Is it possible to get a CCL by March

d_tierne1

I need the 8 hr class and I have a copy of my DD214s. I don't know how long it takes the state to process everything. But who is having the next class somewhere in Dupage county or close to it. I gave up trying to figure out when the free classes for disabled vets are. I am pretty much looking for cheap and quick.

Curiosity is the root of all evil, we know that!

But I'll ask.....why by March?

If you want the class fast, I'd try this based on your location.

Several co-workers have taken the class from here, with no complaints.

http://www.westsuburbanconcealedcarry.com

Or here as nothing but solid reviews have come from here, plus the 50% off the second person is inviting!

http://www.safegunpermits.com/services.html

P.S. There is a prints place right on Butterfield east of RT59 about 1 mile.

Can't think of the name right now, but if I remember I'll come back and edit again!

I am heading to Philly the week of St pattys. and AL in September, I would like to bring a pistol with me.

You'll need a PA license to carry in PA, but that takes 20 minutes in person. You would have to have a FOID and they might be asking for IL CCLs now I dunno.

I think it is a PA requirement to have your states LTC if they issue. They required the FOID before Illinois got LTC.

I went to the handgunlaw.us website which always seems to have the most up to date information on states LTC. I checked to see if the PA requirements had changed for non-residents. It says they require you have your states LTC , "if they issue"! Then it says that Illinois residents are required to have a FOID. One of those rare incidents where the handgunlaw.us website didn't update their information. Some Illinois residents are going to be disappointed if they go their with just their FOID.

BTW, PA doesn't recognize the Illinois LTC, so you can't carry in PA til you get the PA LTC.

PA recognizes nonresident licenses from a couple of states (such as TX), but certainly the PA license is the way to go.

If there isn't time to make a stop to get a PA license, you can still carry in your car with an IL license (or a license from any state).

Open carry is legal without a PA license or reciprocal license, except in Philadelphia (where a recognized license is required to open carry).

I got my PA license with just showing FOID, which is what they asked for. YMMV. Only right, after all, Lisa declared in court that Illinois considers FOID to be a carry permit (just one with limited areas of carry).

Getting the PA license in ~20 minutes will only serve to magnify contempt for IL. If you have the application filled out ahead of time it'll be faster. It was only $20 also.

If you're actually present in PA, picking up a PA license is almost a no-brainer, beyond PA it's a nice add on that gives you several additional states at a low cost and burden. And with the way some states screw around with reciprocity (VA most recently) having multiple layers of permits could come in handy if you travel.

I just got a email from Gat Guns they want 180 for the 2nd 8hr day 80 for the 1st 4 hours and 100 for the last 4 hrs. I didn't know it was 180ish for the 2nd day. Wow I would have thought the price came down. I am planning on taking a few other classes like RSO and maybe PPITH and I would love to add rifle instructor to the list but no one seems to be adding them to their calendar yet. in 2016 so I will see whats available.

I just got a email from Gat Guns they want 180 for the 2nd 8hr day 80 for the 1st 4 hours and 100 for the last 4 hrs. I didn't know it was 180ish for the 2nd day. Wow I would have thought the price came down. I am planning on taking a few other classes like RSO and maybe PPITH and I would love to add rifle instructor to the list but no one seems to be adding them to their calendar yet. in 2016 so I will see whats available.

$180 for 8 hours sounds high, considering that lots of 16 hour classes run about $200. Does the $180 include fingerprints?

$180 for 8 hours sounds high, considering that lots of 16 hour classes run about $200. Does the $180 include fingerprints?

Yeah, you could probably drive to southern or central IL, get a hotel room and take the second-day 8 hours for less money than that, unless they're including fingerprints.

I just looked at their site. They have it broken into three parts. A B C. $60 for A (first 8 hours all classroom). $80 for B (4 hours classroom). $100 for C (4 hours classroom and range.) $240 total. Prints are an additional $55 if you take the class from them (I didn't see what it costs if you don't take their class.). $30 for them to fill out your electronic application. I don't know the content or quality of their classes, so I won't comment as to that. The prints and application are definitely a ripoff. I didn't pay more than $55 (maybe $45 or $50 two years ago) for my prints from a place I just walked into and had NO affiliation with. $55 is no "deal" for doing them if you did your training there. And $30 to fill out the application?

https://www.gatguns.com/concealed-carry-permits/concealed-carry-permits-illinois

I just looked at their site. They have it broken into three parts. A B C. $60 for A (first 8 hours all classroom). $80 for B (4 hours classroom). $100 for C (4 hours classroom and range.) $240 total. Prints are an additional $55 if you take the class from them (I didn't see what it costs if you don't take their class.). $30 for them to fill out your electronic application. I don't know the content or quality of their classes, so I won't comment as to that. The prints and application are definitely a ripoff. I didn't pay more than $55 (maybe $45 or $50 two years ago) for my prints from a place I just walked into and had NO affiliation with. $55 is no "deal" for doing them if you did your training there. And $30 to fill out the application?

https://www.gatguns.com/concealed-carry-permits/concealed-carry-permits-illinois

I agree I am going elsewhere.

There are way to many instructors out there to try to find one that I would trust.

You trust your friend, and he should be on that list of ISP approved instructors.

