Valid CCL - Moving Out of State - Get Non Resident Permit

mctheriot

Hi guys,

I currently have a valid IL CCL and may be moving to Minn. Once I become a Minn resident, my IL CCL is no longer valid and I will obtain a Minn CCL.

What will my challenges be in getting a IL non resident permit? I already meet all requirements and training? Has anyone else with an IL CCL moved out of state and tried to get a non resident permit?

Thanks for any help!

Mark

Hi guys,

I currently have a valid IL CCL and may be moving to Minn. Once I become a Minn resident, my IL CCL is no longer valid and I will obtain a Minn CCL.

What will my challenges be in getting a IL non resident permit? I already meet all requirements and training? Has anyone else with an IL CCL moved out of state and tried to get a non resident permit?

Thanks for any help!

Mark

Minnesota is not listed SO I would say big challenges at this time.

How can I find out if my state's laws are considered "substantially similar?"

The Illinois State Police sent a survey to each state to determine which of them has laws that are substantially similar. Click here to find out how your state responded and if your state's laws have been determined to be substantially similar. Currently, the only states considered to be substantially similar are Hawaii, New Mexico, South Carolina and Virginia.

One would you would be able to get an out of state, since your background has already been ran and everything passed, but this is still IL., so I would do as suggested and call.

Make sure you preface it with you have already passed all the checks and are just moving locations. You would think they would just take your $300 and be happy, but ?

Discussed here. Calling the ISP would be futile in this instance. They are the ones holding up the issuance using their definition of substantially similar. Contact Todd at Tvandermyd@aol.com

Also there is no non-resident permit. It is the same permit issued to a non-resident.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?vshowtopic=55084&hl=resident#entry875768

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54943&hl=resident

I brought this subject up to TV in an email a little while back, but I can only imagine how busy they are at this time of the political season, so I didn't press past the email. It would seem to me that if you have an Illinois CCL - if you move - they should just roll that into a non - resident license, no matter whether the new State has comparable training requirements, you've already completed the required training for an Illinois CCL, so why doesn't the ISP just change the address and State, you pay the extra $$$ and be done with it. It's not right that you've spent the money, done the training, paid the exhorbitant fees and then they say... "hey, you moved across the imaginary line! you are no longer qualified to carry in Illinois."

How freaking stupid can you get.

Stay Safe and Carry Responsibly

Lawsuit already exists. It's Culp v Madigan. I volunteered, but Culp was the stronger plaintiff. I agree with that. ISRA, NRA, SAF, etc weren't looking for all plaintiffs. If they had I would have been included. They were looking for the best plaintiffs to fill certain requirements they were looking for.

Sorry mctheriot, but moving out of Illinois, unless it's to Virginia, South Carolina, New Mexico, or Hawaii, will result in the loss of your license.

IIRC, the primary "similar" characteristic they look for in other states is their mental health reporting.

So it doesn't matter that you are 100% legal and qualified in Illinois... by moving to one of the 45 states not on the "cool kids" list, if you were to have a psychotic break, or even check yourself in for some mild depression treatment, they may not be notified. Thus, they would be deprived of the opportunity to revoke your FOID and FCCL, raid your home and take away all your guns.

And that's simply not acceptable to them...

will they have enough votes to override a veto because we all know that is one bill that he will never sign

I put all my eggs into Culp v Madigan. Whether the courts force Illinois to recognize 2A Rights by not violating 14A Rights, or if the mere existence of the lawsuit is enough to twist some arms, I think Culp v Madigan will push this issue through.

Archived