Muzzleloaders = only through an FFL. But kits...?

MrTriple

In most states, you can order muzzleloaders online and have them shipped to you since the Feds don't consider them firearms. Illinois is bad in that they classify them as firearms and require their sale be conducted through an FFL like any "real" gun.

But what about muzzleloader kits? Are they treated the way an 80% lower or upper kit are, or are the important parts "finished" enough to require purchase through an FFL? The holiday season is fast approaching, and one has to start researching this stuff now!

Did that change recently? I bought one at an estate sale and the auctioneer announced that all firearms were subject to FFL transfer regs but MLs were cash and carry with FOID only and no yellow paper.

In another estate case (as executor), I shipped a ML to Pennsylvania via regular USPS and there were no restrictions or special requirements. I don't remember what the source of info was at the time but I think it was another FFL. The BATFE was also involved and I might have checked with the Special Agent. I know he was aware of it, if not before then soon after.

• 3 weeks later...

If purchased in IL or from a company that does business in IL a background check is required and a 24hr wait.

Order one online from a company that has no stores in IL and they'll ship it to you.

Until they built stores in IL, Bass Pro and Cabela's would ship one to you.

Well, THAT makes perfect sense!

I seem to recall someone several years ago who used a ML for deer hunting because he had a felony conviction that prohibited him from having a shotgun.

He bought it under the radar, but IL considers ML's firearms and a FOID is required by a IL resident.

The dealer has to have a FOID to enter when doing the background check.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657&ChapterID=39

"Firearm" means any device, by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile or projectiles by the action of an explosion, expansion of gas or escape of gas; excluding, however:

(1) any pneumatic gun, spring gun, paint ball gun, or B-B gun which expels a single globular projectile not exceeding .18 inch in diameter or which has a maximum muzzle velocity of less than 700 feet per second;

(1.1) any pneumatic gun, spring gun, paint ball gun,or B-B gun which expels breakable paint balls containing washable marking colors;

(2) any device used exclusively for signalling or safety and required or recommended by the United States Coast Guard or the Interstate Commerce Commission;

(3) any device used exclusively for the firing of stud cartridges, explosive rivets or similar industrial ammunition; and

(4) an antique firearm (other than a machine-gun)which, although designed as a weapon, the Department of State Police finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value, design, and other characteristics is primarily a collector's item and is not likely to be used as a weapon.

Note there is no exemption like there is in 18 USC 921

(3) The term firearm means (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; {B}: the frame or receiver of any such weapon; © any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

(16) The term antique firearm means

(A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or

{B} any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica

(i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or

(ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; or

© any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For purposes of this subparagraph, the term antique firearm shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.

Archived