Still waiting on foid card

I applied for my FOID on 12/14/15. They took my money the next day, but my status has been "under review" ever since. They still have a couple of more days to adhere to the 30-day timeframe, so theoretically I should hear something real soon now. I'm not a felon, haven't been adjudicated mentally incompetent or any of that stuff they list as being disqualifiers for receiving a FOID, so I don't know why it takes them 30 days to respond. They can't deny a FOID "just because," can they?

I applied for my FOID on 12/14/15. They took my money the next day, but my status has been "under review" ever since. They still have a couple of more days to adhere to the 30-day timeframe, so theoretically I should hear something real soon now. I'm not a felon, haven't been adjudicated mentally incompetent or any of that stuff they list as being disqualifiers for receiving a FOID, so I don't know why it takes them 30 days to respond. They can't deny a FOID "just because," can they?

The Illinois State Police were notorious for dragging on issuing FOID cards a few years ago. Mine was due to expire in October 2012, and I sent the application by mail in June? I had to call my state Representative's office in September, and explain that I didn't want to become a felon overnight when it expired. I received my new FOID about three days later.

If I were you, I'd call my IL Rep and Senator on day 45, and go from there.

I applied for mine on 12/11 and I'm still "Under Review" as well. A phone call to the ISP was met with a recording that their call volume is high and a disconnect. An email via their website has gone unreplied. Not surprised, but it's too bad their is no accountability for their 30 day legal requirement to process FOID applications.

51 days here. Called State Rep two weeks ago. He let me know Monday that State Police notified their office that mine was approved, but printer was down. Said as soon as printer was back up they would get it in the mail. Website still shows under review, not getting my hopes up. Pretty sad the way they handle this process.

Edited by mtothew72

51 days here. Called State Rep two weeks ago. He let me know Monday that State Police notified their office that mine was approved, but printer was down. Said as soon as printer was back up they would get it in the mail. Website still shows under review, not getting my hopes up. Pretty sad the way they handle this process.

Well I just got off the phone with the ISP, who also told me that their printer was down. So I guess if they told your rep that on Monday, and it's now Thursday, it's been down all week? Which means, they likely have a HUGE backlog of cards to print. Or if I was a skeptical person, I might think that the "printer down" was just an excuse to justify a >30 day process. I don't think any well-run business would allow their printer to be down for an entire week - they'd either have a service call ASAP or have a backup printer.

Well, yesterday I checked my application and saw that the status had unofficially changed from "submitted" to "qc verified," although the website still just lists it as "under review." So I suppose the process is grinding along slowly but surely - emphasis on "slowly." Would it kill them to process things in a timely manner? I note they have no problem with that concept when money is involved, and it's heading their way.

I did an address change on my FOID on 11/30/2015. It went active on the ISP website on 1/8/16. Still haven't seen my new card in the mail.

Gun store is holding my gun I bought because my FOID is invalid because of the address change.

I cannot find anything in the FOID law that says the card is automatically invalidated when a change of address is filed. Maybe someone else has that information. Was the store refusing on its own or did the ISP reject the FOID at time of the original sale? The law does say that you have to file a change of address within 21 days of moving.

On a related note, apparently when receiving ammunition by mail or carrier, the address on your driver's license and FOID do not have to agree. It does not mention guns.

" (b-5) Any resident may purchase ammunition from a person within or outside of Illinois if shipment is by United States mail or by a private express carrier authorized by federal law to ship ammunition. Any resident purchasing ammunition within or outside the State of Illinois must provide the seller with a copy of his or her valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card and either his or her Illinois driver's license or Illinois State Identification Card prior to the shipment of the ammunition. The ammunition may be shipped only to an address on either of those 2 documents."

I did an address change on my FOID on 11/30/2015. It went active on the ISP website on 1/8/16. Still haven't seen my new card in the mail.

Gun store is holding my gun I bought because my FOID is invalid because of the address change.

I cannot find anything in the FOID law that says the card is automatically invalidated when a change of address is filed. Maybe someone else has that information. Was the store refusing on its own or did the ISP reject the FOID at time of the original sale? The law does say that you have to file a change of address within 21 days of moving.

On a related note, apparently when receiving ammunition by mail or carrier, the address on your driver's license and FOID do not have to agree. It does not mention guns.

" (b-5) Any resident may purchase ammunition from a person within or outside of Illinois if shipment is by United States mail or by a private express carrier authorized by federal law to ship ammunition. Any resident purchasing ammunition within or outside the State of Illinois must provide the seller with a copy of his or her valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card and either his or her Illinois driver's license or Illinois State Identification Card prior to the shipment of the ammunition. The ammunition may be shipped only to an address on either of those 2 documents."

Yeah, i thought it would still be valid, but he said when he ran my background the address came back invalid and couldnt verify my background. I told him when i filled out the form and again on the phone that my address changed and my FOID was valid still and provided the new address both times, i just didnt have the new card. He wont release the gun without seeing the new card with the updated address. (Even though my card should still be valid)

I updated my address and then two weeks later did the FOID. It took 30 days or so to go active from under review.

I'm not sure the classification on the web site means much. I applied for an address change to my FOID on 12/8/15 by phone and the lady took care of everything right then, including my new CC permit. She did send me a form to sign and return with a copy of my training certificate and picture. My FOID application showed active the next day and still does 36 days later but I haven't received the updated FOID.