Online ammunition sellers who will ship to Chicago

McCroskey

Natchez Shooter Supply shows on our list of will ship to Chicago, but have balked per response below. Their website indicates Illinois residents must call and provide copy of FOID and DL prior to placing order. After providing the above I get the below response. Have followed up and will update status.

"We do not accept the Chicago area due to state laws. Sorry for the problem"

State law? That explanation makes no sense. Would you be willing to write back to them explaining the 2014 city law that allwos transfer of ammunition?

Yes, that is one of the more out of touch responses I have every received from a vendor. I will follow-up with the appropriate citations to see if they are willing to change their policy, explain their position or simply tell me to take my business elsewhere.

Natchez Shooter Supply shows on our list of will ship to Chicago, but have balked per response below. Their website indicates Illinois residents must call and provide copy of FOID and DL prior to placing order. After providing the above I get the below response. Have followed up and will update status.

State law? That explanation makes no sense. Would you be willing to write back to them explaining the 2014 city law that allwos transfer of ammunition?

Yes, that is one of the more out of touch responses I have every received from a vendor. I will follow-up with the appropriate citations to see if they are willing to change their policy, explain their position or simply tell me to take my business elsewhere.

Thank you. If they don't change their mind I'll strike them from the list. I wish more sellers would openly list their restrictions.

Have we ever considered taking a more proactive approach to this topic? Most ammo vendors fail to clearly post their shipping restrictions on their website. Forcing customers to blindly attempt an order only to have it refused, accompanied by some weak excuse referencing outdated laws or arcane corporate policy. What if we sent a thoughtful letter or email to every vendor we know, officially from Illinois Carry, and ask for their policy regarding ammo shipments to Chicago. Perhaps frame it as a service to our X thousands of members and include reference to relevant law to help them update their policies.

Have we ever considered taking a more proactive approach to this topic? Most ammo vendors fail to clearly post their shipping restrictions on their website. Forcing customers to blindly attempt an order only to have it refused, accompanied by some weak excuse referencing outdated laws or arcane corporate policy. What if we sent a thoughtful letter or email to every vendor we know, officially from Illinois Carry, and ask for their policy regarding ammo shipments to Chicago. Perhaps frame it as a service to our X thousands of members and include reference to relevant law to help them update their policies.

Do any of those that refuse to ship to Chicago charge the cost of an attempted purchase on the customer's credit card? If so the customers that are charged may commence chargebacks.

Around half of those on the list were contacted directly by me. A number of them previously had "no Chicago" policies, that they changed after I contacted them and sent them a link to the gun shop ordinance. After a few months of writing to people and them telling me "yes" or "no", it seemed that most vendors who were unwilling to ship ammo to Chicago said so in their terms of use or shipping requirements, so I began adding vendors who displayed shipping restrictions on their website, but did not note any issues shipping to Chicago or Cook County.

There are sometimes complicating factors. Such as in the case of Midway, they gave different answers to different people who contacted them. They shipped me ammo last year, but then refused others. Same with one or two other sites. So, in some cases, vendors may sell ammo to one person, then the next person gets a different rep who won't do it for whatever reason. We certainly can't account for inconsistent knowledge among customer service reps, so what you see here is offered in good faith.

If anyone would like to help out by contacting vendors and confirming their policy then that would be great. I can't do it all by myself and a couple other folks here have contacted a vendor or two. I don't know that saying we represent IC would necessarily be beneficial or necessary. Just a polite e-mail to their customer service asking them to confirm they will ship ammo to Chicago would be fine, I'm sure. If they say no, then please update them using polite language and a link to the city ordinance:

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/files/chicago-gun-shop-ordinance.pdf

If they still refuse, I'll take them off the list.

A shout out to Freedom Munitions. Placed my ammo order on their website, submitted a copy of my FOID and received the below email. Two days later I received confirmation that my order had shipped. Some vendors seem to have figured out how to navigate the mosaic of rules & regulations and still provide solid customer support. Thanks Freedom.

"Thank you for sending in your FOID card information. That information has been entered into your account for your current order and future orders. Your order will now begin to process and you will receive an email with a tracking number once it has been shipped. If you have any other questions please let me know."

Did you ever hear anything back from Natchez?

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried a number of the vendors listed in this thread, but none would ship to Chicago. I've contacted Selway Armory ( http://www.selwayarmory.com/) and they've agreed to ship to Chicago. Pretty good prices as well.

Thanks for posting all of the information, it's been very helpful.

Could you let me know which ones refused?

I've tried a number of the vendors listed in this thread, but none would ship to Chicago. I've contacted Selway Armory ( http://www.selwayarmory.com/) and they've agreed to ship to Chicago. Pretty good prices as well.

Awesome glad it worked out for you.

+1 on Selway Armory. Glad you had a good experience with them. I have bought from them several times and they have always come through on decent prices and shipping to Chicago. I will continue to patronize them.

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried "DefenderOutdoors". They cancelled the order shortly after I received email confirmation of the order. They said they do not ship to Chicago addresses.

