IL Law and Home Property Carry

Dobroguy

Wouldn't it depend on where you live? Doesn't some cities have laws against open carry?

They wouldn't apply to handguns anyway

One thing to make sure of, if you live in a suburban area (like I do) you may not own the sidewalk and the strip of grass between the sidewalk and street (actually called a parkway, but I'm not allowed to park there, go figure)

Where I live that's not part of my property so OC there is a big no-no

Wouldn't it depend on where you live? Doesn't some cities have laws against open carry?

One thing to make sure of, if you live in a suburban area (like I do) you may not own the sidewalk and the strip of grass between the sidewalk and street (actually called a parkway, but I'm not allowed to park there, go figure)

Also there can be similar issues if you are dealing with a home owner's association, especially in a condo or town home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know the area the OP is from, but I'm in the country but have a house on either side within a few hundred yards. I open carry, they can see me and it is legal. Same goes for our closest town, pop about 2500. Don't recall anything about the other side of the walk. So yes, here down southways you can carry while you mow, garden, sit on your porch, wash the car, etc.

This is an interesting topic. I have often thought of that. But, where I live, I did read the City of Ottawa, IL Muncipal codes concerning weapons.

A person, who is not a city officer, shall not carry about his person any concealed pistol, knife, razor, slingshot, metal knuckles or any other weapon or thing of deadly character.

(Code 1987, § 42.03)

Any CONCEALED weapon is no good.. Says nothing about OC. But, heck..who does not pocket carry a pocket knife? Must be okay if I OC my Bowie and handgun instead!.

Yes.

Molly, what made you say yes? Do, you know something, that we do not know? What am I missing? I know this is about private property, not downtown. - Thanks

Molly, what made you say yes? Do, you know something, that we do not know? What am I missing? I know this is about private property, not downtown. - Thanks

The only laws that applies to handguns in IL are the state laws, which do no prohibit OC (or CC) on your own property (or anyone else's if you have permission from the owner)

Long guns may still be subject to local regulations, but I don't know of any offhand

It is legal, and encouraged.

However, keep in mind that you could be playing checkers in your front yard and someone could call the cops because they are offended by it. They are obligated to respond. Depending on where you live, they might shake your hand and walk away, or they might give you a ride.

Just sayin'. :)

The only laws that applies to handguns in IL are the state laws, which do no prohibit OC (or CC) on your own property (or anyone else's if you have permission from the owner)

Long guns may still be subject to local regulations, but I don't know of any offhand

I'm not aware of any law that requires permission to conceal carry on another persons property or in their home? Provided you have an Illinois CC permit and the home/property is not posted

I'm not aware of any law that requires permission to conceal carry on another persons property or in their home? Provided you have an Illinois CC permit and the home/property is not posted

I meant without a permit, sorry for the confusion

Yep, what he said. If you're cutting your grass, don't step on the sidewalk and remove your firearm before you cut that strip of grass by the street.

Municipalities are funny like that. If I let that strip of grass get to tall it's an ordinance violation. If I want to do anything else there, it's also an ordinance violation. (Per the law. They rarely fine anyone for anything.)

I recommend every gun owner OC on their property all the time. And at their friends' properties, with their consent of course.

I would think a alot of places will still have an "ordinance" on the books that mirrored what the old state law used to be prior to the FCCL. Such as "no concealed firearms", however, obviously these can no longer be enforced (if they don't remove them) because of the FCCL (AND preemption). I know Schaumburg had one, and wouldn't doubt they haven't removed it. Many of them will go un-removed. It's good enough knowing they're not able to actually enforce it!

To directly answer the OP, yes you can OC on your own property (note, as others have noted ON YOUR property [which may not include that little strip of grass between the sidewalk and street]). It was like that even before the FCCL, I used to cut grass while OC long before the FCCL.

Yep, Schaumburg, IL hasn't revised theirs:

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/Firearms/Ordinances\schaumburg.pdf

https://www.municode.com/library/il/schaumburg/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=TIT13GEOF_CH136WEOF

It STILL states:

No person shall carry concealed on or about his person, a pistol, revolver or any other firearm. This provision does not apply, however, to the following officers, while engaged in the discharge of their official duties: Sheriffs, coroners, constables, policemen or other duly constituted peace officers and wardens, superintendents and keepers of prisoners, penitentiaries, jails and other institutions for the detention of persons accused or convicted of crimes; nor to the following employees or agents, while in the discharge of the duties of their employment: Watchmen, special agents and policemen employed by railroads or express companies; nor to persons lawfully summoned by an officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace while so engaged in assisting such an officer.

However, keep in mind that you could be playing checkers in your front yard and someone could call the cops because they are offended by it. They are obligated to respond. Depending on where you live, they might shake your hand and walk away, or they might give you a ride.

Give you a ride for what? Checkers and open carry on your property are both legal.

So one last question say I wanted to check a law out, can I carry in a non posted police station??????????? Or all police stations considered government property... Just asking

If you are talking about a municipal police force and not a gated community security team, I would assume any police station falls into the prohibited area category as "(5) Any building or portion of a building under the control of a unit of local government."

Just curious... why would you need to enter a police station to "check a law out?" There are plenty of resources online, and IMHO police are often not the best source to consult for interpreting the law.

Give you a ride for what? Checkers and open carry on your property are both legal.

I would guess...

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?ActID=1876&ChapterID=53&SeqStart=73600000&SeqEnd=74600000

Seem like the police should know the local laws on this matter...

So one last question say I wanted to check a law out, can I carry in a non posted police station??????????? Or all police stations considered government property... Just asking

If you are talking about a municipal police force and not a gated community security team, I would assume any police station falls into the prohibited area category as "(5) Any building or portion of a building under the control of a unit of local government."

Just curious... why would you need to enter a police station to "check a law out?" There are plenty of resources online, and IMHO police are often not the best source to consult for interpreting the law.

Archived