Obama considering Nevada Gov Brian Sandoval for SCOTUS nomination

gearsmithy

Everything Obama does is nefarious, if this gov is pro gun obama must have dirt on him.

There is no way he will nominate a judge that wont carry out atleast one of his desires. Look at what he stacked the federal courts with and the 2 on the supreme.

All of a sudden he had a change of heart and is moving to the right?

I heard that the guy was pretty centrist on other views. Look at it this way. If he gets the nomination it will take him out of the Senate race. I heard he was a shoe in to take Reid's seat. Basically, Obama would be trading a senator for a justice. It's a bad trade (for them) but I'll take it

EDIT: Look, Reid is even endorsing the nomination. http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/24/politics/harry-reid-brian-sandoval-supreme-court/

I would be absolutely shocked if this guy gets the nomination.

If the Republicans make good on their promise to block Obama's nomination they kill a chance for one of their own and potentially give the nomination to Sanders/Hillary post election. If the Republicans flip flop on their block they give Sanders/Hillary fodder for the campaign. Either way the Republicans look bad and Obama takes out the biggest contender for Reid's seat, so this isn't totally calculated.

This is just another attempt to embarrass the Republicans before the General election. Republicans just need to stick to their position and hold no hearings until after the election. If Sandoval is the right pick, let the next president nominate him and then hold confirmation hearings. Having a Republican Pro 2A replacement for Harry Reid would be an extremely wonderful thing.

Agree.

Also agree with the comment that Obama isn't doing this to keep the court weighted towards conservatives. He's smarter than that.

This is just another attempt to embarrass the Republicans before the General election. Republicans just need to stick to their position and hold no hearings until after the election. If Sandoval is the right pick, let the next president nominate him and then hold confirmation hearings. Having a Republican Pro 2A replacement for Harry Reid would be an extremely wonderful thing.

I would be absolutely shocked if this guy gets the nomination.

If the Republicans make good on their promise to block Obama's nomination they kill a chance for one of their own and potentially give the nomination to Sanders/Hillary post election. If the Republicans flip flop on their block they give Sanders/Hillary fodder for the campaign. Either way the Republicans look bad and Obama takes out the biggest contender for Reid's seat, so this isn't totally calculated.

I think knee-jerk opposition to someone on our side just because Obama picked him makes us look far worse than accusations of flip-flopping. I really don't see Bernie or Hillary making a flip-flop accusation, those would far more likely come from the GOP side.

I'd take Sandoval in a heartbeat, knowing there are likely 2 liberal judges retiring in the next Presidential term.

Clever, very clever.

Dems playing chess while republicans may be playing checkers.

Yep, if true looks like a strategic move. If the Republican Senate refuses to vote up or down on a nominee they themselves might have chosen they will confirm their reputation as a party of inaction. Then they run the risk of a Democratic win in November and will surely be given a much more liberal cast of nominees to consider.

Obama is scheming. I agree with Sigma, there is some nefarious reason for considering Sandoval.

Maybe replacing a Republic Nevada Governor with a Democrat Governor would buy his secret plot against us Americans something we haven't considered yet.

Let him nominate Sandoval. The Senate can vote on him after the elections. They can vote the next day, the day after the election.

If Obama nominates Sandoval, and the Republicans block it, they just look (and are) stupid.

I don't get all of the Republican love around here. What have they done for you lately?

I don't think it's a matter of what they have done for me lately, it is more what they haven't done.

They haven't pushed an assault weapons ban, they haven't expressed a desire to remove my right to keep and carry my firearms. They haven't created laws to make it more difficult to defend myself or my family.

It all depends on what we see as most important to us. I hold my 2A rights up near the top of my desires in a politician and I don't see the Democrats supporting those rights.

If Obama nominates Sandoval, and the Republicans block it, they just look (and are) stupid.

I don't get all of the Republican love around here. What have they done for you lately?

I don't think it's a matter of what they have done for me lately, it is more what they haven't done.

They haven't pushed an assault weapons ban, they haven't expressed a desire to remove my right to keep and carry my firearms. They haven't created laws to make it more difficult to defend myself or my family.

It all depends on what we see as most important to us. I hold my 2A rights up near the top of my desires in a politician and I don't see the Democrats supporting those rights.

They have control of the Senate and House. What have they done to further your gun rights?

Yes they are better than dems in that specific issue but they have done nothing to make your life more free. Where is the push for national concealed carry reciprocity?

Why Obama says Republicans should ignore Biden’s Supreme Court comment

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-obama-says-republicans-should-ignore-bidens-supreme-court-comment-2016-02-24

President Barack Obama wants Republican senators to just forget what Joe Biden said more than 20 years ago about delaying a Supreme Court pick.

“We know senators say stuff all the time,” Obama, himself a former Senator from Illinois, said Wednesday in comments from the Oval Office.

Though Obama didn’t mention his vice president by name, it was a clear reference to then–Sen. Biden’s much-discussed argument against filling a vacancy on the high court late in a president’s final term. Republicans are using Biden’s June 1992 Senate floor speech as they vow not to hold hearings on, or even meet with, Obama’s nominee to replace the late Justice Antonin Scalia.

Let him nominate Sandoval. The Senate can vote on him after the elections. They can vote the next day, the day after the election.

Best move in my book - Give the appearance of proceeding with the process, hold hearings, etc on Sandoval and draaaag it out to the November election. If a Republican does not win - bam - confirm the very next day. Do not reject right away and give Obama more chances at trotting out libs.

Yes they are better than dems in that specific issue but they have done nothing to make your life more free. Where is the push for national concealed carry reciprocity?

Never going to happen with a Dem in the White House without a veto-proof majority. Never going to happen with GOP in the WH and a Dem filibuster.

You have to play the cards you're dealt with, if that means waiting patiently for a better hand so be it.

Never going to happen with a Dem in the White House without a veto-proof majority. Never going to happen with GOP in the WH and a Dem filibuster.You have to play the cards you're dealt with, if that means waiting patiently for a better hand so be it.

So you see the Illinois Democratic legislature playing that same strategy with a Republican governor? They are going to play nice and stop introducing anti-gun bills?

Sorry you don't win by sitting back and waiting for things to get better for you. Because what if they don't?

You can keep the pressure on, at the very least.

I can't wait till Obama's term is over. He's such a divider.

There are good and bad Republicans. There are good and bad democrats.

Maybe once his term is over and he goes back to his home de jour, the country can move on and heal, and the next President can help restore the country to its rightful place. These past two terms have been the worst terms the country has suffered in my lifetime.

Best move in my book - Give the appearance of proceeding with the process, hold hearings, etc on Sandoval and draaaag it out to the November election. If a Republican does not win - bam - confirm the very next day. Do not reject right away and give Obama more chances at trotting out libs.

Now that's a smart idea - I like it.

Archived