Denied a firearm

Just this afternoon i tried to purchase a new glock g30s to find out my foid is no longer valid. Not thinking like an idiot, my status is active as of yesterday, questions is how long should it be til new foid and ccl arrive.

Did you receive and respond to the ISP notice of expiration? The ISP does notify FOID holders when their card is within 90 days of expiration. The FOID does give an expiration date. Once a renewal form is submitted it can take 30 to 90 days to get a new card depending on the ISP backlog of FOID update requests.

Until you get it renewed beware ... the possession of even one bullet, let alone a firearm, by a non valid FOID holder can subject you to firearms charges and arrest. Good luck, renew your FOID, and until you get the renewal, get a trusted FOID holder to store your firearms and ammo, and stay off the radar. Isn't it WONDERFUL that the State of Illinois in the ONLY state to require an FOID, even for god damned bullets, wonderful ;)? Dumb a** law been in effect since 1968.

Edited by K-9

Just this afternoon i tried to purchase a new glock g30s to find out my foid is no longer valid. Not thinking like an idiot, my status is active as of yesterday, questions is how long should it be til new foid and ccl arrive.

Is your CCL valid or don't you have one?

Yea im not to worried about it both are active i just dont have new foid yet...my own stupidity no big deal just went active for ccl yesterday so hoping by monday ill have both cards meanwhile i cant wait to shread this antique foid card haha

Did you receive and respond to the ISP notice of expiration? The ISP does notify FOID holders when their card is within 90 days of expiration. The FOID does give an expiration date. Once a renewal form is submitted it can take 30 to 90 days to get a new card depending on the ISP backlog of FOID update requests.

Until you get it renewed beware ... the possession of even one bullet, let alone a firearm, by a non valid FOID holder can subject you to firearms charges and arrest. Good luck, renew your FOID, and until you get the renewal, get a trusted FOID holder to store your firearms and ammo, and stay off the radar. Isn't it WONDERFUL that the State of Illinois in the ONLY state to require an FOID, even for god damned bullets, wonderful ;)? Dumb a** law been in effect since 1968.

As far as I know, there is a grace period. I don't know how long but you can't be charged within a certain time frame.

Curious Minds, Sorry in advance!

Is he saying a "New FOID" as in he never had one to begin with?

Or is he xpecting a new one along with the just applied for CCL?

The reason I ask is when having a FOID and then applying for a CCL, I didn't think they were processing new FOID's to go along with the CCL.

My self, I had a FOID and then applied when the law allowed us.

I was issued a CCL and the last of the numbers do in fact match my "old" FOID......it's still active/valid!

But they did NOT issue a new FOID to match the CCL, I believe in the past this is why the CCL numbers weren't sequential.

As an example my FOID is: 12345678

My CCL is: 9012345678

Unless they started issuing new cards along with the CCL, I think you keep the old FOID till it expires.

Think.....why would Illinois replace a FOID when they want to charge for a new on even if just for a address change.

But.......I could be wrong, 6 co-workers have the same way I've got, no new card if active/valid before CCL.

Your foid number changes to match your ccl when you apply for the ccl. Then you get both new cards in the mail.

Do you get both cards in the mail at the same time? I got my CCL but have not received my new FOID with my new number. :geek:

Should be two separate envelopes. I don't know why they don't always arrive together.

initially, new foid cards were not re-issued, but I believe they started doing so several months later.

They started issuing new FOID cards with new numbers to match the CCL number. It was 6-12 months after the first CCLs came rolling out, I think.

I thought when issuing a new card with ccl, both foids stayed active for like 30 days to prevent this from happening?

This is what we are told is current policy. . .

That is what the lady told me on the phone when I applied for my CCL and updated FOID. She said I would be legal with my old card but I may have a problem buying a weapon because the address on my old card was incorrect and did not match my new driver's license.

I'm in the same boat. I received my CCL 2 weeks ago. On the online portal my FOID number changed to match my CCL number but I haven't received a new FOID. I'll be giving them a call in another week or two if the FOID doesn't show. I was really hoping to pick up my first glock but I guess I'm waiting... Good luck

Edited by Shooter5635

Good to know on the FOID coming in separately. Thanks.

I'm in the same boat. I received my CCL 2 weeks ago. On the online portal my FOID number changed to match my CCL number but I haven't received a new FOID. I'll be giving them a call in another week or two if the FOID doesn't show. I was really hoping to pick up my first glock but I guess I'm waiting... Good luck

Well, they could run the number on the CCL. At the end of the day it is the same number. Not sure if expiration date or anything like that is required. Just talk to the shop or person you are transferring through.

You can use your CCL in place of your FOID per the new law