry multiple guns with unlimited rounds of ammunition, which is a public safety hazard.

The legislation should clarify that a license will permit an individual to carry one concealed gun and one ammunition clip that can hold no more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

During this portion of debate Senator Collins stated:

But let me just say that I support the Governor's amendatory veto for many reasons that have already been enumerated in reference to alcohol and the carrying of guns, the number of guns, the size of the ammunition clip, that it preempts home rule...

Shortly after, a vote was taken and the veto was overridden, leaving the then new law without limits on the number of firearms.

In other words, the legislature that wrote and passed the law recognized that there are no limits on the number of guns that can be carried. The Governor recognized the same, tried to change it, and failed.

Now, you can argue that this isn't the case until a court says it is, but doing so is the equivalent of saying the legisalture crates not law, but a random collection of words with no meaning, waiting to be defined by the Judiciary who will create law as it sees fit.

Our system is simply not designed that way.

Thank you very much!!!! Your response was exactly what I was looking for, and thanks again for taking the time to research this.

.......Illinois laws are generally permissive; if an action isn't specifically prohibited, it is allowed.......

This ^^^^^^ Laws are not made to allow, they are made to restrict. The FCCA is not there to allow us to carry, it is there to restrict us from carrying except for under certain circumstances (ie. you have a permit) Further more it is there to restrict who is eligible for a permit (ie. those without a FOID are prohibited)

The law does not prohibit carry of multiple weapons because it does not state it.

a great example of this is: a few months ago I decided I wanted to start shooting on my property which is outside of town. so I called up the county police for the area and asked for laws that allow me to do that. he said "as long as you're out of town and your bullets stay on your property you can shoot on your own land." I said yea that's all find and good but where can I see that in law? he said "laws do not give you access they restrict access, if you cant find something specifically stating you can't then you can." I took that to heart and apply it anywhere I can now lol.

a great example of this is: a few months ago I decided I wanted to start shooting on my property which is outside of town. so I called up the county police for the area and asked for laws that allow me to do that. he said "as long as you're out of town and your bullets stay on your property you can shoot on your own land." I said yea that's all find and good but where can I see that in law? he said "laws do not give you access they restrict access, if you cant find something specifically stating you can't then you can." I took that to heart and apply it anywhere I can now lol.

And in reality, the dialogue and progression of the FCCA that mauserme described supports this very construct. The legislators concluded the same thing--there was no language explicitly restricting carry to 1 firearm, so the antis wanted to insert such language.

There are two kinds of societies: those where all is forbidden unless specifically allowed, and those where all is allowed unless specifically forbidden. The United States, Great Britain, Canada, are examples of the "all is allowed" category. The Soviet Union and North Korea are examples of the "all is forbidden" category. Obviously, there are exceptions and gradations within these categories, but in general a society will fall into one or the other.

We should make a new thread that answers this question, with the legal explanation as mauserme has written it out, lock it and make it a sticky.

In other words, delete every reply from this thread with the exception of the OP and Mausers response. In the meantime...

In

Archived