Firearm use by your spouse/significant other

atmosphere0284

I'm sorry if this topic has been covered before... I did search "sharing" with no answer to my question. My fiance has a FOID and is soon planning on taking her CCW training so my question is can she use/carry my firearms or is it a better idea that she has her own? I ask because she is already familiar with things that I own from going to the range with me and at this point she doesn't want to spend the money on something new (saving for a wedding).

Doesn't matter at all. There is nothing in the law that says you have to carry a firearm that you own. BTW once married it is marital property so they won't be yours anyway. :)

My wife picked hers. She carries a glock 42 and has a bereta px4 with a light for her nightstand

Go and rent as many as you can and let her try them. Don't push anything on her (pulling the slide back is a lot harder for girls)

We have rented many many firearms and she prefers to shoot my 4" 1911. I'd get her one of her own but she wouldnt be happy about it.

Doesn't matter at all. There is nothing in the law that says you have to carry a firearm that you own. BTW once married it marital property so they won't be yours anyway. :)

We have been together since May of 2002... we have long been sailing the "whats yours is mine and whats mine is yours" ship.

Edit to add:

Although alot of the time it feels like "whats yours is mine and whats mine is mine"... LoL

I'm sorry if this topic has been covered before... I did search "sharing" with no answer to my question. My fiance has a FOID and is soon planning on taking her CCW training so my question is can she use/carry my firearms or is it a better idea that she has her own? I ask because she is already familiar with things that I own from going to the range with me and at this point she doesn't want to spend the money on something new (saving for a wedding).

My wife has her own and found she liked mine better. She brought mine to class. She's since bought one of her own just like it. Nothing wrong with sharing. It's probably a best practice just from the angle of her being familiar with whatever is in the mutual home.

Doesn't matter at all. There is nothing in the law that says you have to carry a firearm that you own. BTW once married it marital property so they won't be yours anyway. :)

We have been together since May of 2002... we have long been sailing the "whats yours is mine and whats mine is yours" ship.

Edit to add:

Although alot of the time it feels like "whats yours is mine and whats mine is mine"... LoL

Not to highjack the thread but are you sure you aren't married? :)

I think whatever she feels most comfortable with. If you find yourself without a firearm then you might have to buy more :) Similar to other posts I've seen.

Edit to add:

Not to highjack the thread but are you sure you aren't married? :)

HaHa... In my mind I already am.

Doesn't matter at all. There is nothing in the law that says you have to carry a firearm that you own. BTW once married it is marital property so they won't be yours anyway. :)
Technically, would there not be a "hiccup" due to the fact they are not yet married?

Legally, I see this as no different than loaning/giving a gun to a friend... which would require a transfer.

Technically, would there not be a "hiccup" due to the fact they are not yet married?

Legally, I see this as no different than loaning/giving a gun to a friend... which would require a transfer.

I see not being married as a different story as well. My friend's sister and her boyfriend, although living together, keeps their firearms separated for legal reasons (neither carries as well). Personally, I don't see the point, they know each other's personal safe combo.

I see not being married as a different story as well. My friend's sister and her boyfriend, although living together, keeps their firearms separated for legal reasons (neither carries as well). Personally, I don't see the point, they know each other's personal safe combo.

I'm not sure what they hope to accomplish with this. You are allowed to use someone else's firearm (with permission). And you are allowed to let someone borrow yours. (Both assuming that neither party is a prohibited person.) I can find no Illinois statute against "loaning" the firearm for a friend to use. I do not see any mention of it in 430 ILCS 65/3(a-10).

To the OP: I would suggest having her try your firearms first. And if she prefers a different model / caliber / etc.. then to purchase additional ones.

To the OP: I would suggest having her try your firearms first. And if she prefers a different model / caliber / etc.. then to purchase additional ones.

She has shot, practiced holster draw and even cleaned my firearms... i think there is some personal attachment issues going on here with my 4" 1911.

she has already chosen some preferred thin grips...

attachicon.gifgrips.jpg

now this is just going too far! She may just get her own i don't know if my heart can take it. :no:

I like the pink camo. We were going to get a pink camo shotgun for my wife, until one of our friends made fun of it and convinced her to get a standard faux-wood stock. But if she likes the feel of your firearms, there is absolutely no reason not to share them while you're trying to save up $$, and then purchase new ones (with different grips, etc) once you guys have more money available.

Find out what she likes, then get her a wedding gift. Btw, does Illinois have Common Law Marriage? If so, you might already be married in the eyes of the court.

No, no "common law marriage" here in IL. Although, if you were "common law married" outside of IL, and then moved here, IL will recognize that. "Common law marriage" has been banned in IL since 1905.

Some sources:

http://marriage.laws.com/common-law-marriage-illinois

http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.dsp_content&contentID=2447

http://family.findlaw.com/marriage/state-laws-common-law-marriage.html

http://www.harveyfamilylaw.com/node/8

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080813074007AAVPeeE

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1572&ChapAct=410%20ILCS%20530/&ChapterID=35&ChapterName=PUBLIC+HEALTH&ActName=Marriage%2C+Dissolution%2C+and+Invalidity+Records+Act%2E

Not quite true . Anything you have before marriage is still yours after divorce .

Deleted

Not quite true . Anything you have before marriage is still yours after divorce .

LOL? Tell a woman that before you marry her and see what she says. The Car and the House are mine honey but I will let you live in MY house and drive MY car and you know the food in the fridge is mine since I bought it yesterday. Once married it is both of yours because she says so. If married ask you wife if I am right or you. :) The OP says they plan on getting married not planning on getting a divorce.

Archived