Pick up person at O'hare

Rangerdeepv

Hey All,

I have been lurking for a couple months and decided to ante up and join. Anyway, I am going to pick up a relative from O'hare. Usually do the loop-de-loo waiting for the person(s) to get their luggage go to bathroom etc. Anyway, is it permissible to carry on the airport roadways? Don't want to get shooed away by the security person then have an incident. I am Illinois CCL'ed and everything is legal but don't want to test the water. Thank You in advance!

You will definitely get shooed away, they are very aggressive about that. Can't imagine why you're worried about carrying though. Unless you plan on showing it to them...........?

I'd probably not worry about it, or just leave it in the car, or have them throw their bag in themself.

Or leave it unloaded in the holster, get there, remove from holster, store in console, get out, help load up car, get back in car, retrieve, load, holster.

But don't rush the loading and holstering even if rent a cop gets on your case. Better to piss them off than to add a hole to your body.

Interesting article in #11, but only with regard to carrying into the TSA check point. It is legal in Florida (and other states) to CC in the non-sterile areas, but not in Illinois nor Wisconsin. The roadways and airports in general are under Illinois and Chicago jurisdiction, and subject to the Illinois vehicle exemption for CC. You can't get out, loaded, to help with the luggage nor in the parking areas, per one or more restrictions in the FCCL.

They make clearing barrels (~ $500) for automobiles, which would be a priority if one chooses to load or unload there. I'm definitely thinking about getting one for home.

Posted · Hidden by Molly B., February 18, 2015 at 02:39 AM - No reason given
Hidden by Molly B., February 18, 2015 at 02:39 AM - No reason given

This whole topic quite frankly totally amazes me. So put the gun in the center console, or the glove box when you pick up your buddy at the airport, if you're really that worked up about it. Loaded, unloaded, whatever. Or leave it at home if you're gonna be catatonic having it with you.

Why all this agonizing? Just deal with it. You'll be ok.

But, If you're gonna take a loaded gun in a backpack to the security checkpoint, ok that's another matter. Then you need to agonize.

And you should know the procedures to baggage-check a firearm for your flight. That's do-able, though I suspect the panic factor might prevent some of this group from even attempting such a legal procedure.

Short of that, chill out. You're just picking someone up in the drive-around. Really, you can't handle that???? I think this is ridiculous. Sorry, that's my 2 cents.

The answers to many questions like this are provided pretty clearly in Section 65 of the FCCA. While there are frequent "discussions" on the meaning of a few of the prohibited areas, this one (along with many others) is well-defined.

It would be worth the OP's (and all CCL holders') time to periodically read through the FCCA, specifically Section 65, since it is admittedly hard to retain it all months after attending a CCL class.

Hmmm..............didn't mean to kick over the hornet's nest at all. There is no agonizing at all as the question was posed to me by a person who does not totally understand the legalese in the law and was trying to determine if it was permissible. In other words she is taking a legal class and this question came up. It states thou shall not carry on any airport property then states the get out of jail free card about having it be 'safe haven' in the car. That is where the confusion comes in.

Whenever I go to Midway to pick up/drop off I carry in the vehicle,but if I get out ,even just to help with luggage,I disarm.Never know what can happen.

Same here. Have to pick up parents from time to time. I just carry the gun in the truck the trip up and down so its just in the vehicle when i get out to help them with their luggage. Wear my holster just in case if I stop somewhere else along the way.

Posted · Hidden by mauserme, February 18, 2015 at 01:11 AM - No reason given
Hidden by mauserme, February 18, 2015 at 01:11 AM - No reason given

This whole topic quite frankly totally amazes me. So put the gun in the center console, or the glove box when you pick up your buddy at the airport, if you're really that worked up about it. Loaded, unloaded, whatever. Or leave it at home if you're gonna be catatonic having it with you.

But, If you're gonna take a loaded gun in a backpack to the security checkpoint, ok that's another matter. Then you need to agonize.

And you should know the procedures to baggage-check a firearm for your flight. That's do-able, though I suspect the panic factor might prevent some of this group from even attempting such a legal procedure.

Short of that, chill out. You're just picking someone up in the drive-around. Really, you can't handle that???? I think this is ridiculous. Sorry, that's my 2 cents.

Love it, couldn't have said it any better. Drama queens needit apply

Posted · Hidden by Molly B., February 18, 2015 at 02:39 AM - No reason given
Hidden by Molly B., February 18, 2015 at 02:39 AM - No reason given

This.

Whenever I go to Midway to pick up/drop off I carry in the vehicle,but if I get out ,even just to help with luggage,I disarm.Never know what can happen.

Everything about what is said in this quote is so backwards. I know its the law, but What the hey!!!. Crime happens everywhere.

I know what you're saying.But my "never know what can happen" was referring to accidental exposure while handling luggage.

Hmmm..............didn't mean to kick over the hornet's nest at all. There is no agonizing at all as the question was posed to me by a person who does not totally understand the legalese in the law and was trying to determine if it was permissible. In other words she is taking a legal class and this question came up. It states thou shall not carry on any airport property then states the get out of jail free card about having it be 'safe haven' in the car. That is where the confusion comes in.

When the FCCA was new, and for quite a while after, it was hard to believe we actually had concealed carry in Illinois. At times people expressed that in ways that were sometimes taken as too much caution, or even as admonitions to avoid carrying in places that were clearly legal to carry.

There are a lot of good answers in this thread, but some reflect those days that are now mostly past when we had to convince people it really was OK to carry in Illinois. I don't think anything was meant by those posts other than that a little frustration still lingers from those earlier days.

Thanks for asking a good question and, by the way, welcome to the forum.

Hello Rangerdeepv,

And welcome to IllinoisCarry.

I want to apologize for some of the responses that you have received here.

I fully understand your concern, this is all new and law abiding citizens do not want any trouble.

And in this case you are likely to have law enforcement crawling all over and possibly yelling at you and or writing tickets, so it is of more concern.

It is never a bad idea to seek clarification or even a second opinion, especially on issues that could get you arrested.

You have received the correct answers, the gun stays concealed in your car, either with or without you (then in a case/container).

I guess I still try to live my mothers saying- 'If you do not have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all'

I don't know why it is so hard to just skip a thread if you do not like it.

Again, welcome to the forum and please feel free to ask more questions (just please search to see if it has been answered before, don't worry I don't think your questions has been asked, at least not lately).

Matt

Welcome Rangerdeepv,

I'm not as well versed in the law as some of the members here, but it's my understanding that as long as you/she remain in the vehicle while carrying, the only places you can get in any trouble would be the federally restricted places (ie. Post offices, etc)

If anybody knows better, please correct me.

Archived