looks like we got a FCCL defensive shooting

Tvandermyde

got a call from somone who was involved in a self defense shooting last night

In Chicago/north side. caught between rival gang members when one side started shooting.

shot the bad guy 3 times, looks like he'll live (must have used a 380 or 9mm)

spent several hours with CPD being interviewed and let go. He says they think its a good shoot.

We'll know more later.

he was suggested to call me. we talked for a few minutes. He didn't have a lawyer.So I gave him the name of someone I use that handels Cook. Andsuggest he make contact, incase this goes bad and gets another visit from the cops and how he should handel things from this point on.

Is this the incident?

About 11:50 p.m. Friday, a 22-year-old man was shot by another man in the 2900 block of North Milwaukee Avenue in Logan Square. Police would not provide details surrounding the shooting but described the 22-year-old man as an "offender," and said he was shot by a 47-year-old man after he pointed a gun at the 47-year-old. The 22-year-old was taken to an area hospital where his condition stabilized. Police said the 22-year-old man was in custody early Saturday.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-chicago-shooting-violence-20150417-story.html#page=1

My advice for him would be to ask you not to post anymore until everything is settled. He shoudnt make any statements through people other than his lawyer. Time will come when he will be free to talk. I'm not anyone of a legal education. Just my opinion and advice I have read.

I am pretty darn sure Todd is more in the Know than you and I will ever be . Hence I seriously doubt his lips will sink the ship

My advice for him would be to ask you not to post anymore until everything is settled. He shoudnt make any statements through people other than his lawyer. Time will come when he will be free to talk. I'm not anyone of a legal education. Just my opinion and advice I have read.

I am of a legal education, and you, sir (?), are correct! And Todd certainly knows what to do, in any event.

What dirt could there possibly be on an FCCA licensee??? If he's farted too loudly in the last ten years he wouldn't have a license.

You mean dirt like "oops, he shot the crook in the back as the crook was running from him"?

Or "oops, he shot someone over stolen property"? Or a road rage incident?

You know, things that advance the anti agenda.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: despite all the political stupidity about guns, Chicago historically has been permissive as far as the use of deadly force in self defense. Barring blockbuster new evidence I doubt we'll see charges against the shooter.

I'll second this.

I've tracked a multitude of stories where there have been DGU's and the only charge has been a failure to register, which was usually dropped if the weapon was surrendered.

Luckily since McDonald (RIP Otis), the registration is a moot point; maybe we'll see those lawfully owned weapons actually making back to their owners instead of becoming tabletop trophies for ICHV and Streetlights.

I've often thought of how I would handle such a situation myself, i.e., if I were involved in a defensive shooting. I subscribe to CCW for just that reason, and after stating the minimal to the police (as advised by Masad Ayoob) I would call CCW. I'm sure any attorney would tell me to NOT talk to anyone else about the incident, not post anything on the internet, etc. until everything was resolved to the degree that I was no longer at risk legally. I hope it never happens, and that someday I'll think about my carry gun as similar to the fire extinguisher that I have had for many, many years in my garage: never needed but makes me feel good to know it is there, just in case.

Is this the incident?

About 11:50 p.m. Friday, a 22-year-old man was shot by another man in the 2900 block of North Milwaukee Avenue in Logan Square. Police would not provide details surrounding the shooting but described the 22-year-old man as an "offender," and said he was shot by a 47-year-old man after he pointed a gun at the 47-year-old. The 22-year-old was taken to an area hospital where his condition stabilized. Police said the 22-year-old man was in custody early Saturday.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-chicago-shooting-violence-20150417-story.html#page=1

That's *very* close to me. I do know of at least one other member who also lives in this neighborhood, and I hope it isn't him.

Thanks for the update, Todd.

Archived