Would you mind following up with them and including the attachment? I've drafted a boilerplate e-mail you can include below:

=====

I wanted to bring to your attention that Chicago has deleted their ammunition transfer restriction, which was the reason most online and mail-order vendors were previously unwilling to ship here. This was done with the passage of the new gun shop ordinance in June 2014, which was in response to a federal court ruling in Illinois Association of Firearms Retailers v Chicago, that the ban on gun and ammunition sales and/or transfer of ammunition in the city was illegal.

The pertinent ordinance was Municipal Ordinance 8-20-100, I have attached a copy of this and you can find it on page number 22 (actual page 24 of the PDF). The original language banned gun stores and transfer of ammunition within the city. The amended ordinance, which was written to comply with the court ruling of January 2014, strikes that language completely and only bans sales of firearms at gun shows. The ordinance came into effect June 24, 2014 after it was signed by the Mayor.

It is now legal to ship ammunition to Chicago under the same FOID guidelines as the rest of the state of Illinois. Will you consider revising your policy?

=====

chicago-gun-shop-ordinance.pdf

I just tried "DefenderOutdoors". They cancelled the order shortly after I received email confirmation of the order. They said they do not ship to Chicago addresses.

Would you mind following up with them and including the attachment? I've drafted a boilerplate e-mail you can include below:

=====

I wanted to bring to your attention that Chicago has deleted their ammunition transfer restriction, which was the reason most online and mail-order vendors were previously unwilling to ship here. This was done with the passage of the new gun shop ordinance in June 2014, which was in response to a federal court ruling in Illinois Association of Firearms Retailers v Chicago, that the ban on gun and ammunition sales and/or transfer of ammunition in the city was illegal.

The pertinent ordinance was Municipal Ordinance 8-20-100, I have attached a copy of this and you can find it on page number 22 (actual page 24 of the PDF). The original language banned gun stores and transfer of ammunition within the city. The amended ordinance, which was written to comply with the court ruling of January 2014, strikes that language completely and only bans sales of firearms at gun shows. The ordinance came into effect June 24, 2014 after it was signed by the Mayor.

It is now legal to ship ammunition to Chicago under the same FOID guidelines as the rest of the state of Illinois. Will you consider revising your policy?

=====

attachicon.gifchicago-gun-shop-ordinance.pdf

I sent the message. I was able to buy ammo at Freedom Munition and Venture Munition after "Defender Outdoors" cancelled my order.

=====

=====

attachicon.gifchicago-gun-shop-ordinance.pdf

I sent the message. I was able to buy ammo at Freedom Munition and Venture Munition after "Defender Outdoors" cancelled my order.

Ok, thanks. Can you respond here if they write back to you and change their policy? I'll delete them from the list for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Question on selwayarmory.com.......where do you upload your Id's at? All their links under "store policies" dont work? Thanks

Question on selwayarmory.com.......where do you upload your Id's at? All their links under "store policies" dont work? Thanks

I believe they will request you e-mail or fax it to them once you place your order.

Have any of you had any issues recently ordering from massammo and having them ship to Chicago?

Someone reported to me the other day that they were denied and offered the (typically stupid, pointless, not to mention illegal) option of shipping it to an address outside of Cook County. But I see a couple people (one of you just a week ago or so) successfully ordered from them.

I e-mailed them to ask about the denial, they haven't responded yet. So, they may need to come off the list, unfortunately, unless we can get them straightended out.

Thank You for this list. I have been researching this for a few days as it's a major pita to see who is willing to sell to us Crook County folks.

Ammunitiondepot.com does NOT ship to cook. They only listed Chicago as prohibited but unfortunately when I emailed them, they don't ship to cook at all.

I checked and you're right. They're not on the list though, so no big deal.

Massammo have confirmed to me via e-mail they will ship ammo to Chicago under the normal Illinois FOID requirements (shipping address must match address on FOID or Driver's License). They are good to go.

LAX Ammo declined to ship to Chicago.

My email:

Hello,

The information available on your web site (https://www.laxammo.com/terms-of-service) for Illinois is out of date.

With the passage of Public Act 98-063 in 2013, we have statewide pre-emption for handguns and ammunition for handguns. Additionally, a ruling in Ezell vs. Chicago resulted in the overturning of city ordinances prohibiting the sale of ammunition. An FFL is NOT required.

At this time, it is legal to order ammunition online and have it delivered to ANY personal residence in ANY municipality in Illinois, provided the ammunition is shipped to a FOID holder and shipped to the residential address on the FOID.

Given this updated information, will you ship an order to a FOID holder in Chicago?

Best regards,

transplant

LAX Ammo response:

An FFL isn't required to ship to Chicago. We simply cannot ship to Chicago at all. Whether it is going to and FFL or a personal residence. I'll have our web developer look into any new laws but as of now, we cannot ship to Chicago at all. I apologize for any inconvenience.

I sent them a follow up response. We'll see what happens.

Rare Ammo sent this tentative but promising response:

Good Morning Mr. Transplant we will check into this for you. We do try and stay up on changes for online shipping. Can you please send us a website were we can verify your information. We would appreciate any help in this matter so that we can better serve our customers.

Thank you
Paula

I responded back to her with more information.

• mauserme locked this topic
  • mauserme unpinned this topic

Archived