Just saying.

If you use your friend great.

But any of the listed/posted recommendations here should be good also.

147,000 plus have used the listed instructors so far.

Good luck, stay safe.......

Where did you get your PA license from? I had one and I read that to renew I had to do it in person.

This is true and correct, pursuant to PA law you must now be present in person to obtain their LTCF. I first got mine too back when they did it only through the mail. I however opted to renew mine (expired before we got IL CCL's/FCCA). I have a post somewhere around here fully outlining how that trip went for me. In a nutshell this was the ONLY reason I "ran out" to PA for this specific "trip". I planned it just perfectly so (taking into consideration the time zone "hop") and I left my home right when I knew I'd arrive at somewhere close to midnight PA time. I drove nonstop (except for fuel of course) to the closest hotel to the Centre Co Sheriff's office, and I did arrive promptly at midnight. I went to sleep woke by 0800 PA time. Went to the Centre County Sheriff's office and that's the first thing the lady asked: "you here to get your firearm license"? LOL! "Why yes I am", "the applications are over on that counter in the corner, please fill it out and bring it back to me". As I did so there was an elderly man filling one out too. So, to attempt to shorten the story, I'd have to say, even that prior estimate in this thread of 20 minutes is a LONG shot. I say that because the process for me, which INCLUDED conversing with that older gentleman that was also filling out an app, AND letting insisting he turn his in first (we finished filling ours out at about the same time and he offered to let me go first, I said "no sir, you were here before me - YOU go first), the ENTIRE process (for me) took about TEN (10) minutes! After I turned in my app, she said she'd call me back to the counter shortly. While I was waiting I overheard what I believe to be the phone call she made for my "background check", and a reciting of what I believe to be some kind of confirmation number that they have to file with the app. Very shortly after that I was called back where she then collected my photograph (yes they come with photo now), and my signature (and I think I paid the fee at this time too). She then told me she'd call me back to the counter when it was ready. I stood back in the corner by the apps and when she called my name I went to the window and she handed me my new PA LTCF - "have a nice day", "you as well". And (all of that) only took TEN (10) minutes! I got back in my vehicle, I had a full 8 hours sleep, it was still early, I begun to drive straight back home!

For that entire trip, the way I planned it, JUST to renew my license to carry firearms; I wasn't gone much more than 24 hours! From the DuPage area it's roughly a 9 hour drive one way. I also didn't know what to expect in terms of, would I have to wait - how long, would they just mail it back to me with the "in person" part being "out of the way". So I wanted to make sure I had ample time, and sleep. Knowing what I now know, the next time my PA LTCF expires I may even skip the hotel and sleep part and just time it right to head out when I'll arrive right around when the sheriff's office opens, get it done (10/20 minutes), and drive straight back! Although that would be almost 20 hours straight of driving! I've done it before >.> (took me 21 hours to drive non stop to Albuquerque NM) If one could "handle" doing that - your entire trip would only be ~20 hours (and 20 minutes)! Either way, VERY well worth it (and I hope next time to shake Mr Nau's hand personally)! And yes, with how smooth the process goes over there, REALLY makes you scratch your head why IL thinks they need 90/120 days to figure out whether someone is or should be eligible for a CCL, when it takes the lovely state of PA (at least the centre co sheriff's office) TEN minutes to figure that out! /Shakes My D*** Head!

Oh, and to answer your original question of the thread - I definitely and HIGHLY recommend http://www.safegunpermits.com. Craig and Kevin are great people and their class is A+ 5*! Craig & Kevin are both on IC too ;) Sadly it looks like their next class on JAN 16th & 17th is full, but they do still appear to have openings for their 23rd & 24th class! Requires $30 deposit, and the class is $100 in total (for the 8 Hour Military Discount course)($70 due at class)... No additional "range fee" or any other "hidden fee" or fees. And provided nothing has changed since I took my class with them, they even bring a print vendor to class (that of course is an extra fee, to the print vendor), so you can get your prints done right in class! You'd have to check with them to see (for sure) if this is still offered... Either way, I would not recommend paying one of the "rip off" courses at "main stream" places such as GAT guns, or Article II - they're a RIP OFF period!

REALLY makes you scratch your head why IL thinks they need 90/120 days to figure out whether someone is or should be eligible for a CCL, when it takes the lovely state of PA (at least the centre co sheriff's office) TEN minutes to figure that out! /Shakes My D*** Head!

Just found out yesterday, my 67 year old neighbor, retired, former business owner, crime free his whole life, applied 8/22 without prints and is still waiting. As of today 12/29 that makes 127 days. Doesn't know who to call, just sits and checks his online app every morning. "Under review" "Under review" "Under review".......

REALLY makes you scratch your head why IL thinks they need 90/120 days to figure out whether someone is or should be eligible for a CCL, when it takes the lovely state of PA (at least the centre co sheriff's office) TEN minutes to figure that out! /Shakes My D*** Head!

Just found out yesterday, my 67 year old neighbor, retired, former business owner, crime free his whole life, applied 8/22 without prints and is still waiting. As of today 12/29 that makes 127 days. Doesn't know who to call, just sits and checks his online app every morning. "Under review" "Under review" "Under review".......

That is sad and angering!

Archived