FOID revoked due to speeding ticket?

Get a lawyer. It's not good to have it on your record. I'll pay a lawyer $100 and 99% of time it will be dismissed

This is true. You don't even have to have a lawyer before you go to court. You can find someone outside the courthouse handing out cards. The presences of a lawyer will get a speeding ticket dropped. Best $100 you'll spend.

17 over. First ticket in like over 5 years.

I doubt it but it was just something I was wondering about because I'm thinking about just paying the lower fine and have it go on my driving record instead of paying the higher fine + 4 hours driving class and have it not go on my record.

My inclination would be to keep it off my record.

I had one about a year ago for 19 over. I didn't get a lawyer but I went to court and paid the full fine and a court supervision fee and as long as I didn't get anymore tickets for 6 months it didn't go on my record. I can't remember the total cost but I wanna say around $150-$175..losing my FOID card never crossed my mind, I think you're fine in that respect

What makes you think you can lose your FOID over this?

In some states 20+ over the limit qualifies for reckless driving, which is a felony. Utah is 40+. Virginia is 20+ or >80mph, whichever is lower. And, since 48 of the 50 states share drivers info, a reckless in 1 state could, theoretically, cost you your FOID in this state.

Edited by domin8

Get a lawyer. It's not good to have it on your record. I'll pay a lawyer $100 and 99% of time it will be dismissed

This is true. You don't even have to have a lawyer before you go to court. You can find someone outside the courthouse handing out cards. The presences of a lawyer will get a speeding ticket dropped. Best $100 you'll spend.

OMG, I just don't know where to start with this one ...

17 over. First ticket in like over 5 years.

I doubt it but it was just something I was wondering about because I'm thinking about just paying the lower fine and have it go on my driving record instead of paying the higher fine + 4 hours driving class and have it not go on my record.

The true cost of having it on your record is much higher when you figure in insurance cost and credit number hit. Edited by spec5

I've had a ton of tickets in the past, some I was eligible and able to go on court supervision for and some I wasn't able. All for speeding except for an improper lane usage (cop was a major ***** and I'll still argue it).

Some are on my record some aren't, haven't had a ticket in 10 years and 4 months. Doesn't effect me one bit that I have speeding tickets on my record, I still have an 800+ credit score, cheap auto insurance and my FOID card.

If ALL that is on my record from my days as a younger man is speeding tickets I won't complain one bit. They could have had me for MUCH MUCH MORE sometimes if they would have tried harder (and in a few instances simply turned a flashlight on and looked 10' further).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What makes you think you can lose your FOID over this?

In some states 20+ over the limit qualifies for reckless driving, which is a felony. Utah is 40+. Virginia is 20+ or >80mpg, whichever is lower. And, since 48 of the 50 states share drivers info, a reckless in 1 state could, theoretically, cost you your FOID in this state.

I've had a FOID since the mid 1980's at least AND several speeding tickets. Never Had ANY bearing on my FOID, nor was it ever brought up.

I don't think that reckless driving is a felony...is it?

"...... 26 MPH over the limit a crime. Under Section 11-601.5(a) of the Vehicle Code, speeding 26-34 MPH over the posted limit is a Class B misdemeanor offense. The potential penalty for any Class B misdemeanor is 180 days in the county jail and a $1,500 fine. IANAL

Edited by spec5

No. It's impossible to get you foid or ccl revoked for speeding. Court supervisor does not affect your rights. I had my licence revoked for 7 years. No issues with foid or ccl. The only way I see them getting affected is if you get a dui or seriously injure or kill someone on purpose with a motor vehicle. Edited by DDM

Hold on a sec...are you saying your FOID has been revoked and you're wondering if it could be because of the speeding ticket? Or are you saying that you got a speeding ticket and are worried that you could get your FOID revoked as a result?

Sorry guys. I got a ticket today for speeding and was wondering if it had any bearing on FOID status. I'm only asking because IL seems to be pretty strict about FOID. When I was 18 I got my license suspended for a year for having too many speeding tickets. I'm 26 now and this is actually my first ever ticket since I was 18. I know it's a stupid question but I just wanted to make sure.

Reckless driving in Illinois is a Class A Misdemeanor. If somebody gets injured it becomes aggravated reckless driving, which is a class 4 felony.

Illinois statute: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=062500050K11-503

Illinois does not appear to define reckless driving as a speed above the posted limit, like Utah and Virginia do. It seems to leave this to officer discretion.

If the OP was only cited for speeding, I don't see an impact on their FOID Card.

Keep in mind that a FOID Card can be denied or revoked for a felony conviction, pursuant to 430 ILCS 65/4 (2)(ii). In regards to a speeding tickets, misdemeanors for a driving violation are exempt under 430 ILCS 65/4 (2)(i). Speeding will not impact your FOID.

Edited by domin8