New FOID cards?

I received my CCL about two weeks ago in the mail, and today, I received a FOID. It's a new design (compared to the original FOID) that looks more like the CCL card than the old FOID card.

From what I understand, the CCL replaces the FOID and places should accept it, but I still carry both on me. Is there a reason Illinois is mailing a FOID card to me?

You need a FOID to receive a CCL. So why don't you want the FOID card? It hasn't been abolished under current law. Some businesses don't know the law change and still require a FOID for purchases, that should change over time.

There are other threads dealing with FOID and CCL and questions answered here on the ISP site.

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/Faq.aspx

Edited by spec5

To answer the question OP is actually asking (which nobody else even came close to trying to answer): Newer CCL applicants are receiving new FOIDs that have the same unified number on them as well as the new design. Use the new FOID. Shred your old one.

Thanks for the response! Yes, this was my original question, and a subpart to it was the necessity of carrying both the FOID and CCL. I do just because I know some places don't accept the CCL for purchases.

Thanks all for the answers!

To answer the question OP is actually asking (which nobody else even came close to trying to answer): Newer CCL applicants are receiving new FOIDs that have the same unified number on them as well as the new design. Use the new FOID. Shred your old one.

Thanks for the response! Yes, this was my original question, and a subpart to it was the necessity of carrying both the FOID and CCL. I do just because I know some places don't accept the CCL for purchases.

I am glad you got the answer/answers you needed. I saw only one question in your first post and answered as to why is the ISP mailing me a FOID. :)

I thought that new CCL holders were getting new FOIDs with the same number as well, but that is not the case (at least not always the case). I have two students who just received their CCL's and did not get new FOID cards...... I checked the numbers of both the FOID and the CCL of someone who received them just a couple months back and the FOID number is totally different from the CCL number..

Also, the CCL technically means nothing if you happen to be transporting a long gun.

Incorrect. Your CCL can be used in lieu of your FOID when TRANSPORTING any firearm, unloaded and in a case. But you cannot CARRY (not enclosed in a case) a loaded or unloaded rifle with your CCL or your FOID.

If they don't accept the CCL for purchases, it is out of ignorance. The law was changed to allow for the CCL to be used whenever the FOID is used so you do not have to carry both.

This is from 430 ILCS 65/2 (c-5)

The provisions of paragraphs (1) and (2) of subsection ( a) of this Section regarding the possession of firearms and firearm ammunition do not apply to the holder of a valid concealed carry license issued under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act who is in physical possession of the concealed carry license.

Also, the CCL technically means nothing if you happen to be transporting a long gun.

So you are stating that someone who is transporting (or in possession of) a long gun, and currently has on their person only their CCL can be charged with a felony?

I challenge this assertion - what is your basis for this? Feel free to be "technical"

Please clarify as I have stopped carrying my FOID regularly as I was of the understanding that my CCL superseded it now.

It's also provides a way to purchase guns and ammo without revealing that you have a CC weapon on you.

Having a FCCL on one does not mean you have a CC weapon on you. I have my FCCL on me at all times but I never have my CC weapon on me when I go to work since the building where our office is located is posted.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

What is your logic for making this claim? The FOID Act, in Section 2, says this:

Section 2. (a) (1) No person may acquire or possess any firearm, stun gun, or taser within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.

And Section 2 ( c-5 ) refers to the above paragraph with this text:

Section 2. (c-5) The provisions of paragraphs (1) and (2) of subsection (a) of this Section regarding the possession of firearms and firearm ammunition do not apply to the holder of a valid concealed carry license issued under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act who is in physical possession of the concealed carry license.

The FCCL allows you to acquire or possess a firearm (including a long gun) without having the FOID card in your physical possession. There isn't much room for debate.

Edited by kwc

I thought that new CCL holders were getting new FOIDs with the same number as well, but that is not the case (at least not always the case). I have two students who just received their CCL's and did not get new FOID cards...... I checked the numbers of both the FOID and the CCL of someone who received them just a couple months back and the FOID number is totally different from the CCL number..

I noticed that when My CCL went active, my FOID went inactive for a few hours and then became active again with a new number that matched the CCL. The system must be up an running now.

CCL does not replace the FOID, just that you don't have to physically be in possession of the FOID card if you are physically in possession of the CCL.

I just found out that if you want to purchase ammo in IN you still have to have it, aparently they aren't aware of the change. I found this out tonight when I presented my CCL because it was easier to get to in my wallet than my Foid.

What is your logic for making this claim? The FOID Act, in Section 2, says this:

Section 2. (a) (1) No person may acquire or possess any firearm, stun gun, or taser within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.

And Section 2 ( c-5 ) refers to the above paragraph with this text:

Section 2. (c-5) The provisions of paragraphs (1) and (2) of subsection (a) of this Section regarding the possession of firearms and firearm ammunition do not apply to the holder of a valid concealed carry license issued under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act who is in physical possession of the concealed carry license.

The FCCL allows you to acquire or possess a firearm (including a long gun) without having the FOID card in your physical possession. There isn't much room for debate.

BINGO! Clarity. Crystal. Done!

• 2 weeks later...

CCL does not replace the FOID, just that you don't have to physically be in possession of the FOID card if you are physically in possession of the CCL.

I just found out that if you want to purchase ammo in IN you still have to have it, aparently they aren't aware of the change. I found this out tonight when I presented my CCL because it was easier to get to in my wallet than my Foid.

Wait. If you buy ammo in Indiana, and are an Illinois resident, you have to show a FOID?

That makes no sense to me. Only IL even cares about a FOID.

Border states know about the FOID, why would they look forward to getting jacked selling thousands of rounds of ammo to non-FOID carrying gang members?

Makes sense to me

There's several threads here about the use the FOID vs the CCL that has been discussed adnausuem, with each member stating their personal position, and that's the law and the case..........it's YOUR personal decision. YMMV.....JMHO.

I had it out when I bought some ammo in KY. The guy was like is that your military ID. I said no it's my FOID card. I know they don't have one but figured they'd want to see my DL and FOID. It was at a Cabelas so I kinda figured I'd have to. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in the border state of Iowa in Cedar Rapids. I bought some ammo at the Wal-Mart and told him I was from IL. I did not have to show a FOID. Just rang up the sale and I was gone.