Questions on your 'no guns no money' cards

TheWraith

Re: http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38212

I wanted to first commend your group for supporting each other and your right to self-defense in the State of Illinois. I stumbled across the URL above regarding your "No guns, No money" cards and had a few questions. As an Iowan, they don't really apply to me and I am working with some other individuals in my state to come up with a similar, professional looking card. Your cards are, without doubt, the most aestetically pleasing designs I've seen. Anywhere. Well done. I hope you attribute imitation as the highest form of flattery.

I have no experience using VistaPrint so that is the basis of much of my question(s).

Are the "vignette shading" on the edges actually a part of your design or is that just a byproduct of the card preview images you have? I've never seen business cards (of any type) with this type of graduated shading and was wondering how Vista Print handled that graphical quality. I wasn't sure if it was just something added to the preview images or if your actual cards looked like that. Has anyone taking a picture and uploaded a live image of the cards to your forum? I would love to see what they look like in the flesh. I may just have to order some, just to help support you as our neighbors to the East. ...even though I have no use for them.

The designs we in Iowa are mocking up obviously lack the "illinoiscarry.com" URL and have slightly different "reasons" on the back (we're not fingerprinted in Iowa, etc.). We are also coming up with two different sets of cards because in Iowa a "no guns" sigh has no weight of law. You can be asked to leave a business if they know you are carrying, and if you refuse you can be charged with a misdemeanor treaspass, but it isn't a "gun law violation". Due to this, a business with a "no guns" is really more of a ...suggestion, than anything else.

We've created two different cards in light of Iowa's law in this regard. Card 2 is the most like your design.

CARD 1: ('no guns image') - http://packetmonkey.net/images/CardMock-1.jpg

Your sign does NOT deter criminals

Gun-free zones create a false sense of security and leave families defenseless against acts of violence

CARD 2: ('no guns, no money image') - http://packetmonkey.net/images/CardMock-2.jpg

I saw your sign, and had to leave your business

Turn over why you should remove it

Card 1 doesn't imply the business lost any money. You saw their sign, went in and conducted business anyway, and perhaps handed them the card on the way out to let them learn how their gun-free zone does not protect their customers. We also intend this version of the card to be used in fish bowls where people drop their business cards for prize drawings, etc. Card 2 has the "no guns" and "no money" images, in such cases that you decided to leave the business without giving them your hard earned cash. This card can also be used if you are visiting a neighboring state, such as Nebraska, where "no guns" signs DO have the weight of the law.

The backs of both cards contain the same information:

http://packetmonkey.net/images/CardMock-3.jpg

I would appreciate your response regarding the viginette shading and any feedback you may have.

post-15202-0-41862500-1424187554_thumb.jpg

post-15202-0-31241700-1424187565_thumb.jpg

post-15202-0-65048100-1424187570_thumb.jpg

I have handed out both the "No Guns---No Money" cards as well as the "thank-you" card for respecting my rights. I've handed out more of the "thank-you" cards to both places that never posted as well as places that initially posted and later took down their signs. My reasoning is that this keeps shop owners aware on an ongoing basis of exactly who some of their customers are.

IMO, even though a sign in Iowa may not carry the force of law, if I saw such a sign I emphatically would not do business there and the owner would get a NG---NM card as evidence. At least around here, that's the only way to get their attention. And I know it works. Then again, this is Illinois and we may of necessity not be quite as genteel as our friends on the other side of the river.

Otherwise your card 1, however true it may be, really does nothing to cause the owner to change his predisposition against CCL guns and their owners.

http://defendillinois.com/ can probably answer some of your technical questions. They are indeed shaded, and I agree that they look very professional.

The No Guns No Money cards have been a great project here at Illinois Carry and came together perfectly for the beginning of the recent concealed carry changes. The shading is in fact part of the design and not an artifact of mockup images. At defend Illinois [dot] com there are some photos of cards scattered on a table, those are actual printed cards. I have worked with numerous printers and would be glad to share my experiences with the Gun owners of Iowa.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Prairie Pucker:

I appreciate the feedback on Card 1... that while true, may do little to cause a business to change their opinions. I will have to give that some thought as to what might make more of an impact. As rudamentary as we gun owners might assume it, there are many in Iowa who think the mere presence of guns make things "unsafe". Which, would make a local gun show the most "unsafe place" on the planet, given the abundance of firearms, yet somehow everyone survives. Thus, "no guns" signs make things "safer". There is a misconception that guns just accidentally go off an indiscriminately kill innocent people and are ticking timebombs. It's pure hoplophobia, but it's a reality of what many think adds to an unsafe environment if "guns are nearby".

cjurczak:
The cards made by Illinois Carry utilized Vista Print, yes? If so, I'd be curious if it was their "Standard", "Signature", "Ultra Thick", or even the "Spot Gloss" option. I've heard good things about Vista Print quality, but have not ever ordered anything through them.

I have used 3 different printers for the cards including Vistaprint. I compared prints from different sources and decided on a different supplier. I replied to your email details on my choice. (I'm assuming it was you since the email was asking similar questions)

My final choice was based on print quality, price, and quantity... I have stayed away from high end paper stock so far. Although I have gotten print samples from several sources...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Archived