FOID address

Should be fine. As long as one ID was current, sold guns at one of the more strict FFL's for 8 yrs that way.

I just moved again too. 2 years ago one could obtain a FOID before a new DL, but that's changed along with the SoS office being even more strict with acceptable ID and proof of address. Your address for your DL and vehicle registrations can be changed very easily online. No registering or anything like the ISP's site and they send you conformation to your new address.

I've got some CDL changes to do and need to get a birth certificate and new DOT physical before I can do that.

The above is from the CCL act.

Here's the FOID act. I don't see any requirement and no requirement is mentioned on the ISP's website.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657&ChapterID=39

The only thing in the FOID act is if one moves after an application has been sent.

(a-15) If an applicant applying for a Firearm Owner's Identification Card moves from the residence address named in the application, he or she shall immediately notify in a form and manner prescribed by the Department of State Police of that change of address.

Here's the FOID act. I don't see any requirement and no requirement is mentioned on the ISP's website.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657&ChapterID=39

The only thing in the FOID act is if one moves after an application has been sent.

Some of you are making me really nervous. You might want to read the FOID Act again.

Section 13.2 of the Act requires a FOID holder to notify the ISP of a change in his or her address.

"It is the obligation of the holder of a Firearm Owner's Identification Card to notify the Department of State Police of any address change since the issuance of the Firearm Owner's Identification Card. Whenever any person moves from the residence address named on his or her card, the person shall within 21 calendar days thereafter notify in a form and manner prescribed by the Department of his or her old and new residence addresses and the card number held by him or her. "

Unless otherwise specified in the Act, according to Section 14(e), the default sentence for a violation of the FOID Act is a Class A Misdemeanor, and I believe this (likely) applies here:

(e) Except as provided by Section 6.1 of this Act, any other violation of this Act is a Class A misdemeanor.

I haven't personally heard of anyone being prosecuted for this, and doubt ISP would pursue a Misdemeanor A for failing to update an address. Nevertheless, the requirement to do so is undeniably clear.

Edited by kwc

Didn't read far enough down in the 13.2 paragraph.

The ISP's website says this:

How do I change my name or address on the FOID Card?
FOID card holders may request a name or address change to their FOID card by completing the request through the ISP website at www.isp.state.il.us. and clicking on the "FIREARM SERVICES" button under Agency Features, then under FOID card, click Enter. Once registered, you will select "NAME/ADDRESS CHANGE." Your Illinois Driver's License or State Identification Card must match the name and address on your FOID card. You will receive a new card with the modified information. You will retain your current FOID card number and expiration date. You may also request a name/address change by calling 217/782-7980 for the call-in alternative application.The fee for the name or address change is $5.

Saying one "may request" to saying "must match" is kind of confusing, but then it's the ISP.

Where in the act does it say your FOID must match your DL?

In their old system, one could just submit an address change, no registration, no fee just like the Sec. of State allows one to do with their DL and registrations. Only CDL holders must obtain a corrected DL in a specified time frame.

• 3 weeks later...

There are several threads on this issue now.

In some instances it sounds like the ISP is making things up depending on who you get on the phone.

All I can say is the ISP's system sucks. All they do is make things more complicated and make things up out of the blue it seems.

The law says you're only required to "request" an address change. It used to be free and simple.

How can the Sec. of state do basically the same thing with millions of DL's and registrations in a much simplier way?

It boggles the mind.