Legal person to person firearm transfer

Jsanc

I read about this before, but it's confusing. Do you need to go to the ISP website to enter the FOID number of the buyer and get an OK before making a sale. I know you have to do the 3 day waiting period. Any help with this.

Yes, you certainly do have to get an ok from the ISP website. They will give you an approval number that is valid for 30 days.

I read about this before, but it's confusing. Do you need to go to the ISP website to enter the FOID number of the buyer and get an OK before making a sale. I know you have to do the 3 day waiting period. Any help with this.

Person to Person Firearms Transfer

430 ILCS 65/3(a-10) - Any person who is not a federally licensed firearm dealer and who desires to transfer or sell a firearm or firearms to any person who is not a federally licensed firearm dealer shall, before selling or transferring the firearms, contact the Department of State Police with the transferee's or purchaser's Firearm Owner's Identification Card number to determine the validity of the transferee's or purchaser's Firearm Owner's Identification Card. This subsection shall not be effective until January 1, 2014. The Department of State Police may adopt rules concerning the implementation of this subsection. The Department of State Police shall provide the seller or transferor an approval number if the purchaser's Firearm Owner's Identification Card is valid. Approvals issued by the Department for the purchase of a firearm pursuant to this subsection are valid for 30 days from the date of issue.

It is the law that you must get an approval from the ISP. You need to do it before the transfer takes place but not necessarily before the "sale" takes place. One response said it is optional but the law says it must take place. There is no penalty for not doing it as far as I can see in the law though.

Yes, you certainly do have to get an ok from the ISP website. They will give you an approval number that is valid for 30 days.

This is not correct.

It is not required.

What?..The cops knocking on my door asking why I sold a gun to a felon who just used that gun to murder a family of four has nothing to do with anti's..you don't wanna take 30 seconds of your day to make sure you're doing things legally, be my guest. All I asked was why not do it, not for the anti's, but for your own peace of mind?

No penalty = not required

I takes literally under a minute. Why not do it for a little extra peace of mind and insurance if you ever needed it?

Exactly how the anti's want you to think.

you're wrong please stop giving bad advice

Any resident of Cook County must notify the Cook County Sheriff’s Office, by completion of this form, within 48 hours, when his or her firearm is sold, transferred, inherited or otherwise disposed of, regardless of where the firearm was sold, transferred, inherited or otherwise disposed (Cook County Ord. Sec. 58-190(a)). Any non-resident of Cook County must notify the Cook County Sheriff’s Office, by completion of this form, within 48 hours, when his or her firearm is sold, transferred, inherited or otherwise disposed of within Cook County (Cook County Ord. Sec. 58-190(B)).

http://www.cookcountysheriff.com/pdf/Press/ReportOfLostStolenDestroyedOrTransferredFirearms041014t.pdf

I guess we don't know if it's required or not to check the FOID at the ISP website, but it's a very simple process and helps protect you. I'd do it.

Also, draw up a bill of sale, both sign and each retain a copy. Also helps protect you.

You'll also need the buyers Date of Birth to get an approval number. Once you have that, there's an option to print out the form with FOID#, Approval#, etc. It's a relatively simple process. I thought it was mandatory, so I do it when selling, and almost everyone selling here, mentions the FOID Check as a prerequisite for a sale.

Any resident of Cook County must notify the Cook County Sheriff’s Office, by completion of this form, within 48 hours, when his or her firearm is sold, transferred, inherited or otherwise disposed of, regardless of where the firearm was sold, transferred, inherited or otherwise disposed (Cook County Ord. Sec. 58-190(a)). Any non-resident of Cook County must notify the Cook County Sheriff’s Office, by completion of this form, within 48 hours, when his or her firearm is sold, transferred, inherited or otherwise disposed of within Cook County (Cook County Ord. Sec. 58-190(B)).

http://www.cookcountysheriff.com/pdf/Press/ReportOfLostStolenDestroyedOrTransferredFirearms041014t.pdf

Haven't heard anyone do it.

I guess we don't know if it's required or not to check the FOID at the ISP website, but it's a very simple process and helps protect you. I'd do it.

Also, draw up a bill of sale, both sign and each retain a copy. Also helps protect you.

I see it as voluntary registration.

What's being registered exactly? The only thing you're plugging in is a FOID number and a DOB.

wow, this thread went full retard. lol. why would you not want to just follow the law as written to prevent yourself from losing your ccl/foid or being prosecuted for selling to a felon.

+1

The FOID is a load of crap but I'd rather not lose my rights and sit in jail on my principals. The antis would love that.

Any resident of Cook County must notify the Cook County Sheriff’s Office, by completion of this form, within 48 hours, when his or her firearm is sold, transferred, inherited or otherwise disposed of, regardless of where the firearm was sold, transferred, inherited or otherwise disposed (Cook County Ord. Sec. 58-190(a)). Any non-resident of Cook County must notify the Cook County Sheriff’s Office, by completion of this form, within 48 hours, when his or her firearm is sold, transferred, inherited or otherwise disposed of within Cook County (Cook County Ord. Sec. 58-190( :cool:).

Haven't heard anyone do it.

Yeah, me either. And I didn't do it on the last 2 purchases.

EDIT: NVM, looks like this applies to the seller, not the buyer. If I'm reading this correct? It's too early on a Monday to think lol...

What's being registered exactly? The only thing you're plugging in is a FOID number and a DOB.

Who made the purchase is being registered. As a private sale didn't have to be reported before. That's what Bloomberg and his people tried to do at the federal level too after sandy hook but the NRA said is registration and the Republicans stopped it. BTW it ignores and violates Illinois and federal law against registration and the ISP is keeping records is not supposed to keep.

Who made the purchase is being registered. As a private sale didn't have to be reported before. That's what Bloomberg and his people tried to do at the federal level too after sandy hook but the NRA said is registration and the Republicans stopped it. BTW it ignores and violates Illinois and federal law against registration and the ISP is keeping records is not supposed to keep.

So every time someone on this site runs their own FOID and DOB into the system just to check, they're automatically registering themselves?

I've seen numerous posts on here from members who say that they run their number through it for the heck of it.

They have no way of knowing whether or not a sale went through. I've even run mine through every now and then. I guess in the eyes of the ISP, I own 15 more guns lol.

Archived