How do you order FOID cards for your kids with the new online system?

Does anyone know how to apply for FOID cards online for your children now?

Remember back in March they put this out:

The Illinois State Police (ISP) today announced the Agency will begin accepting on-line FOID applications beginning March 16, 2015, to provide a more streamlined and modernized application process. The ISP will no longer accept the current FOID paper applications after Monday, March 9, 2015

When I log in - it takes me to my own summary page. I can renew my own FOID or CCL but there is no other option to request a FOID.

I am wondering if each of my kids have to create an account on the ISP website?

Ya, it looks like each kid must have a separate account - unique login.

Also a change from previous years - your kids must have a valid state license or state ID. They didn't need to have state IDs before IIRC.

How does that work for younger kids? Those of us with children far too young to drive will still likely want to get the FOIDs due to the protections provided in the law.

Ya, it looks like each kid must have a separate account - unique login.

Also a change from previous years - your kids must have a valid state license or state ID. They didn't need to have state IDs before IIRC.

How does that work for younger kids? Those of us with children far too young to drive will still likely want to get the FOIDs due to the protections provided in the law.

You can get them a state ID at any age, I think I had a state ID at a 8 years old

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I took my kids today to get their state IDs.

At the start point they ask you for your driver's license, and for the kids they ask for birth certificates and Social Security cards.

There are other forms of ID that are acceptable - you can look at the Secretary of State site - but the 2 I mentioned are what they are looking for by default.

It's an offline process, we just got one for one of mine. Call the FOID number and they ask the questions. Then they send you a form that's pre-filled and an affidavit to be notorized. Sign and send back. THEY must sign the app, if they can't (too young) send a copy of the birth certificate. There is no account to create online, they do it for you. You can't log in to check, but it took about a month.

From the FAQ: Yes, a minor can apply for a FOID card with a parent or legal guardian sponsor. The parent or legal guardian must be eligible for a FOID card. The parent or legal guardian must also sign an affidavit and attach it to the application. (At this time, if you were born after January 1, 2000, you must submit your application through the alternative call-in method via the Customer Service Call Center at 217-782-7980.)

What I learned is that if you want to speak with someone in the ISP Firearms Service Bureau, you'd better block off a big chunk of time. I was on hold for about an hour hearing the repeating message that the Firearms Service Bureau was experiencing unsually high call volume. I was on hold and then whatever call-handling system they have, hung up on me. I had stuff to get done and I couldn't just sit on hold again - I'll call again tomorrow.

Well I finally got through, my kids FOIDs are A-OK, submitted and under review. The only thing that is needed before doing a child's FOID app online is they definitely need a state ID - the online process just won't work without a state ID.

Is the State ID optional for the offline process then? Only needed if you do it online?

Any idea why they won't allow you to apply on line for a minor child born after January 1, 2000? Do you think it is purely an age thing?

Sorry I didn't catch this earlier - all my kids were born after 01/01/2000 and I applied for their FOIDs online - nothing in the process stopped me and they accepted my payment.

Any idea why they won't allow you to apply on line for a minor child born after January 1, 2000? Do you think it is purely an age thing?

Sorry I didn't catch this earlier - all my kids were born after 01/01/2000 and I applied for their FOIDs online - nothing in the process stopped me and they accepted my payment.

No worries Count. They accepted my payment as well. So now the wait begins.

My one daughter's FOID went active yesterday in the system, from reading posts here the physical card usually shows up the day after the FOID or CCL goes active in the system. I applied for her on 8/7 so if I get the car in the mail today that is a 20 day turn around. Even if I get it next Monday that is a pretty good turn around compared to what it used to be.

Rauner must be crackin the whip ! :laugh:

So to answer my own question, yes, for the online process you must create an account for each child, and go though the online application process. You will get to the part where you have to send in a parent / guardian affidavit. Download the blank form, take it to a Public Notary to notarize your signature. Digitize the affidavit - they accept jpeg so if nothing else you can just scan it and upload the digital copy of the affidavit to ISP's site. Take a head & shoulder's picture of your kid and upload that too.