Can you legally carry two concealed firearms with a CCL?

Rmac702

I didn't find an answer running a search, so I'll ask it now. Can you legally carry two firearms with an illinois CCL? This question was asked during our 2014 CCL training class, and both training instructors did not have a definitive answer. The law says you can carry a concealed firearm, but "a" firearm usually means one.

Interesting reads with the search at top of these boards........

Here's just one such thread: http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=58290&hl=%2Bcarry+%2Bhandguns&do=findComment&comment=938791

Thanks for the link, but that doesn't address the legality. Just because several CCL holders are carrying multiple firearms doesn't mean it's legal, or that it won't be challenged by a LEO or DA.

Interesting reads with the search at top of these boards........

Here's just one such thread: http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=58290&hl=%2Bcarry+%2Bhandguns&do=findComment&comment=938791

Thanks for the link, but that doesn't address the legality. Just because several CCL holders are carrying multiple firearms doesn't mean it's legal, or that it won't be challenged by a LEO or DA.

Then re-read post 3. If neither of your instructors knew this, get your money back.

I have no plans to hire an attorney to answer this question. I was hoping some legal minds in the forum could answer the question. Post #3 is reassuring, but I would like to see a link to that failed amendment attempt. In the past, the majority thought the world was flat, so I guess that made them correct at that time.

I have no plans to hire an attorney to answer this question. I was hoping some legal minds in the forum could answer the question. Post #3 is reassuring, but I would like to see a link to that failed amendment attempt. In the past, the majority thought the world was flat, so I guess that made them correct at that time.

You can carry more than 1. This has been covered here several times.

As many as you can hide. Nowhere in the laws from the legislature or the rules from the ISP does it say "only one" or "may not carry multiple firearms". Don't overthink it.

AB

I agree, but it does say " a firearm", not firearms. I guess this hasn't been challenged in court yet, probably just a matter of time as my CCL instructors suggested.

.......Illinois laws are generally permissive; if an action isn't specifically prohibited, it is allowed.......

This ^^^^^^ Laws are not made to allow, they are made to restrict. The FCCA is not there to allow us to carry, it is there to restrict us from carrying except for under certain circumstances (ie. you have a permit) Further more it is there to restrict who is eligible for a permit (ie. those without a FOID are prohibited)

The law does not prohibit carry of multiple weapons because it does not state it.

As many as you can hide. Nowhere in the laws from the legislature or the rules from the ISP does it say "only one" or "may not carry multiple firearms". Don't overthink it.

AB

This. This. This.

AB

I agree, but it does say " a firearm", not firearms. I guess this hasn't been challenged in court yet, probably just a matter of time as my CCL instructors suggested.

I think you are getting down in the weeds here. If the legislative intent was to restrict you to one firearm, that would have been spelled out. They would not have left that up to a word as ambiguous "a" If I recall correctly, that was a major argument of some of the opponents of this bill, that a person would be able to carry 10 guns on them. The bills sponsors agreed, yes it would allow that.

Legislative intent means just as much as the letter of the law.

Do we work for you?!?

If you're unsatisfied with the responses, HIRE AN ATTORNEY!

Do we work for you?!?

If you're unsatisfied with the responses, HIRE AN ATTORNEY!

That's an asinine response.

Oh for cryin' out loud.

BTW, those interested in the history of this topic may want to dredge up Gov. Quinn's amendatory veto of what is now the carry act. In it, he added a provision restricting licensees to a single firearm. Quinn's attempt to add this restriction (and others) was, of course, rejected.

OP you ask a question and people are nice enough and answer it for you the best they can and you don't accept what they have to offer then move on.

I had my classes in October of 2013.

Even back then we were told we could carry as many firearms we wanted.

(I forget the township, but one of the instructors was a LEO)

Humorously, also noted was that 'legally speaking', you could carry your firearm around in an old Mcdonalds paper bag and it would be legally concealed :)

Oh for cryin' out loud.

BTW, those interested in the history of this topic may want to dredge up Gov. Quinn's amendatory veto of what is now the carry act. In it, he added a provision restricting licensees to a single firearm. Quinn's attempt to add this restriction (and others) was, of course, rejected.

...and would not have been attempted if the law already restricted us to one firearm by law.

I too was told in my class in January that "a firearm" means 1 firearm. Ask a lawyer, but there is probably a 50% chance he is wrong too until a test case.

Your instructor isn't worth a penny if he believes this. Get your money back.

I walked out of the class with less knowledge than I started with. They should have paid me to attend.

Archived